Why spend so much money on warmth?

Actually I don't think they're that expensive. Sure I'm a bottom feeder and it's hard to get me to pay more than $500 for an instrument (unless I can do it piecemeal), but relative to similar quality, you're probably looking at a $700-1000 guitar from Fender/et al. 

Mx481james said:
I've had many players say why would you want a parts caster ?

That is a weird question.
Take a look at almost any of the iconic guitarists' main guitar.
You would be hard pressed to find one that was stock. Almost all of them have been modded in one way or another, usually radically--or made from parts from other guitars.

Part of Leo Fender's (and company) whole design concept was that if the neck broke, you could just get a new one.

Every school kid who ever read Jack London knows warmth is important.
EIPVD3jXUAAWCHp.jpg

Building guitars and amps is a hobby in itself, and hobbies exist just to burn cash. When buying gear, I do pay attention to reliability, I've been burned on boutique gear too often. When building gear, I only concern myself with the build. I don't expect anything in return but experience.

I came to warmoth because I wanted to try a new pickup/preamp setup and wasn't happy with market offerings on pre-built basses. This makes the end product feel like 'my guitar' instead of some 'namebrand with modded pups/pre.' I didn't have to cut any corners at all. Got all the woods, the bridge rout, the pickup placement all without plugging/redrilling a single hole. The guitar feels purpose made instead of off the shelf and ruinedModified.

Who ever said it's better going warmoth over buying and modifying is right in most cases I think .
I don't know why I did it but I recently bought a new fender American original '50s Stratocaster. Yes I was going to change the neck . The pups were ok not Lindy's or Lollar . The pick guard seemed cheap . So I put it up for sale and it sold overnight . By the way for exactly what I payed for it. That little fender on the head stock has consumer power lol ...
You folks are right about there really not that expensive. That strat was new and a deal at $1800. In this crazy market .

Loss is all relative. If you buy a brand new PRS, Fender Custom Shop, etc... you could expect to loose at least 30% pre-pandemic. On a $4-$8k instrument that's more than all the parts for your Warmoth build.

If you know how to do fretwork, proper tuner installation (those misaligned tuner holes and slanted tuner buttons are never enticing), and finish then you will hardly ever loose money reselling a neck; aside from how worthy you consider your labor time to be.
I've actually made profit on most of them due to the added work.

But if you do insist selling the guitar as a whole then brace yourself for a generally considerable loss as you now need to find a buyer who wants the same guitars as yours for the price you paid.
The more exotic/fancy you go the harder it is to find that buyer.

That's one reason I keep coming back to Warmoth and others equivalent builders.

I'm also now finally able to get exactly the feel I want out of a neck by rolling fingerboard edges.
My only option to get that along with dyed wood aesthetics would be 8-10k Fender Custom Shop instruments that have a 1-3 years of wait; that will loose more value than the Warmoth build will cost me. It's hardly an option.

Seamas said:
LOL at Computer.

I traded a Fender Rhodes for a 4x CD-ROM
Burner when they were both worth about $150.

I really didn't expect 1) the Rhodes to ever be worth anything, let alone $2k, or 2) that 30 years later we'd still be arguing about what $5k workstation has a passable Rhodes emulation

You know I've bought and sold fender custom shop models and never lost 30%. Sometimes I had to wait  for my price . I've had a few Gibson custom shop's . One was used and a made quite a profit. The new one took awhile but broke even . I had a heritage eagle jazz box that I couldn't sell . Had mandolin brothers broker it and broke even .  I had 3 collings electrics , two I love and one I sold and took a beating .
You make a good point about warmoth necks . I had 3 I sold and they sold quick and for very good money.

[MOD EDIT - CONTENT DELETED]

I will agree that you build Warmoth based guitars because you can get exactly what you want, not what's hanging on the wall at GuiTarget or Sam Smash. Selling that special guitar you spec'd out will be a hard sell, unless it's real mainstream and you don't mind taking a big beating to offload it.

Something like a mahogany body/neck Strat, 24.75" scale tiltback, ebony fretboard, hardtail with three humbuckers in Fiesta Red with a vintage tint gloss neck, ebony overlay headstock. that's an itch I need to scratch soon and yeah, it might not sell if I tried to offload it. But, I'm not able to get that off the hook at the local purveyor of stringed things.

Warmoth is actually the inexpensive way to buy a custom guitar.  I would have to spend a lot more on the initial purchase cost if I wanted equivalent specs on a build to order customised guitar.    I don't understand what this question is about.  ???

