What should I do now? Long overdue Jazzmaster project.

I don't think you'll have a problem with that larger pot, as long as it's not hitting the pup, just remove enough wood to squeeze it in.

I think you have a good project going, but I would not worry about all the little switches and mounting the pot sideways, etc. Just mount some push/pull pots or mini toggles and  electronics in a normal way and have fun playing it. I always thought the rotary knobs and all those little slide switches were just too much for a guitar.

Get a new 2 HB pickgaurd and start over. Get that battery box off the pick guard, looks terrible there and will detract from what could be an awesome looking guitar.

Get somebody to open up the route for the dual battery box.

Or with all the room in that body cavity, just put the batteries in there wrapped in foam.

I think this is a GREAT project, dont' scrap nothing!

+10 million to moving the battery box! There is so much more room that can be freed up for the tone circuit...they come on little boards right?
A new solid pickguard would look better. You can still keep your desired control layout (too complex for its own good  :icon_tongue:) if you can take that dremel and remove some wood from under the pickguard...maybe get a freind...If you were in S.A. TX I'd help, I'm pretty handy with that thing. In short, there's enough wood left to remove just what you need to make room for your controls.

IDEA!...take that Dremel and route out the middle pup slot to be deeper and stick the batteries in there?

I don't know if you've gotten the SPX and EXG yet? But the circuit boards are attached to the bottom of the pots they come with. Just wanted to make sure you knew that.  :icon_thumright:

+1 on new pickguard with battery box in the rear of the box

and you could adjust the body (behind the pickguard) to the pots, if they don't fit at all this route...
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Potentiometers/Push-pull_Pots.html
It's the thinner one:
3738_1lg.jpg

Are you 100% sold on the EMGs??  I have them and love them too.  Personally, I have found the DiMarzio Breed just as good and cleans up nicer too.  Of course you lose some of the silence of active PUs, but the Breeds have very little background noise too.

You should be able to sinc the pots you need as nononsensetele states.

NonsenseTele said:
dmraco said:
This story of  "NO nonsense" has nothing to do with me, I'm 100% NONSENSE :p :laughing7:

type...nosense at all! HA :laughing3:

MUYFUE said:
I think this is a GREAT project, dont' scrap nothing!

+10 million to moving the battery box! There is so much more room that can be freed up for the tone circuit...they come on little boards right?
A new solid pickguard would look better. You can still keep your desired control layout (too complex for its own good  :icon_tongue:) if you can take that dremel and remove some wood from under the pickguard...maybe get a freind...If you were in S.A. TX I'd help, I'm pretty handy with that thing. In short, there's enough wood left to remove just what you need to make room for your controls.

IDEA!...take that Dremel and route out the middle pup slot to be deeper and stick the batteries in there?

So so close to what I originally had in mind when I ordered the body Muyfue! I had thoughts of shoving the batteries in that middle cavity with the wires running down the centre of the cavity. But alas, the batteries are just a fraction too big to install side on and yes, I'd have to attack the cavity with the Dremel to make slots for them.

One of the things I have wanted to do with this project is challenge my own skills (tick - done that!) and engineer better ways of installing things and make the instrument look as close as I can to the original guitar in layout design and application.

However,.....
Death by Uberschall said:
Get somebody to open up the route for the dual battery box.

Or with all the room in that body cavity, just put the batteries in there wrapped in foam.

This is now pretty much on the money to what I think can be achieved.

There is a decent sized gap between the toggle switch, located on the lower bout of the body, and the main larger controls and output jack. I *can* fit two 9v batteries in there, and as these batteries don't go dead all that often, it won't be too much of an inconvenience having them there - save for the 14 screws to be undone each time I want to lift the pickguard! (Oh, I do miss the simplicity of the old Tele 8 screw pickguard, lol!)

Failing installing the batteries there, I have found a pretty good repairer ( a father and son team who build guitars - Upfold Guitars) who would be able to rout the double battery box on the back of the guitar.

But I must admit to being more than a little ashamed of the way this project has spanned out - and with all the stop / starts this project has incurred. If it hasn't been illness or major family issues, or too damn busy with the commute to Sydney or just plain 'no money', I think this project would be over and done. I guess I have a developed a bit of a paranoia about the whole thing and get quite uptight looking at all the money I have spent on this - and the ancillary equipment/tools to get it to this stage - and it is still unfinished. That's why I have turned to other people to get the advice... I really can't trust my judgement on this thing anymore.

I will give the larger 25K pots a go and see if I can get them into the cavity. It makes sense to try and get these to fit as I then won't have to resort to using Linear pots and parallel wiring in resistors.

