zebra strat

dmraco

Master Member
Here is some progress.  put on some red stair diluted 50% with naptha.  Added some real nice color.  As the body stand I have 6 coats of satin clear.  I used a whole can for boththe guitar and neck.  The finish is PERFECT with just a little grain showing.

I have another post on this going but I would hate to spray more clear and ruin the look.  I do want to make sure my finish is thick enough and the bddy it protected.

thoughts

I love it... :headbang:
The diluted red really gave it a beautiful hue.  That combined with the unusual zebra pattern really make it a beauty.  Usually the zebra pattern is very stripy, but this really has some great variation. 
:kewlpics: :rock-on:

Looks great, not sure why you are thinking of putting more paint on it - if you're happy, I'd leave it. FWIW, the wipe-on poly type they only recommend three coats.

rapfohl09 said:
Loving this strat :icon_thumright: What are you thinking for a neck? All ebony FTW!!

nothing fancy...strat neck, maple with rosewood.  I matched the finish to that of the body.

dmraco said:
Here is some progress.  put on some red stair diluted 50% with naptha.  Added some real nice color.  As the body stand I have 6 coats of satin clear.  I used a whole can for boththe guitar and neck.  The finish is PERFECT with just a little grain showing.

I have another post on this going but I would hate to spray more clear and ruin the look.  I do want to make sure my finish is thick enough and the bddy it protected.

thoughts

Hey dmraco,

What is this "red stair" stain that you mixed with naptha?  :icon_scratch:
Man, the more I look at this strat, the more I love the way it just has a hue of the red.  :glasses9:  It goes great with the grains of Zebra!
Have you used this process with any other colors?  I think I might want to give it a try...
:rock-on:

It was minwax Sedona red.  The combo may have been more like 60/40.  60% stain, 40% naptha.

what I did was stain the neck with 100% stain since the maple does not take the stain as well as the other woods.  I then played with a mixture until the colors were very close.  I tried 50/50 but it was too light so I added some more stain.  you can see my test areas in the neck pocket and pick-up holes.  I am currently on vacation but will post some photos of the neck when I return.

dmraco said:
It was minwax Sedona red.  The combo may have been more like 60/40.  60% stain, 40% naptha.

what I did was stain the neck with 100% stain since the maple does not take the stain as well as the other woods.  I then played with a mixture until the colors were very close.  I tried 50/50 but it was too light so I added some more stain.  you can see my test areas in the neck pocket and pick-up holes.  I am currently on vacation but will post some photos of the neck when I return.

Thanks and have some nice down time  :eek:ccasion14:

i really like that look.

I've always wanted a hot-rod VIP hippie raw wood looking guitar - that finish might be just the ticket!

Needs more cowbell.....
rofl.gif

I think the finish on that thing looks impeccable!  Nice wood too!  Can't wait to see this one finished!

Zebrawood is one of those things that I like, but I could never figure out what to put with it, like neck wood wise and things, same with canary. This thing looks awesome! What pickups man?

PICS!

not sure what PUs  I think am going for the Dimarzio Nortons...There is a guitar show next weekend near my house...I will see what I can "PICKUP" there!!!! :laughing8: :laughing8: :laughing8:

seriously considering the P-rails.....
Here is my neckplate...kinda goes withthe Storm theme.

some updates....getting the body together.  the colors matches came out well considering all the different types of wood.  BTW...that is a fly on headstock!

electronics next!!!

Back