Why spend so much money on warmth?

Mx481james

I just posted on benbeard's topic about modifying the heel on his body. Made me think of a new topic , why do we spend so much money on warmoth?
Let's be honest , if you go to sell there's a very limit market that wants them . They sit for sale until you give them away usually. SO WHY ?
I have my reasons and will post if this topic  gets any attraction lol .

Nobody buying Warmoth is doing it to sell (unless they stick their own name on it)

I suppose people have different reasons. I've been a Warmoth guy for 15 years now and have done 4 guitars, a bass, and ordered two additional necks. That makes me a noob compared to others here. :) My main guitars are Andersons, but I like my Warmoths just as much. They allow me to scratch very specific itches that production guitars simply can't, or would be too cost prohibitive for a custom builder to create for me. Our tastes and preferences inevitably evolve over time, and I've been able to evolve my warmoth builds with me for the most part. They are *great* workhorse instruments.

....but yeah, if you're a gear flipper then you should steer clear of these. They're made to be played not collected.

i like picking each component ,  personalization, my next will be all jazzmaster hardware on a tele body.

of course that would have full retail appeal and value.

To get an instrument that meets my specific requirements as a player.  And it's fun to make something.

Why else would you do it?

4097.jpg

'Cause my wife would complain if the house was cold.  :bananaguitar:

Echoing, really I'd say if you came to them with resale value in mind, I have to think you're doing it wrong (tm).

I've bought plenty of things that won't ever sell at a profit, they've mostly also been the things that brought joy to life.

Having exactly what you want usually means it's not what everyone else does.

And all that said, I've shown off my first build in a couple places and have been asked twice now if I'm making instruments for sale.

I wouldn't, because the time I put in to it would result in a labor rate far to low.

My Warmoth plays infinitely better than a factory fender. Also, I've seen plenty of $4000 guitars, mine is on a par to my eye, the only one that matters.

rick2 said:
'Cause my wife would complain if the house was cold.  :bananaguitar:

I knew that one was coming!!  We just got a hot-tub; the wife is very happy with this type of warmth  :)

In Europe the situation is quite complex. South America had a dry spell this year so it imported more LNG from the US. At the same time, China bought tons of LNG and coal to compensate for blackouts earlier this year. Also, last winter was very cold, so our gas storage units are empty. Most importantly though, Russia has stopped delivering gas to put pressure on the EU to certify the new Nord Stream 2 pipeline. That's why warmth has become damn expensive...

Oh.... You meant Warmoth? Because I like it.

So many of the post make me think , yes your so right .
I pulled out my favorite collings and one of my warmoth guitars and played them back to back . Ok let me try another warmoth , absolutely they both are as good as a $4,000. Guitar. In one way a little better because I love the warmoth 10/16 fret board .
I'm putting together a swap ass split jazz master with strat pups Lindy fralin 43's , tune-0-matic bridge , 24 3/4 Bird's eye maple ebony board 10/16 neck , gold hardware on Mary Kay, and of course left handed . That's one I'm just not going to find anywhere else no matter the cost .
One of warmoths best I feel are there necks . I've purchase 10 this year . Interesting because I was pretty much done with bolt on guitars and had sold my fenders . I'm just not as comfortable playing 25 1/2 .
Some how ended up with a new jazz master American professional . Oh I remember I didn't have a guitar with a trem anymore . Added the 24 3/4  10/26  1 11/16 nut  neck and then wanted more lol.
I already had a few warmoth's but the jazz master lit a flame !
I got into a telecaster thing now that I have a neck that I love and started going crazy . Building some of my body's buying some . I even have my warmoth soild rosewood tele I thought was cool but didn't play much . Well add my favorite neck dimensions and that RW is a joy to play now . But playing sitting lol
Yes I agree it's not about what there worth. The joy of making a guitar fit me and the ability to personalize it is priceless and just so dam fun !

Mx481james said:
So many of the post make me think , yes your so right .
I pulled out my favorite collings and one of my warmoth guitars and played them back to back . Ok let me try another warmoth , absolutely they both are as good as a $4,000. Guitar. In one way a little better because I love the warmoth 10/16 fret board .
I'm putting together a swap ass split jazz master with strat pups Lindy fralin 43's , tune-0-matic bridge , 24 3/4 Bird's eye maple ebony board 10/16 neck , gold hardware on Mary Kay, and of course left handed . That's one I'm just not going to find anywhere else no matter the cost .
One of warmoths best I feel are there necks . I've purchase 10 this year . Interesting because I was pretty much done with bolt on guitars and had sold my fenders . I'm just not as comfortable playing 25 1/2 .
Some how ended up with a new jazz master American professional . Oh I remember I didn't have a guitar with a trem anymore . Added the 24 3/4  10/26  1 11/16 nut  neck and then wanted more lol.
I already had a few warmoth's but the jazz master lit a flame !
I got into a telecaster thing now that I have a neck that I love and started going crazy . Building some of my body's buying some . I even have my warmoth soild rosewood tele I thought was cool but didn't play much . Well add my favorite neck dimensions and that RW is a joy to play now . But playing sitting lol
Yes I agree it's not about what there worth. The joy of making a guitar fit me and the ability to personalize it is priceless and just so dam fun !

ditto, except the left hand part

You don't build a Warmoth to get something cheap.

You build a Warmoth to get something unique.

If you're looking for a better return on your money, don't buy something unique.

swarfrat said:

Wow.

A brilliant response that perfectly ties together both the typo in the thread title and the quandary over what to do with all those old Warmoth parts that supposedly no one wants.

Well done. Bravo!

I really never think about resale value when I get a guitar.

As for why I went with Warmoth, there are several reasons.
I wanted some specific specs and I wanted the hands-on experience of designing, finishing wiring and assembling my own guitar. Selecting my own hardware, pickups and wiring options.

I mean I could have gotten a Fender and then went to work customizing it--but then I would have ended up with a "non stock" Fender and would have likely spend as much if not more than what I spent on a Warmoth build.

I find it funny that now any old guitar that is beat to hell is fine, but if the pots were replaced it is no longer "stock".
The whole guitar resell market is fairly cuckoo.

do you think of resale value when you buy a tv,  computer,  stereo,  car?  have you ever turned a profit?

teleme01 said:
do you think of resale value when you buy a tv,  computer,  stereo,  car?  have you ever turned a profit?

LOL at Computer.

Can you think of anything else that you spend $1K+ for that becomes all but worthless in about four years?

I often get a kick out of when people talk about how expensive guitars are.
Sure, you could spend $10K plus on a jazz box or D41, but the money you need to spend to get a really nice electric guitar is NOTHING compared to a brass instrument, etc.
Guitars are cheap. And today's cheap guitars are AMAZING compared to the crap available 30 years ago. Even when NOT taking inflation into account.

My one Warmoth build came out to $1200 Canadian, all said and done. A very simple build, yet similarly spec'd guitars from FMIC cost quite a bit more, and this one was exactly how I wanted it.

The more custom options are more expensive because they're more custom, you're buying them because they're not something you can just pick off the rack at Guitar Center.

The Arron , not saying anything about buying something cheap . The fact that are warmoths aren't worth the money they cost in $ value . Everything has a value some things diminish rapidly, some increase in value in the same way. I've never lost a penny on a Gibson . Actually had many go up in value . Actually I did well when I sold off most of my Fender's .
I like uniqueness , that's the value right there . I've had many players say why would you want a parts caster ?
One I'm left handed and have limited choices. But now I will say ( I wanted uniqueness ) 👍

Back