Need recommendation on selling my Warmoth

LoxFL

So I have had my Thinline for sale for 2+ months with nothing but frustration. I will start by saying I have no need to sell it but I dont have an attachment to this one unlike my Warmoth '50 Esquire and '51 Broadcaster. also I know I am not getting what a paid for it which is why its priced what it is.

I posted it for sale here https://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=30651.0 as well as on Reverb and Facebook and have had the craziest inquiries. I had a few people offer me money so low it was less than the body cost alone. I had 5 people think its a Fender then back out when they finally understood what Warmoth is like Warmoth is a disease or garbage. I had a guy offer me a Taylor T5z but it was beat up pretty bad from mimicking a drum for live shows. Last a guy today wants to trade but has yet to send me the pics of the guitars he is willing to trade.

My question is would I fare better by just selling the body, neck, pickups, etc. separate?

I'm with Mayfly.  As a practical matter, the folks in the know about Warmoth tend to be in the market for parts - and the folks who are not in the know will think a non-Fender, non-boutique partscaster cannot be worth much.  I faced the same problem when I sold my Bête Noire beauty-contest winner. 

Agree with the above responses. Much of the appeal of Warmoth disappears when you're selling a complete guitar.

The appeal will reappear if you lower the asking price to 1/4 of the cost of the original parts in total.
I'd put it on ebay, of course charge for shipping, and if I'd get over 1/4 of the cost let it go.  If not part it out.  Of course, parting it out you have to deal with the hassle of dealing with multiple people, but you will get more money.  Who knows you could be lucky and everyone will want a piece of your git.

Did you try bringing it around to a local music store?  Pawn shops will only insult you so don't go there.

Problem is when it comes to resale, unless it's something high end, in the guitar world you never get what you think it's worth.  Musicians are penny pinchers.  In sum, parting it out, more money, but more hassle.

The Big W doesn't have a name brand you see at every g.d. (golly darnt) guitar centre on the blue marble (that's earth). The average mouthbreathing GC shopper doesnt know jack about these magnanimous mechanisms and if they see it on Reverb they're just like "whaat? how come there ain't no logo on the headstock? or why don't it say Fender even though it looks like a for-realsies Fender? it must be a knock-off, but why this guy want as much money as I can get a actual Fender for?" They don't understand the value-icious verisimilitude that we all lurve.

Thank you guys I decided to piece this out and sold the neck in 15 min on Reverb. Next is the body

LoxFL said:
Thank you guys I decided to piece this out and sold the neck in 15 min on Reverb. Next is the body
Pity really, all the work and planning has so little value to the unwashed masses. Only the pieces are seen as worthy of their attention. I say "Screw 'em, that's their loss!" Glad your neck sold so quickly.

Rick said:
The appeal will reappear if you lower the asking price to 1/4 of the cost of the original parts in total.

Not go get overly technical, but is lowering the price not reflective of lowering value?

When you take on a Warmoth build project you assume the risk that if you end up with a guitar you eventually want to sell you will not get back what you paid in money, time and labor.  That said, my Warmoth guitar is worth the cost and my efforts and really beyond what I expected.  The modern neck is so stable I have not had to adjust the relief in a year and a half after the first setting.  The build quality is the finest.  Warmoth is the best way to get a really unique, one-of-a kind custom to your specifications guitar if you can hack the build.  The only downside is if in the end if you want to sell it.

I agree with part-out if you're trying to recoup as much as you can. I have sold several builds over the last 25 years and people will usually only pay about half of your invesment for a "parts guitar" because they don't understand the quality. On the other hand, I recently sold a nice neck that retailed for around $500, I won it for $200, then sold it at auction for $334. I had the whole guitar it was on up with a starting bid of $600 and nobody bid.

I've noticed that Warmoth with crazy looking woods with nice figuring and blue dye, sell well.

If it just looks like a normal white strat, you are lucky to get 25% of what it costs to build it.

Back