zebra strat

dmraco

Here is some progress.  put on some red stair diluted 50% with naptha.  Added some real nice color.  As the body stand I have 6 coats of satin clear.  I used a whole can for boththe guitar and neck.  The finish is PERFECT with just a little grain showing.

I have another post on this going but I would hate to spray more clear and ruin the look.  I do want to make sure my finish is thick enough and the bddy it protected.

thoughts

bbl4ck

I love it... :headbang:
The diluted red really gave it a beautiful hue.  That combined with the unusual zebra pattern really make it a beauty.  Usually the zebra pattern is very stripy, but this really has some great variation. 
:kewlpics: :rock-on:

tfarny

Looks great, not sure why you are thinking of putting more paint on it - if you're happy, I'd leave it. FWIW, the wipe-on poly type they only recommend three coats.

dmraco

rapfohl09 said:
Loving this strat :icon_thumright: What are you thinking for a neck? All ebony FTW!!

nothing fancy...strat neck, maple with rosewood.  I matched the finish to that of the body.

bbl4ck

dmraco said:
Here is some progress.  put on some red stair diluted 50% with naptha.  Added some real nice color.  As the body stand I have 6 coats of satin clear.  I used a whole can for boththe guitar and neck.  The finish is PERFECT with just a little grain showing.

I have another post on this going but I would hate to spray more clear and ruin the look.  I do want to make sure my finish is thick enough and the bddy it protected.

thoughts

Hey dmraco,

What is this "red stair" stain that you mixed with naptha?  :icon_scratch:
Man, the more I look at this strat, the more I love the way it just has a hue of the red.  :glasses9:  It goes great with the grains of Zebra!
Have you used this process with any other colors?  I think I might want to give it a try...
:rock-on:

dmraco

It was minwax Sedona red.  The combo may have been more like 60/40.  60% stain, 40% naptha.

what I did was stain the neck with 100% stain since the maple does not take the stain as well as the other woods.  I then played with a mixture until the colors were very close.  I tried 50/50 but it was too light so I added some more stain.  you can see my test areas in the neck pocket and pick-up holes.  I am currently on vacation but will post some photos of the neck when I return.

bbl4ck

dmraco said:
It was minwax Sedona red.  The combo may have been more like 60/40.  60% stain, 40% naptha.

what I did was stain the neck with 100% stain since the maple does not take the stain as well as the other woods.  I then played with a mixture until the colors were very close.  I tried 50/50 but it was too light so I added some more stain.  you can see my test areas in the neck pocket and pick-up holes.  I am currently on vacation but will post some photos of the neck when I return.

Thanks and have some nice down time  :eek:ccasion14:

mayfly

i really like that look.

I've always wanted a hot-rod VIP hippie raw wood looking guitar - that finish might be just the ticket!

DangerousR6

Needs more cowbell.....
rofl.gif

tt0511

I think the finish on that thing looks impeccable!  Nice wood too!  Can't wait to see this one finished!

rapfohl09

Zebrawood is one of those things that I like, but I could never figure out what to put with it, like neck wood wise and things, same with canary. This thing looks awesome! What pickups man?

PICS!

dmraco

not sure what PUs  I think am going for the Dimarzio Nortons...There is a guitar show next weekend near my house...I will see what I can "PICKUP" there!!!! :laughing8: :laughing8: :laughing8:

dmraco

seriously considering the P-rails.....
Here is my neckplate...kinda goes withthe Storm theme.

dmraco

some updates....getting the body together.  the colors matches came out well considering all the different types of wood.  BTW...that is a fly on headstock!

electronics next!!!