Whats the meaning of your Avatar/ handle?

I always got a kick out of word play.  Mine is a nonsensical word "ghoti", which some have twisted to be pronounced "fish".  (gh as in enough, o as in women, ti as in nation).  I added phry to get "fish fry"

The avatar is me, done in the stencil style I saw by The Beatles, as below:

MHv0iBh.jpg

I had Doug make it into neck plates, in black and chrome.
(No comparison between myself and The Beatles musical abilities, I just thought it was cool.  And The Beatles continue to be one of my favorite bands.)

rgand said:
Mine is easy. First name initial + first 4 letters of my last name.
I forgot to mention that the avatar photo is of my 'Nashville Strat'. It has the first Warmoth neck I bought so that also makes it my first Warmoth build of any kind.

When I was a teenager, I realised my natural expression. Needed a username for online stuff as I was newly online, so that was a nice simple name to use.

The avatar came about as I'm a web designer / developer that loves icon design, so I whipped up one for the relevant accounts - only this year bizarrely, despite using the name for over 20 years!

My avatar is a Gibson Moderne. It's a dividing subject but I love the way the Moderne looks; it's like an art deco spaceship.

Drop the "E" and you're left with "The Modern Dance". This is a word-for-word reference to an album and a song by Cleveland art punk group Pere Ubu. They're one of my all-time favorite bands, up there with Captain Beefheart and Devo.

So yeah, enigmatic art deco guitar and weirdo Cleveland rock.

[youtube]T1CJuremNCs[/youtube]

Bagman comes from my last name, Bagger.  My birth year is 1967.  The current avatar is Bobby Darin, who my best friend's dad said I looked like back in 1977 or so, and until my hair started falling out, I guess I did look like the younger Bobby.  Then again, he was also losing his hair when he left us so prematurely.

Wizard of Wailing is a nickname a good friend and bass player gave me a long time ago, and he still calls me that.  However, my daughter still doesn't believe me that someone actually calls me that.
    My current avatar is a picture of me circa 1989 with my first guitar.  It had no name but looked just like those 3/4 size Cort guitars ( if you remember those).  So I guess it was the generic version of an already bottom of the barrel guitar brand.  My parents wanted to make sure I was willing to practice and get decent before they got me a good guitar.  I got an American Tele in 1991.
    My last avatar (before they all got erased) was an Iowa Hawkeyes logo.  I'm a fan and an alumnus.  To this day I'm still angry about the 1986 Rose Bowl.

Screen name came about in a roundabout sort of way.  When I first started joining forums in the late 90s while I was in college I went by Pelagius (taken from this guy).  Over the years, mostly due to it being taken when I went to make a character in various online games, it morphed into Pelagaard.

The avatar is from when I was at Gullfoss back in April.

I had been just hanging out here anonymously for months, racking my brain for a handle that didn't suck. I chose "anorak" because I am a huge fan of a Scott singer/songwriter and under-rated guitarist named Roddy Frame. Back in the 80s and 90s, his music was produced under the name of Aztec Camera. We fans call ourselves "anoraks" (like Deadheads for fans of the G'ful D.) which I'm lead to believe are pullover sweaters. Go figure. Dan because that's my first name.

Since I'm half-Norwegian and nearly pale enough to be blue, I thought the quote from Michael Palin's "Dead Parrot" sketch fit and a nice shot of Michael so you can hear the line in your mind when you look at my avatar.

And that, my friends, is that.

Aztec Camera?  I thought nobody liked Aztec Camera except for me!  Jeez, that takes me back.  Knife has to be my favorite record, but Working in a Goldmine is my favorite single.  Roddy Frame released an album just a couple years ago!  Seven Dials is really a great record.

Didn't Aztec Camera, do that song, Somewhere in My Heart ? 

I remember learning it for a covers band in the eighties.

The handle comes from the time when I was somewhat involved in alternative user interfaces for Windows, something that went heavily out of style with Windows 7. ByteFrenzy because I always imagine those bits and bytes frantically racing around the insides of our computers to do our bidding. The avatar is just a peek under the pickup cover of my 51 PBass showing off the SD Antiquity.

I'm afraid there wasn't too much thought that went into mine. At the time I was working on ideas for a vintage white strat build and had a few pickguards lying around. I only have an older, small digital camera so my attemtps at full length shots of any actual guitar have not turned out very well yet. I just like the color scheme of my avatar so it got the job. As to my user name, I was annoyed with Seattle and came up with it as very tongue in cheek, something some local hipster might come up with. Thankfully I don't live in Portland anymore, who knows what that would have garnered. In reality I am pretty highly strung so the last thing I am thinking about is how peaceful music can be.  :laughing7:

musicispeace said:
I'm afraid there wasn't too much thought that went into mine. At the time I was working on ideas for a vintage white strat build and had a few pickguards lying around. I only have an older, small digital camera so my attemtps at full length shots of any actual guitar have not turned out very well yet. I just like the color scheme of my avatar so it got the job. As to my user name, I was annoyed with Seattle and came up with it as very tongue in cheek, something some local hipster might come up with. Thankfully I don't live in Portland anymore, who knows what that would have garnered. In reality I am pretty highly strung so the last thing I am thinking about is how peaceful music can be.  :laughing7:

Your "musicispeace" handle caused me to think of you as a hippie-surfer type who is really into John McLaughlin, Carlos Santana, and Maharishi Mahesh Yogi!

Zebra said:
musicispeace said:

Your "musicispeace" handle caused me to think of you as a hippie-surfer type who is really into John McLaughlin, Carlos Santana, and Maharishi Mahesh Yogi!

That is awesome! In reality though how about tea drinking (gave up the booze), slightly grumpy, expensive jeans, blues playing, and a slightly highly strung mostly Irish guy who listens to Billy Gibbons, Lightnin Hopkins, Johnny Hiland, and SRV. No tye dye, bicycle,yoga, plaid shirt or beard.

I have been "Wild Bill" since way back in the days when I was WILD. Calmer now but old friends still call me that. The Bill the Cat avatar is something I use a lot, Bill the Cat rocks and he's a mess, Wild Bill used to be like that. The numbers as I'm sure you guessed are my zip, SoCal.

stratamania said:
Didn't Aztec Camera, do that song, Somewhere in My Heart ? 

I remember learning it for a covers band in the eighties.

Yes indeed! Biggest hit for Roddy.

Back