Soloist vs Strat, why are soloists so light?

If you can live with a hardtail top loading bridge (or feel comfortable routing a trem) you could always have them leave off the bridge route from a 7/8.

If the weight is most important, how about a 2.2lb Velocity?

CTV181a.jpg

And put some Alumitone pickups in it and you'll save a lot of weight. About 70%!

Alumitone_HB_CHRM.png

And some Stealth Keys tuners from Gotoh.

st31-sb2-ck-1.jpg

Don't forget that the tuners are a big part of weight especially at the end of the neck. Come to think of it, a body that is too light will probably have neck dive issues ...

WindsurfMaui said:
Hello Stratmania:

So your saying it is where Warmoth drills the bridge on the 7/8 strat and not the fact that they shave off part of the heel pocket that determines whether it will take the 24 fret 25 1/2 inch scale neck. Good to know.

No, that's not really what he's saying. They don't shave off part of the neck pocket - that's the same size as a regular Strat. And... the 7/8 models do not take the 24 fret 25 1/2" scale neck, they take the 24 fret 24 3/4" scale necks that are specifically made for them.

It is, as Stratmania said, the bridge position relative to the neck pocket that determines which neck type you can use; Warmoth's bodies that are stated to be for 25 1/2" scale* can be used with 25 1/2" necks with 21 frets ('vintage' Fender spec), 22 frets (modern style with a small fretboard overhang) and 24 frets (large fretboard overhang). They can also be used with Warmoth's conversion necks - 24 3/4" scale with 22 frets and 28 5/8" baritone with 24. Mustangs, Jaguars and the 7/8 models have a shorter bridge to neck pocket measurement and - although the neck pocket is the same as the others - will only intonate correctly if used with 24" scale Mustang/Jaguar 22 fret necks (no overhang), or 7/8 series 24 3/4" scale 24 fret necks (small overhang).

Personally I think you're on the wrong track thinking about modifying a Soloist to look more like a Strat. If you try to make the horns less pointy, you'll end up with stubby, wide-apart horns - might be a good idea if you want it to look like an Epiphone Coronet.

1966_Epiphone_Coronet_553664.thumb.jpg.5ee0050d7cea59b8db6ecfe2318d2720.jpg

Does this help?:

deep_soloist1.jpg

From what you say, it seems to me that the obvious choice is a 7/8 Strat. They're only a little smaller than a regular Strat but are the same basic shape, lighter (and are available chambered too, unlike the Soloist) and have excellent upper fret access.

7-8thSStyleLineDrawing.jpg

78thStratComparison.jpg

What's not to like?

*Let's not confuse things by worrying about Telecaster neck pockets

You can order a 7/8 body blank routed to what you want bridge and pickups then just cut and shape the guitar you want.

Does anyone know will Warmoth do the 24 fret neck routing adjustment for an In Stock body that hasn't had the pick ups or bridge routed yet?

WindsurfMaui said:
Does anyone know will Warmoth do the 24 fret neck routing adjustment for an In Stock body that hasn't had the pick ups or bridge routed yet?

The neck pocket is the same, a 24 fret neck simply has a longer overhang on the fret board. They only move the neck pickup back about 3/4”

Yes but some things Warmoth won't do to In stock body only custom builds.  So I didn't know if this is one of those items.

WindsurfMaui said:
Yes but some things Warmoth won't do to In stock body only custom builds.  So I didn't know if this is one of those items.

I am pretty sure they will rout a 24 fret neck pickup on a in stock body may have to call them to order it. It’s amazing what they will do if you call them.

What I meant is what Fat Pete, described further for you. (Thanks Fat Pete)

My recommendation WinddurfMaui is for your first build keep it simple. Don't over complicate it.

Back