1/2 warmoth experiment

Wood gran filler added.  I really like this Master Craft stuff.  Rub it on.  Let it dry a bit, 15-30 minutes.  Rub it off with a burlap type rag.  Let is dry over night.  Minimal mess and even smells good.

I rounded out the lower horn a bit too

75EB2AAB_zps40610a6d.jpg

When I saw that, the first thing that came to mind was "That fool! He's unwrapped the alien from its protective shell!" All that goopy, smeary, snotty stuff that smells like death still covering the raw beast underneath...

Yeah, I should always wait a minute after a nap before looking at some of this stuff... <grin>

Perry Combover said:
Any progress on your neck search?

Still waiting for the right one to pop up.  Unfortunately I am looking at Warheads.  Not too many of them

DMRACO said:
Perry Combover said:

Still waiting for the right one to pop up.  Unfortunately I am looking at Warheads.  Not too many of them

You can get any showcase Strat neck cut to a Warhead for the standard $45 upcharge.

Bagman67 said:
You can get any showcase Strat neck cut to a Warhead for the standard $45 upcharge.

I suspect that's why they don't stock many of them. It's a superior design, so force the custom order or the modification. Either way, it's more money for little investment.

Bagman67 said:
DMRACO said:
Perry Combover said:

mmmmmmmmmm :icon_scratch:

Opens up possibilities, doesn't it?

I've had it done twice. You can't tell it's been done when you get the neck.

What was the name of the eBay seller's name?

Based on your body color choice, I would go with bubinga/ebony.

Gee even that made the Zebra pop.  :eek:

Ya still going an orange tint ?  ..... I hope  :blob7:

DMRACO said:
Wood gran filler added.  I really like this Master Craft stuff.  Rub it on.  Let it dry a bit, 15-30 minutes.  Rub it off with a burlap type rag.  Let is dry over night.  Minimal mess and even smells good.

I rounded out the lower horn a bit too

75EB2AAB_zps40610a6d.jpg
Where did you source Master Craft grain filler?

I got the Master Craft from a local True Value Harware.  They had to order it.  Took three days...no shipping.

The Showcase has spoken.  Picked this up for $167 (plus $20 for SS frets)

Decent Birdseye maple, pau ferro board, ebony plug and skunk stripe.  Not sure why so inexpensive.  Most of birds eye this good are over $200.  Must be the ebony.  Anyhow this is my first Vintage/Modern neck.  I hope I am not disappointed with the single truss rod

I may do some slight reshaping of the headstock....

neckfront_zps76fdb47a.jpg

neckback_zps20c0972e.jpg

headstock_zps5694bc68.jpg

headstockback_zps1613dc2e.jpg

That's a nice neck!

It's funny the deals that show up every once in a while. It's like they're testing us to make sure we're paying attention to the Showcase. One of my brothers got a pro version of a very similar neck (Pau Ferro over Maple) a couple months ago for a similar price. Couldn't believe it when we saw it. Did a wipe-on poly finish (Behlen's Master Gel) and it came out great. You might consider that for yours, unless you have other plans. It's fast and easy and can be done indoors.

Big Brown is on its way.  The neck will be here Friday.  I am sill deciding on the neck color.  Should I leave it natural?  Vintage Amber?  Or just some amber on the top of the headstock?  The guitar will be my 1st tri-burst attempt...amber-orange-black.....

Thoughts?

I also need to fill the pilot holes for the neck screws.  A simple dowl and wood glue should work well.

the neck arrive today.  I only have to fill two of the holes.  The other two line up.

I have to decide if I am going to reshape.
Here is the original
2AD91558_zpsd0b84ed9.jpg

This is what I would reshape to:
AC0A0D81_zps7ba136be.jpg

Here it is on the body..
F332B1C3_zpsf8cb3ae5.jpg

At the minimum I will soften the edges ala Tonar.  I may try to sand the ball end off a bit...somewhere between the strat and warhead...

Thoughts?

The more I look the more I want to reshape.  I am certainly going to put the warhead shaped end on it first.  I may skip doing the gentle curve on the middle section.  I want to keep it angular.  If it needs to be smoothed, I can still do it. 

This will be a good chance to use my new band saw.  Of course I am going to practice on some scrap first.

Back