'54 Z-Caster

Tonar8353 said:
Burstday.
IMG_9142_zpsa828ba01.jpg

Man, what I like about this is how you still see those lines which define the z-body shape beyond just the outer perimeter. That forearm rest line, in particular.  Tonar, did you wipe/sand away some of the black for that?

No wiping, I followed the outline of the guitar for the black color and then shot the brown into it.

This is nutso, but exactly the right kind of nutso - like something Leo Fender kept chained in his basement.

Just wait til it's got the neck and pickguard on it - it will be the sexiest (and only) 1954 Z-Caster on earth.  :icon_biggrin: I'm taking my time with the pickguard, then I'll take it to a local Strat guy for the proper vintage wiring.

The only thing I'm still unsure of is pickups. At first I was considering the Fender 1954 set but my guitarist friends are talking me into doing Seymours or DiMarzios. I would prefer something as close to a real 54 as possible rather than Texas style Antiquities and DiMarzio seems to have more choices. Maybe something hum-cancelling like Area 58s or standard single coils like the True Velvet set?  :dontknow:

Any suggestions?

If this was a '54 strat I would want the Fender 54's, most of Fender's vintage strat style pups are great.

The new lineage pups are so nice.

Patriot54 said:
The only thing I'm still unsure of is pickups. At first I was considering the Fender 1954 set but my guitarist friends are talking me into doing Seymours or DiMarzios. I would prefer something as close to a real 54 as possible rather than Texas style Antiquities and DiMarzio seems to have more choices. Maybe something hum-cancelling like Area 58s or standard single coils like the True Velvet set?  :dontknow:

Any suggestions?

I don't know what a "real" '54 sounds like (I'm only 54 years old myself), but I suspect it's pretty shabby. Most of those old guitars have a LOT more romanticism about them than any kind of quality build or sound. Even if you liked the sound of one you may have heard, chances are it was a fluke. They didn't even know how to spell "quality control" or "repeatability" back then, let alone exert any effort toward it.

But, if you're interested in experimenting just a tad without taking out a second mortgage on the house, you might want to consider a set of True-coils from GFS. I've played with a lot of different pickups from a number of different manufacturers over the years, and these sound exceptionally good. I mean, if you didn't know any better, you'd think you were playing single coils, but they're noiseless and they're very high-quality parts. It's not like you're getting some half-assed $2 Chinese knock-off. Icing on the cake is there's no marketing at all, so the price is down where if you don't like them, you can almost throw them away. A full set costs about what a single DiMarzio would.

Also, don't forget about Bill Lawrence's (the real Bill Lawrence, Willie Stich) offerings. His stuff is often magical, but suffers the same lack of marketing so you don't hear about them. Again, a bargain price as a result for some very high-quality parts. Pay special attention to the "MicroCoils" (page down a bit; site design leaves a lot to be desired). It's a similar design to the True-Coil, where the bucking coil is much smaller and mounted below the main pickup coil. For both designs, it means they're noiseless relative to a regular old single coil, but they're not truly noiseless. It's just knocked back about 90%. But, because of the low influence of the second coil on the pickup's performance, they just sound like quiet singles.

Cool Project, I missed this one until now. On the topic of pickups, I prefer hum canceling. The DiMarzio Area series is excellent and the 58 is my favorite. I love them in the neck and middle (although the 67 is a great middle also). I prefer a hot/fat bridge pickup so even the Area 61 is not hot enough for my taste. I have the Injector bridge on a couple of guitars but my favorite is the Hot Rails (BUT with coils wired in parallel, in series it is too hot and muddy). Lace Sensor Gold is another low noise Strat pickup I've had good experience with.  FWIW, I have tried the GFS True-Coil and it wasn't bad, keep in mind it is taller than even the Area pickups (because of the extra coil), I had height issues in neck position.

Tonar loves the Callaham Fralin H/SRV sets.  He hangs out with folks that seem to be concerned with this sort of stuff.  I have a set, they are very nice sounding pickups.  Not noiseless, but they do have a magic to them.  Just the right strat sound and they are very easy to play with, they just seem to compliment your stye.  Ken made some for one of Tonar's customers, and while they were not the same as the H/SRV's, the customer really liked them (The most important part I'd say.)  He used them for recording on several things and was happy to report that others from the studio thought they sounded great (enough to comment) as well.  Personally, If I was to choose between Callaham Fralin's and Roadhouse, I'd get a set of Roadhouse pickups because the quality/sound is in the same range, but the price is more forgiving.
Patrick

Fortunately, a "Fender-style" pickup is one of the most bonehead simple electric devices imaginable, so there are at least 50 different places to get them, and they all work fine.

Back