When do errors and mistakes stop being acceptable in a custombuild?

Smoinkly Bam-Orbfritz said:
I'm always amazed by the advertising claims of action that's "1/32 of an inch high with absolutely no buzzing!" etc., so forth & so on. I've picked up Carvins & Pauls that the owner swore to me "no buzz" - yeah, until you hit the frigging strings...

Hehe! Yeah, no kidding.

I've always started from the premise that if it doesn't sound clean acoustically, there's something wrong.

But, there are guys who run serial distortion/overdrive/booster pedals into hyper-squeezed compressors into hi-gain tube amps, and of course they don't hear any string buzz. There's no way they could. If you're starting with rock crusher/chainsaw noise then nuance, subtlety, character, and dynamic range aren't ever any part of the conversation.

Orpheo said:
Indeed. I'm trying to get the Low E playable. it is still buzzing, the rest of the strings are very fine and playable. but how can I get one string to stop buzzing?

Sounds like you have a Tune-O-Matic bridge, and/or a fret problem. TOM bridges aren't very adjustable, and new frets may need a loving touch with a file here and there. Take it to a decent tech, or buy a fret rocker and some files, and teach that thing a lesson.

I did the 'fretrocker' thing, and the frets seem to be nice and level. and yeah, its a tune o matic. the nut is not too low, it passes over the first fret nicely. making the action on the low side higher doesn't make a difference whatsoever.

Does holding the string above the nut make it stop?
Is it only on the *open* E, or on all notes of that string, if not all, where does it stop?

Loose hardware?

Got an other TOM you could drop on there just to test?

Orpheo said:
I did the 'fretrocker' thing, and the frets seem to be nice and level. and yeah, its a tune o matic. the nut is not too low, it passes over the first fret nicely. making the action on the low side higher doesn't make a difference whatsoever.

If the frets are level, and you have the appropriate relief in the neck (which I'm going to assume you do if it's only one string misbehaving), and the bridge is at the right height (which I'll assume it is for the same reason), that only leaves the dreaded nut slot or bridge saddle. Does it buzz all the time, or only on open strings? If it's only on open strings, it's the nut. If it's anywhere on the neck, it's the bridge saddle. It won't be obvious by looking at it. But, by process of elimination, that's all that's left, unless it's haunted.

Of course, knowing the thing's history, haunting doesn't sound too outrageous... <grin>

its really a lack of proper relief. If I bend the neck, the buzzing stops. The necks are just too thick for the trussrod, or there's not enough tension/power in the trussrod to relief the neck. Hm perhaps I'll twist the trussrod the other side. perhaps that will help. I really think thats the issue. The necks are NINE piece laminates, so they're very, very stiff.

I thought truss rods only pulled back, to straighten, as in removing excessive relief.
I'd loosened it all the way, and then let it settle for a week with strings on it and see what happens.

can I get a hallelujah?!?!?!?!?! Both are playable, with acceptable levels of fret buzzing. They require me to adjust my playing. I have to play less rude and more delicate. like steve morse ;)  :headbang1: theyy sound, acoustically, very loud, clear, ringing. like a churchbell. I'll be wiring them up today, and I hope they will sound great with the amp too.

Orpheo said:
can I get a hallelujah?!?!?!?!?! Both are playable, with acceptable levels of fret buzzing. They require me to adjust my playing. I have to play less rude and more delicate. like steve morse ;)  :headbang1: theyy sound, acoustically, very loud, clear, ringing. like a churchbell. I'll be wiring them up today, and I hope they will sound great with the amp too.

:icon_thumright: Here's one from me : HALLELUJAH!
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D09DCZryG2U[/youtube]

IMAG0507.jpg

IMAG0505.jpg

IMAG0504.jpg

IMAG0500.jpg

IMAG0499.jpg

IMAG0497.jpg

IMAG0510.jpg

IMAG0493.jpg

IMAG0494.jpg

IMAG0496.jpg

some mistakes.

the tunerwashers had to be recessed cause the headstocks are so thick. I ordered thick headstocks, agreed, but it was easier if he drilled it out with a 16mm drill first, just to have them recessed, and then with a 10.5mm drill all the way through. now I had to do that by HAND. hence, the recesses aren't all the same depth and size.

the tuners. I HATE SPERZELS! more precise: to install them. Darned. I hate that pin. Thats why I prefer gotoh. since I had the  top one on an angle on the right side, I had to do it on the left side too.

Ok, the pickups. finally, they're as straight as I can get them without using a CNC.

the backplates. they're screwed on metal posts, but I'll be using wood posts later on, with little magnets attached to them, and llittle iron bits in the plates, just to make it look even more slick. I'll cover up the  screw holes in the plates with a little piece of abalone. I like abalone!!!

The playability. As I said before, those necks are HEAVY. they're thicker and wider than warmoth's fatback and 1 3/4 nut. I can only imagine it as having a petrified woolly mammoth's cock as a guitar. its that thick ;)

but I like it! :D the action on the high E side is low, on the low E side its higher. nice.

The pickups. well. I wired them incorrectly at first. They were out of fase on their own, and together in fase ;) I used the duncan color code, just like the first set of wizzard pickups I use. apparantly I was supposed to use the dimarzio colorcode. oh, well. no hassle.

I use paper and oil Sovjet military grade caps (the writing is indeed russian :D ) and those things are HUGE!!!!!!!! bigger than those bumblebee caps. but they sound sweet and great. pots are CTS, toggle and output is switchcraft. I only used braided wire to wire them up, but unfortunately, the wrapping of the core wasn't cotton, as I thought it would be, but plastic, meaning you can't heat them up, at all because the plastic will melt and doing so, creating a short.

as far as I can see now, the only word that can be used to describe the tone is 'churchbell'. its that ringy and chimey and full! and heavy! :D

Jeasus H Christ those things are AMAZING!

I didn't read all your text above (running to a meeting), but I have to say those things are very very very nice.

Those are one spectacular pair of guitars, especially the wenge-topped one.

And that's kind of the tragedy of the whole story I suppose :-\

Man those look awesome! The only thing I'm not really huge about is cavity cover. I think they look great, but it kind of looks like they don't fit very well.

In fact,the.plates are cut from the bodies,and have a nice fit. These are such heavy instruments, topping the 5kg Mark easily. More like 6kg...

V.cool  :headbang1:
Glad to see them finished after all the pain ... they really are beautiful.

Orpheo said:
... I can only imagine it as having a petrified woolly mammoth's cock as a guitar. its that thick ;)

:eek: ... that IS thick!!

Back