Wow... ok. I need some help.

kataar

ok... so I've been at least attempting to plan my first warmoth. I just seem to have a problem choosing the wood... :( I know everything else except for the finish and the types of wood (for the body or the neck). oh, and I know that i dont want to have a finish on the neck, so some type of exotic wood.  :icon_thumright:  hmm... so, any help would be greatly appreciated.

heres what I got so far:

-7/8ths strat body
-contoured heel
-24 3/4" scale, 24 fret neck, standard thin, not too sure about the nut width...
-tuners-- since I'm going to have the locking nut, i wont need locking tuners, so i could go with the Gotoh SG38's right? or is there some better ones?
-abalone blocks or dots not too sure.
-Stainless steel frets... not sure about the size.
-routed for dual humbuckers (dimarzio evolutions)
-Not too sure about the control config.
-recessed original floyd
Wood
-looking for a bit of a harder distortion sound, but something that cleans up well
-some wood thats nice to look at (very important.) same for the finish.

ok... so maybe i have a bit more that I have to plan than i originally thought... well, thats why you write it down right? :D

once again, any help is GREATLY appreciated!  :) thank you guys!

I think that Korina (body) Rosewood (Neck) and Ebony (FB) make up a really nice combination for a nice tone. Distortion comes out fat but not muddy.
You could swap Rosewood for Wenge for a bit more deeper tone, or bloodwood for some more highs and added sustain..

this is only based on my personal experience, and since every piece of wood is different, others may have different experiences.

I have all rosewood, rosewood/ebony and wenge/ebony necks; to my ear the wenge is "brighter" than rosewood.

m4rk0 said:
I think that Korina (body) Rosewood (Neck) and Ebony (FB) make up a really nice combination for a nice tone.

Me too.  :icon_thumright:  Marko and I both have 2-humbucker guitars in that wood combination and we love them.

I thought the 7/8 Strat body wasn't generally available... have you checked with Warmoth on that, Kataar?

jackthehack said:
I have all rosewood, rosewood/ebony and wenge/ebony necks; to my ear the wenge is "brighter" than rosewood.

yeah, have the same experience here :) but its not just more bright, it also feels more boomy. I prefer wenge over rosewood for the feel I guess, but perhaps the comparison is not really accurate, since my wenge neck is a standard thin profile, and the rosewoods are boat profiles.

Orpheo said:
jackthehack said:

yeah, have the same experience here :) but its not just more bright, it also feels more boomy. I prefer wenge over rosewood for the feel I guess, but perhaps the comparison is not really accurate, since my wenge neck is a standard thin profile, and the rosewoods are boat profiles.

All my necks are standard thin profile; another way to put the comparison is that all other things being equal, rosewood is pretty close to mahogany in tone; wenge about halfway in between mahogany and maple in terms of brightness, to use examples that everyone has had their hands on at one time or another.

dbw said:
I thought the 7/8 Strat body wasn't generally available... have you checked with Warmoth on that, Kataar?

From what I've read from Gregg, it's not on the site, but its available. but your right, I should probably double check with warmoth.

heres where Im at on woods right now:

fret board, macassar ebony
neck back, satine/bloodwood or wenge
body, black Korina
not sure if i wanna do a lam top...

dang, im so indecisive :(

Back