20" radius

u are mega comparing apples and oranges

malmstein is not comparible in skill to a plumber

and just becasue you feel soul is one thing doesnt MAKE it that

malmstein has soul, and can play whatever u give him, dont use the word duplicate too much i was just trying to use it as a comparison

anyways, we have different views hat soul is, i think a shredder plays with soul, you think a blues riffer is soul

soul is soul

and if i wanted to make a unfair comparison...

a garbage man picks up my trash with soul, but a lawyer does his job with less..

where are the aplause??

ladies ladies, don't make me have to separate you.
they all suck equally, now go listen to PanterA.

confederatewk said:
u are mega comparing apples and oranges

malmstein is not comparible in skill to a plumber

and just becasue you feel soul is one thing doesnt MAKE it that

malmstein has soul, and can play whatever u give him, dont use the word duplicate too much i was just trying to use it as a comparison

anyways, we have different views hat soul is, i think a shredder plays with soul, you think a blues riffer is soul

soul is soul

and if i wanted to make a unfair comparison...

a garbage man picks up my trash with soul, but a lawyer does his job with less..

where are the aplause??

This is Malmsteen's version of the blues, lol.

[youtube=425,350]http://youtube.com/watch?v=YM2rXBODKBs[/youtube]

BTW, that is NOT the blues.  His phrasing sucks for the blues; he needs to leave more space between phrases. There was no feeling in that entire clip, just 2 minutes and 22 seconds of pentatonic wanking. 

Moreover, I met Yngwie at G3, and he is a self centered jerk.  Vai and Satch were great, down to earth guys.  Malmsteen just wanted us (the fans) to bask in his awesomeness.  I won't say he's not a good player because he is, but I couldn't stand to be around him for 2 minutes to get an autograph, I have no idea how Vai and Satch put up with him for an entire tour.

Well said.  The blues needs to breathe.  I found myself suffocating halfway through that clip because when I listen to blues, I only breathe between phrases.  Furthermore, blues with tapping just sounds wrong.

Also, that shirt!!!  Amazing.  Doesn't beat that goofy jacket John Paul Jones wears on the 2nd Led Zep DVD, though.

This guys shreds the blues MUCH better than Yngwie.
[youtube=425,350]http://youtube.com/watch?v=muRWVpQEbqY[/youtube]

It's still too busy, but Govan is a MUCH better improvist than Malmsteen.

word to the pantera!!!

but seriously you guys or over judging, ive seen malmstein in concert durring a demo
and he is reallllly goooooood

but u guys are comparing his stuff on the you tube videos, wich were part of a video instructional  that came with his book

it was not a pure judge of his ability to play the blues

tisk tisk, dont you guys know anything, it was a instructional video and the video is just a back up, and yes he was demonstrating keys and sectional of pat. playing

he is very skilled and i dont concider him a blues player, but the guy plays a strat like a shredder....unheard of playing style he def plays with soul

thats the end of that

you blues guys can argue but he is def up there with some of the greatest guitar players
plus,  NOT to offend u guys but blues players are good guitar players and skiled, bu they arent that great!
were talking apples and oranges on the skill level......some gys can soul out blue-ey riffs, and some guys can lick up sections of madness and express thier own sould that way

in fact some may concider shredders to be more talented than a blues player

more skill involved, more precise pick dynamics, etc...

some may concider
but i say that respectably....so dont go of the walls now homes

dudesweet157 said:
This guys shreds the blues MUCH better than Yngwie.

It's still too busy, but Govan is a MUCH better improvist than Malmsteen.

Hmm, he's got some interesting stuff in there!  I still feel like he's just ignoring the drummer and shredding, but that aside there are some pretty unusual licks in there... I'm gonna watch that again...

Edit:  The slide one is much more traditional... very nice playing.  But perhaps this one is a little too traditional, while the other one was a little too out-there.

i though twe were talking fretboards?

anyway i like that slide stuff, he kept it pretty traditional.

and for the record i like metal, well some, i hate shred. there are a couple people i could tolerate but like dbw said music is about inspiration and i can't be inspired by music if ya call it that were a guy gets on stage and and plays half a million notes a measure for 2 hr as if to say hey guys look at me, look what i can do. yeah it's impresive and i can watch a you tube video once in a while but i'll never go to a concert.

and yeah music definately needs to breath, it's all about tension and resolution. fast playing is cool but ya gotta slow it down somewhere. if every one stuck to playing scales on the beat every one would sound alike. but some guys just like to hear there blazing speed all night and let the crowd confirm there awsomeness.

and if ya like speed check out some classical and flamenco guitarists, you'd really be amazed at the things you could do on a nylon string.
and some steel string finger pickers are equally amazing.

DiMitriR33 said:
and if ya like speed check out some classical and flamenco guitarists, you'd really be amazed at the things you could do on a nylon string.

+1 to that...  Al Di Meola, Paco De Lucia and John McLaughlin have a vid up on youtube where the three of them performed in concert...  wow, just wow.

And fingerpickers too, that's all about the artists on Candyrat Records...

This might be sort of abrupt, but getting back to fingerboards... don't Danelectros have a flat fingerboard?

never played a a danelectro or a holdsworth but a 18 radius and a 21" have a wopping .003" diference in height. that is about the thickness of a human hair. as you go up in radius the diferences from one to another will get more and more subtle. an 18 inch radius has only 21 thousandths of arc to it. and with the super light strings you shreaders like you'll never get them low enough for the 3 thou to have an afect. you guys should really try a stiffer string, less buzz and better intonation, nevermind the diference in sound. i actually play faster on an .011 or .012 set than a .009. the string is always where i expect it to be and doesn't bend under normal picking forces. much more precise.

and to be honest i can't tell a gibson 12" radius from a jacson 16" maybe 12 to 20 is noticeable but i play such a wide variety of guitars i don't notice that kind of thing, i don't find fret board radius a hinderance after 12" and don't find find a flat one uncomforable.

also a compound radius is inherantly superior to a strait one, as long as it is designed with the taper of the strings from nut to bridge in mind and not some arbitrary #'s picked to come up with a compromise.
the reason, if you pull a string along a cylindrical surface lengthwise they will be perfectly parrallel, once you turn it at a slight angle there will be a high spot in the middle. you compensate with some extra releif in the neck. with a compound radius your neck is a section of a cone and the strings follow the surface perfectly.
of corse that only helps bending so much but you'll get the strings a bit lower and the neck a bit straiter.
maybe a flatter compound radius would be a better idea but like i demonstrated earlier the diferences are minimal with the radius so high.

Xplorervoodoo said:
DiMitriR33 said:

+1 to that...  Al Di Meola, Paco De Lucia and John McLaughlin have a vid up on youtube where the three of them performed in concert...  wow, just wow.

And fingerpickers too, that's all about the artists on Candyrat Records...

i saw that and wasn't impressed, ok i just think al de miola is a total ass.

this stuf is just awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5zweApcVGA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcR017E139k

DiMitriR33 said:
also a compound radius is inherantly superior to a strait one, as long as it is designed with the taper of the strings from nut to bridge in mind and not some arbitrary #'s picked to come up with a compromise.

Not if you play slide.  That's why Jimmy Page used the Dano for slide.

Back