Which way does Warmoth cut the radius

Logrinn said:
I will agree with Pete and was about to say something similar, but not based on drawings, but based on a set of radius gauge I recently got:

15469335_800.webp

Out of curiosity I checked one of my Warmoth necks and it does indeed have a radius of 10" at the first fret and 16" at the last fret. But when I took the 16" gauge and held it at the first fret and the 10" gauge at the last fret (just for fun and curiosity), the difference is so small that I was actually surprised how little difference there is between 10" and 16" in radius.
So to answer you question I was about to say that your drawing was very exaggerated and the reality is not a difference of 1mm as you guessed but perhaps 0.1mm or less (which Pete also have shown).
And like Stratamania said, you will probaly not notice this IRL.
I would imagine that rolling the fretboard edges will make a much greater difference in feel of the shoulders.

If get the time, could you measure at what fret the neck turns into a 12" radius and 14" radius? I airways imagined it would be the 7th and 12tj fret respectively, but I've never seen anyone measure/report this.

I’m away from home at the moment, but when I get back I’ll try and do some measurements.

I did some tests and I would say that you are pretty right in your assumptions.
Perhaps 12" at the 8th fret and 14" at the 11th fret (see image).
But the difference is so small when checking from fret to fret that there's almost no room for a single strand of hair between the fretboard and the gauge ... so I could be wrong.

5ad.jpg_m.jpg

Thanks Logrinn!

And no joke about the small differences. Before your reply I thought I'd try to measure it myself with some DIY print-and-cut paper gauges. There's no way you can cut accurately enough, and with the floppy paper... it was near impossible to tell.

It really is incredible how much the human hand can feel, versus the minute dimensional differences.

Back