If you are worried about resale, definitely buy something off the shelf.

Johnny it's a rhetorical question. If you read my responses you'll see that

You may notice that the first responses are positive . Then human nature kicks in and some want to be defensive . But it's not  insulting because we all share the same passion for warmoth and express it differently.
Some people embrace the positive others accentuate the negative.
Here it's pretty nice , I was on a motorcycle forum and posted a response. Well now , it was against the narrative and I was attacked like a pack of wolves lol. I call it keyboard ego and luckily it's not prevalent here.

To shift a bit back toward positivity, I agree that getting into WM building for purpose of resale is a foolish gamble. If it's even an inkling in one's mind before getting into it, even if it's not a primary goal. After all, we're talking about the sale of a good with a market demand of 1, if any of us had a basic intro-to-economics course.

And conversely, if one is trying to build something with the appeal of a mass-production Fender or Gibson.....why would anyone want to buy anything other than a mass-production Fender or Gibson for probably half the price?

What I've been taking out of my WM experience is learning.  Sure, I could swap out parts on my existing instruments before, maybe even do some setup. But it wasn't until I started a few non-WM kits that I started getting my feet wet in this world of guitar building. Then I took the plunge on my first WM because WM had the unique body available in the Showcase that I wanted (three, in fact....pre-pandemic, obviously).

I haven't played in a band in about 10 years and quite frankly, I don't see going back to it anymore. But guitar building has inspired me to at least start playing for myself again, even if it's only 10 minutes here, 6 minutes there, maybe once or twice a week if I'm lucky.  I've also gotten back into the habit of keeping a notebook or sketchbook nearby in case I get struck with design ideas (I used to do this when I was more involved in art).

And finally, in that learning process, I've learned so much more about woodworking and tools over the last two years than in the decades+ since I was last in a wood shop class in junior high school.  By applying what I'm learning to something I have an affinity for anyway and also understand the practical effects of technique in a subject of familiarity, I can absorb and internalize the fundamentals of woodworking better and more deeply than if I was to practice on furniture, for example.

But as I'm learning woodworking, I can then transfer that knowledge TO some beginner furniture or cabinetry, or at least understand the terminology when speaking to a furniture maker or cabinet maker.  I may not have made dados or rabbets personally, but I now know what they are.

So I think that makes the cost of the Warmoth hobby worthwhile.  To me, there has been a larger and more significant benefit than just ending up with a custom guitar built to the specs I had in my head. The unexpected gains -- even starting to evaluate and maintain the tools I've acquired since beginning this adventure -- have been immeasurable and priceless.

If I was in it just to get a cool guitar in the end, I'd have built one, looked at the total cost, and just gone back to production models (like I suspect was the realization that some of the more recent new forum members discovered after posting 3-5 times then disappearing).

My objective now is to keep improving in building bodies out of blanks, so in the meantime, I'll still be buying necks from WM (unless a really sweet body comes around that I don't already have a template for).  Then, I'd like to delve into building necks.  That might eventually take me out of the WM pool, but I know myself and my available-time capacity; it's not happening for several years to come, as I'm still a rank novice at bodies.

NedRyerson said:
To shift a bit back toward positivity,
Indeed :)
What I've been taking out of my WM experience is learning.  Sure, I could swap out parts on my existing instruments before, maybe even do some setup. But it wasn't until I started a few non-WM kits that I started getting my feet wet in this world of guitar building. Then I took the plunge on my first WM because WM had the unique body available in the Showcase that I wanted (three, in fact....pre-pandemic, obviously).
I started from a similar / not identical point. I bought a Strat knowing I'd want to replace it's stock neck with a custom 1-3/4" nut version, the standard narrow neck on electrics is a complete non-starter for me. as I played that instrument while waiting for my MusiKraft neck to arrive, I found a lot of things I didn't love about the Fender build. The new  neck addressed some of that, definitely not the whole shebang and that's what moved me to order the Rosewood>Mahogany W-Strat body and commence a finish & build cycle that ran to nearly 6 months.

Being completely over the moon happy with the outcome, I've also improved my rig with amplifiers better suited to the tone I like and (thanks @Trevor!) added some pedals. Finally now, I've stepped half-way into the darkseide with a hybrid valve amp and this weekend I should be able to finish my new speaker cab built around a Celestion 12".