I also will try and fashion a bracket for the JM because I do not want to waste more time and money spending USD$10 (PLUS postage) on a bracket that is essentially a 90 degree piece of aluminium with 4 holes in it. I have an almost identical strip of aluminium now, and just need to cut it to shape and drill the 3/8" holes for the pots and the smaller ones for the screws. BTW, Warmoth now sells them too. (When I started this project, they sold none of this roller bracket and knob assembly stuff, I remember trawling the net on a 56K connection when I was renting in Sydney trying to find the brackets and roller knobs!)

dmraco said:
Are you 100% sold on the EMGs??  I have them and love them too.  Personally, I have found the DiMarzio Breed just as good and cleans up nicer too.  Of course you lose some of the silence of active PUs, but the Breeds have very little background noise too.

I am more sold on these EMGs because I go them for an absolute bargain because the then Distributor for them in Australia, accidentally sold them to me for the Wholesale Price! I got the 1x EMG89, 1 x EMG89R, 1 x SPC, 1 x EXG, for about the price you would have got for just the two pickups. I bought them before the last Christmas I was living in Sydney, the Distributor must have thought I was a retailer and made the mistake on not only quoting me the wholesale price but actually invoiced me for that price too. It was only when he went to send the gear out, that he realised his mistake. He sent me a lovely note wishing me well for Christmas, and stuck to his price. No longer their Distributor though.

But I have been a fan of EMGs going back to the days of Iva Davies using them in his Strat when doing live work for Icehouse. I think he was one of the first to have them in Australia. I know Iva is very picky with his sounds and if he went for EMGs then they are certainly noise less as much as you can make them. Also like the principle of having the pre amp inside the pickup. So I have always wanted to have a guitar with this sort of set up.

AND FINALLY  :doh:, Thank you so much for all the advice, it has been much appreciated. I will now get busy and see what can be achieved with this JazzMonster!

dmraco said:
NonsenseTele said:
dmraco said:
This story of  "NO nonsense" has nothing to do with me, I'm 100% NONSENSE :p :laughing7:

type...nonsense at all! HA :laughing3:

:D

Cheers Pete, I hope you finish this guitar! I've the same problem, some projects stopped here for ages... mine are different reasons, but I should finish them too!

OK practiced using the Dremel and it's a treat to rout with, if you take it at a slower speed and slowly grind away at the slot rather than trying to do it all at once in 10seconds.

Got up the courage to work on the pickguard and did a very decent job of routing the second slot in. Both switches fit nicely alongside each other.

Also cut a strip of aluminium into the desired shape for a bracket for the JM roller pots.

NonsenseTele, you will be pleased to know that the 25K pot (just a std. 25K pot not one with a switch) does hang there OK, but I am having to call it quits early and see if it will all fit in the cavity tomorrow. I have sliced one of my fingers while peeling an orange and can't hold things too well due to the bandage (also aches like a bitch). :sad: But things are looking up, particularly with my boost in confidence using the Dremel. At least I didn't injure myself working on this project this time! :tard:

OzziePete said:
OK practiced using the Dremel and it's a treat to rout with, if you take it at a slower speed and slowly grind away at the slot rather than trying to do it all at once in 10seconds.

Got up the courage to work on the pickguard and did a very decent job of routing the second slot in. Both switches fit nicely alongside each other.

Also cut a strip of aluminium into the desired shape for a bracket for the JM roller pots.

NonsenseTele, you will be pleased to know that the 25K pot (just a std. 25K pot not one with a switch) does hang there OK, but I am having to call it quits early and see if it will all fit in the cavity tomorrow. I have sliced one of my fingers while peeling an orange and can't hold things too well due to the bandage (also aches like a bitch). :sad: But things are looking up, particularly with my boost in confidence using the Dremel. At least I didn't injure myself working on this project this time! :tard:

Good to hear about the dremel, what sort of speed on the pickguard?, i am buying one Saturday week and i want to start doing more to the bodies myself.

Nasty about the finger.

TonyW said:
Good to hear about the dremel, what sort of speed on the pickguard?, i am buying one Saturday week and i want to start doing more to the bodies myself.

Nasty about the finger.
Thankfully, Tony, I was only using a table knife and not a very sharp penknife that I have, or a steak knife, yikes. Finger stopped throbbing for now.

I have a Dremel Pro that has notched speed increments you switch to on the main body of the tool. I used the slowest speed (the first selection).

But..... I was using a tiny Dremel 1/8" routing bit which looked fragile so I wasn't keen to push it at speed. I was also only routing through pickguard material not wood. My thoughts were to start slow, shave shallow sections off and if there was resistance against the bit, up the speed til the bit could do it's work without any resistance. I didn't need to get out of first gear though!

