The POWER of Wenge...

bbl4ck

WARNING: Do Not Try This At Home

So, last night I finish a nice loving session with Valentina.  I proceed to put her back in her stand.
I have 5 stands that are in the corner of the room.  To get the geetars in the back placed, you have to raise them up and over the geetars in front.
As I am raising her up over the others, I suddenly hear and feel this whap, whap, whap, whap...
It is one of those ohhhhhh s*#@ moments.  I have stuck Valentina's headstock right into the ceiling fan!
At first, I did not have the heart to look.  When I did, I was most pleasantly shocked.
A little naptha to clean off the paint from the fan blades.  It took off the sharp edge, but other than that she is almost unscaved.

Damn, that Wenge is some tuff stuff...

ValentinaHeadstock03.jpg

ValentineHeadstock02.jpg

looks great! seems like exotic wood is some seriously tough stuff. i once knocked the old purpleheart neck i sold on the dresser next to my amp when i was playing one day. not insanely hard, but i was still too worried to look. not a single scratch and it was still in tune! but that purpleheart neck was probably the hardest wood i've ever had a neck made out of. not as dense as maple though. almost like a neck made out of more porous ebony.

Awesome story, love it love it love it. I'd tell it around the campfire no lie  :guitaristgif:

Hey Jay, now that the neck is sold the stories can come out. Hahahaha I love it. :eek:ccasion14:

pabloman said:
Hey Jay, now that the neck is sold the stories can come out. Hahahaha I love it. :eek:ccasion14:

haha yeah man! no damage to the neck :icon_biggrin: thank god! my dresser might have had a dent in it though

NonsenseTele said:
hahahahahaha very nice! And the fan?

The fan survived as well.  Can't really tell anything happened to it either. 
However, if one had to die, I would pray for Valentina every time.
Ceiling fans are replaceable...
:rock-on:

I've done that to my fingers, stretching. Fan was out of the way when there was a table under it, since you never walked there. But, painting that room one day while the furniture was out of the way... Wap! Wap! Wap! DAMMIT! <grin>

But, yeah. Wenge is an extremely hard wood from what I've read, so I imagine if the fan blades weren't steel, there probably wouldn't be much they could to to it.

rapfohl09 said:
Next its going to be able to reflect gun fire!
Lets get some test wood unless he wanted new tuners holes, though if it survived that make sure your necks in place of the valuables of your person while playing, better bodyguard  :laughing7:

Wow, glad Valentina is ok...Good to now it can handle a ceiling fan. Almost put Krank n Stein's headstock into a ceiling fan, luckily I realized at the last moment I had raised it to high and got it out of the way.... :doh:

The ceiling in my old room at my parents' house has a bunch of dents in it from my first pointy-headstocked Jackson (to be fair, my room was small and had a low ceiling, so I'm not a complete idiot). No dents or chips in the maple, just a few smudges of white latex semigloss on the headstock.  :laughing7:

After doing a lot of wood working in the past I can say that more often than not, wenge will beat out most of the things around it heh. Surprisingly resilient wood!

I'd hate to find that out on a finished instrument though, wooie!

Back