Wiring ? (2 pots, 2 pups, want separate Vol control & a tone pot in there too!)

rauchman

Greetings,

If one has a 2 pup guitar with space for only 2 pots...

If using DPDT pots...

I know 1 pickup can be routed to 1 DPDT pot, where it can be flipped between Vol and Ton.  My question is, as a hypothetical, if while in Vol mode, the pot is turned to 5, then the knob is pulled up to activate Tone, is the Tone automatically set to 5 since that's where the knob was turned to, or is it at 10 and can then be dialed down (hope I'm explaining that right)?

I'm interested in a 7/8 body.  I also vastly prefer independent Vol controls for each pickup (long time LP player).  The 7/8 body only has room for 2 pots.  Thinking of solutions to have 2 Vol's and at least 1 Ton control.  My thought is to use a separate DPDT pot wired to each pickup.  Use the pot to select between Vol and Ton for that pickup it's wired to, but not sure if this is limiting how Vol would be controlled when switched to Tone.

A pot with is a switch is still a single pot. The switching is completely separate from the pot - it's just two functions in one piece and it's a passive device that can't "remember" anything on its own.

Off the top of my head, you can:

1. Have the switch bypass one function and control the other.
2. The pot is volume and the switch switches in a preset tone rolloff.
3. Each pot is a volume and together the switches determine 4 preset tone rolloffs (with a big ugh in terms of usability).
4. One or more concentric pots if you can live with fiddling with concentric pots.

Like @drewfx says (#4), you could have two concentric pots the way Danelectro does it.
Each concentric pot controls one pickup with volume and tone.

57_Black_Web.png

It seems you are conflating two things. A pot with a DPDT switch can either be a volume or tone and the switch is a separate function tacked on the bottom. It is one pot.

The other thing are stacked concentric pots, that are two pots in a single pot space. They work independently.

rauchman said:
If using DPDT pots...

I know 1 pickup can be routed to 1 DPDT pot, where it can be flipped between Vol and Tone.

No, this would not work. As soon as you switched to Tone, there would be no Volume control and you would have a maximum output all the time.

Personally, I would go master volume and master tone like most superstrats and modern guitars use, but concentrate pots would be the only way to get all four controls with two holes.

The only way to do it is with concentric pots.  Inner pot, volume, outer pot, tone.  I always found having just one volume and one tone easier to deal with, though a strat set up works for me too.

Back