BTW, if you have Bunnings stores down in Victoria, they usually have a decent range of Dremel stuff, worth checking out. :icon_thumright:

Obviously if you are routing into wood or using a heavier bit then more speed would be needed. I recommend practicing using the Dremel and how you intend to do whatever job you have in mind. Things like securing the job and template affixing have to be spot on.

I would also suggest getting a Stew Mac Precision Base if you can afford it. They are more solid than what Dremel offer.

Check out this link and look at the video from Dan Erlewine. I basically did the same as him with the tiny routing bit and made the slot very easily, by using a Jaguar control plate as the template for the switch.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for:_Binding/Precision_Router_Bases/Precision_Router_Base.html

Hey Pete

thanks for all the info mate  :icon_thumright:

Yeah Bunnings is where i am buying the dremel they have a wide range in the one just up the road from me.

cheers
Tony

Glad to hear you've decided to save the guitar!
The dremel is SO valuable and versatile. you'll find 1000 uses for it and it sounds like you're off to a good start.
Also, Yay for keeping the EMGs!

So far so good and confidence has improved Muyfue. :cool01:

I am starting to think about dragging out a long stored New years Eve prize I won - a plunge router no less.

That thing looks a monster compared to the Dremel and I am thinking of that double battery box. Would be tasty if I could relocate the batteries at the rear of the body, behind the tremelo (about 1" away from it so the body still has strength & mass in that area). I DO have the template, mmmmmm? But I am wondering about the depth I have to rout for that battery box. Would be a total disaster if I got this far and ended up routing through to the top.  :eek:

Mind you, being a plunge router I am sure I can carefully measure the depth and set it on the bit so it won't go to close to the top of the guitar body. We'll see............. :icon_scratch: (I can locate the batteries under the pickguard as previously described, so I am in two minds about it. But I may be tempted if I practice the plunge router and it turns out as easy to use as the Dremel seems to be, if you are careful.)

Yeah if you take "The Plunge" like you said, you can get cleaner results than with the dremel. It's fast and clean and MUCH more powerful.
For the purpose of routing a battery box, the plunge router is the way to go. For the finer work in the control cavity, the Dremel is easier to manuver, and it can eat smaller lines.

Yeah it would SUCK to go right through the front! Nothing wrong at all with getting some scraps from Home Depot or something to practice on.
Use those same scraps to practice drilling a hole for the wire that will connect to the battery termial and the circuitry inside the control cavity.

This may be "duh" to you, but...
When using the Dremel it's ok to hold the body by hand...probably... :tard:

But when using the router and drill, CLAMPITT! 

MUYFUE said:
Yeah if you take "The Plunge" like you said, you can get cleaner results than with the dremel. It's fast and clean and MUCH more powerful.
For the purpose of routing a battery box, the plunge router is the way to go. For the finer work in the control cavity, the Dremel is easier to manuver, and it can eat smaller lines.

Yeah it would SUCK to go right through the front! Nothing wrong at all with getting some scraps from Home Depot or something to practice on.
Use those same scraps to practice drilling a hole for the wire that will connect to the battery termial and the circuitry inside the control cavity.

This may be "duh" to you, but...
When using the Dremel it's ok to hold the body by hand...probably... :tard:

But when using the router and drill, CLAMPITT! 

If I was to buy scrap wood from Home Depot, do you think they'd deliver to Australia? Maybe I should go to Bunnings instead (Home Depot equivalent in Australia. :icon_biggrin: ). But yes, definitely need a bit of practice before attacking a guitar body. If I have troubles controlling the plunge router I can always revert to plan B (before I hack up the body, of course) and install the batteries under the pickguard. Nice to finally have options.

I seem to find ways of cutting myself quite frequently, unintentionally of course. :tard: So I won't be holding anything in one hand, and wielding a high speed, spinning Dremel in the other. I already have a decent medical insurance premium each fortnight to pay and do not wish to drive it up any further if I can help it! Clamp it and stand clear, I reckon. :laughing7:

You should make a jig from plywood, then route the body with a bit that has "ball bearing" limitor... If you screw up the plywood, it's inexpensive and you can make other :D

NonsenseTele said:
You should make a jig from plywood, then route the body with a bit that has "ball bearing" limitor... If you screw up the plywood, it's inexpensive and you can make other :D

I have a ball bearing collar bit from Stew Mac waiting to go on that plunge router. One of the many items I have bought over the years trying to prep for this project. I have two of these buts, bought separately, so not sure of their sizings. Got them from Stew- Mac. link > http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Routing_bits/Ball_Bearing_Router_Bits.html

When you say jig,  do you mean a larger plywood bracket that would hold the template in place? I already have the double battery plexiglas template. Do you have any photos of how one of those jigs is rigged up?

Back