Tuners compatible with vintage Fender Malibu neck? (Photo within)

The difference is about 20mm and change, which is longer than the free space at the butt end of the heel, so i’m not sure that would be viable with a standard 4-bolt layout ,
but maybe a _modified_ bolt layout could work

Yeah indeed—

The neck is a standard 25.5” scale length, BUT

the wrinkle is that it’s a 20-fret neck and the mounting holes at the heel are almost an inch closer to the nut than they are on a standard Fender neck

which means (i reckon) the bridge will need to be scooted back by the same distance

it’ll be an ugly duckling for sure, but at the same time (maybe?) kinda neato

I am not sure which direction you mean by back. The below is a constant for any given scale length.

Bridge<-----------------------------------------------scale length-------------------------------------------------->Nut

Trying to mount something into a neck pocket where the heel is designed to end at the green line with a neck that is designed to end at the red line, the whole lot needs to shift to maintain the scale length.

| |
Bridge<-----------------------------------------------scale length-------------------------------------------------->Nut​

Sketches above are not to scale :)

Better to make a body than trying to adapt one. Either way, better to have your design worked out before starting.

I am not sure which direction you mean by back. The below is a constant for any given scale length.

Bridge<-----------------------------------------------scale length-------------------------------------------------->Nut

Trying to mount something into a neck pocket where the heel is designed to end at the green line with a neck that is designed to end at the red line, the whole lot needs to shift to maintain the scale length.

| |
Bridge<-----------------------------------------------scale length-------------------------------------------------->Nut​

Sketches above are not to scale :)

Better to make a body than trying to adapt one. Either way, better to have your design worked out before starting.
Thanks! Yeah I meant shift the bridge away from the nut (e.g., get a body without an existing bridge route and position the bridge according to the scale length)

Spud’s idea of trying new compensating mounting holes in the neck heel seems attractive because if it could be made to work, a standard bridge position relative to the neck pocket would be possible

However if that doesn’t work, i reckon designing a body as you suggest would produce the best result

Back