The last build for a very long time will be the quilt maple I've just received, the pickups I want are  on backorder, so I'm not in a huge rush to commence.

I like the strat I built better than any $4000 custom I've seen yet. The coming build is gonna be better and have a different tone that I'm looking forward to having.

Before I add any more electrics, I'll be buying a custom Santa Cruz acoustic. While I think I could make myself a nice acoustic, doing one by hand is probably a next-life project.

My objective now is to keep improving in building bodies out of blanks, so in the meantime, I'll still be buying necks from WM (unless a really sweet body comes around that I don't already have a template for).  Then, I'd like to delve into building necks.  That might eventually take me out of the WM pool, but I know myself and my available-time capacity; it's not happening for several years to come, as I'm still a rank novice at bodies.

I have no doubt I could do a good body from blank, the uni where I work offers an annual class in constructing your own strat style axe and I've got access to fully professional NC routers that would make the job of full custom pretty easy. **However** .. at the cost of Warmoth body, and the hassle of sourcing tonewoods, I look at that and the only thing I want to make that way now is a body from a huge beech burl on a tree that's likely to be taken down in a winter storm one of these years. Until that happens, along with the time needed to properly dry such a piece of lumber, I don't see doing any from scratch Until that piece of wood comes around.

The joy of creating something.  The hands on experience of fitting parts, adding more to the carves, and learning how things work.  Knowing that most of the guess work is taken care of by a quality and custom manufacturer is a very sexy reason to go warmoth.  I have been carving my own bodies lately and have enjoyed that even more. 

I have also learned that I like my necks like I like my woman: with a bit of body.  The 59 and the fatback are awesome.  I thought I was going to be a regular old C guy, but I've learned otherwise. 

Taking the sander to a body or neck, customizing shapes, and finishing the wood myself it a lot of fun.

Mx481james said:
Johnny it's a rhetorical question. If you read my responses you'll see that

You may notice that the first responses are positive . Then human nature kicks in and some want to be defensive . But it's not  insulting because we all share the same passion for warmoth and express it differently.
Some people embrace the positive others accentuate the negative.
Here it's pretty nice , I was on a motorcycle forum and posted a response. Well now , it was against the narrative and I was attacked like a pack of wolves lol. I call it keyboard ego and luckily it's not prevalent here.

From my side, this hasn't got to do with ego.  Its the nature of Custom built guitars, they will cost more, may not have a mainstream brand name on the headstock, and also have poorer resale value.  These aspects should be obvious to everyone, so it doesn't require much discussion IMO.

I'm not sure how to respond to your "rhetorical question", apart from it being a binary choice to build a custom guitar, or not.  In the last few years there are more off-the-shelf guitars at lower price points that offer features such as stainless steel frets and compound radius fretboards.  To me they offer better value, but still do not qualify as custom guitars.  Are you trying to make the point that we should not spend money on Warmoth products, and buy special order finished guitars from the Fender custom shop or somewhere else instead? 

Johnny you miss the point of post .
The only part of my last post is it's a rhetorical ?  If you read my follow up posts you should see I'm very supportive of warmoth products.

Rhetorical ( of a question ) ask in order to produce an effect or to make a statement

I was referring to keyboard bullies as a generality not directed to you or anyone specific

I apologize if I was misunderstood

Someone here thought it was strange for another player to question why I would want to bother with a parts caster . I little back ground , I have a few top line guitars . I had a private stock PRS that was $10,000. And quite a few found it interesting that I prefer playing a warmoth one night . I'm not a big fan of the stop tail peace only on it . And I just love the 10/16 and really says something very special about warmoth to me . Years ago it was like they almost single-handedly brought that to the market . When you think about how well it works and they don't charge extra WOW .  warmoth has carved out such a niche with great quality control and building options .
Like I stated earlier because of them I'm loving bolt on necks . I would have thought it crazy to think I prefer a parts caster over my PRS, Collings, custom shop Gibson 57 Les Paul , crazy but true 😁

I had Fender report/delist a listing of mine 15 years ago on eBay because it was a guitar made from both Warmoth Strat neck and body. It was clearly advertised as such (heck 1st sentence specifically stated so) but at the time they were pretty quick to get listings like those removed.
I don't know if they still do it but there's not much impact / bad publicity for doing that on their end; meaning no one knows but the buyer (and you can't appeal) and it's not a high profile thing like Gibson going after every single company they possibly can (those are indeed not good publicity).

Back