What should I do now? Long overdue Jazzmaster project.

O

OzziePete

OK time for me to ask the experts. :sad:

I am too close to the project to be able to stand back and make a rational decision on the situation I find myself in. :icon_scratch:

I have had a Jazzmaster project on the cards for years. Literally. And I am getting sick of trying to engineer solutions in fitting non-native electronics into the Jazzmaster body design.

Firstly the idea behind the project.
The Jazzmaster was designed, initially by Leo, to be the premier smooth clean Fender guitar, good enough for Jazz. He poured a lot of his knowledge about passive electronics at that time, into the Jazzmaster. He also engineered a more cost efficient tremelo design and thought he had solved the tuning stability issues that were being made known about the early Strats.

Instead, of course, the new trem proved a bitch to work with, the pickups' sound didn't lend itself to Jazz at all, and the offset body put even more people off the idea. There was also some learning required to get used to the switching system, and alternate roller knobs.

My idea was to take what Leo had intended, and, using modern electronics, transform the Jazzmaster body into something that had the versatility that Fender had worked towards, but did not, imho, actually achieve (Jazzmasters really do have their own voice and not what you would call, too versatile). To me, that meant going for active EMG pickups and some tone circuitry. My own personal choice for neck scale is also 24.75", so a conversion neck was also in the mix.

I also thought it funny to present the project as a usual looking Jazzmaster, complete with Fiesta Red solid colour, but knock everyone's socks off with blistering tone from the EMG system. My idea of shoving a V8 into a Mini I guess.

Specs:
Jazzmaster body - maple
Routing : usual Jazzmaster routing except for 3 x Humbucker routs.
Trem: Wilkinson trem

Neck:
Maple with Ebony Fretboard, block inlays, fiesta red solid colour peghead. 6105 frets, locking tuners.24.75 conversion scale, small Fender peghead. Graphtech nut.

Electronics:
2x EMG 89 (one reversed for neck use)
1x EMG SPC circuit
1x EMG EXG circuit.
18v double battery ( 2x 9v wired in series)

Straight away I had problems as I had forgot to get a double battery rout done and the batteries were not going to fit in the middle pickup cavity.

Then, as I had to find ways of incorporating a single coil/humbucker switch for each EMG 89, i had extra switches AND two tone circuits to put into the standard Jazzmaster configuration.

With the maple body, this guitar NEEDS the tone circuits, as it is very sterile other wise. I did do a pickup install by themselves and found that out the hard way.

I still have tried, when money and time has allowed, to try and look at ways at making this all fit.

I also have problems in finding a way to fit all the necessary knobs and/or switches into that Jazzmaster design. For starters, there are only two mini pots around that will fit that roller knob cavity, and that's the 1MOhm and 50K ones.

Just this week I have again tried to get a solution.

I have a pickguard for two humbuckers but everything is standard Jazzmaster. I had hopes of somehow wiring up the two 50k mini pots in parallel, and use the roller pot cavity as a master volume section, and try and rout an extra slide switch beside the original and use the slide switches on the  upper bout as single coil/humbucker selection switches.

But I have now found that the Jaguar bracket I bought for this roller pot assembly is not long enough for the Jazzmaster roller pot slots!  I doubt I can source a proper sized bracket and have gone up to my local hardware to buy an aluminium strip to somehow fashion into a bracket to fit.

Even if I fashion this strip to match, I still have the issue of somehow routing for the extra slide switch. I mentioned this task in another thread & someone mentioned slowly and carefully cutting out the oblong shape by using an exacto knife.

Well, tried that and the blade I have is not strong enough to cut into the pickguard material, so I am now back to thinking of using a Dremel - very carefully. Could I use a chrome upper bout plate for a Jaguar as a template for the Dremel when doing this?

Next problem to solve after that is to incorporate the 50K roller pots. I can use them together in parallel to give me the required 25K, but do I wire them independent of each other and wire in parallel a 47K resistor, giving me individual volume for each pickup, or do I just wire the two pots together in parallel and use either as a master volume? Also, how would you wire a pot and resistor, or two pots, in parallel?

I am getting to the point where I am thinking that the parade has past this project by. I can, of course, use a lot of the hardware & electronics on another project & fit this gear into something more appropriate for the premium class they deserve. But that would mean junking a neck and body that have very good sustaining properties.

So I have some work to do on this or do I just strip the good stuff off it and look for another body and neck (and get the controls and battery cavities done to match the complexity of the project)? :help:

Max said:
Sorry I can't be much help, but what exactly do you intend for this to look like?

The Jazzmaster will look like a Jazzmaster std. but with a Wilkinson trem and EMG pickups, in Fiesta Red. Switching (3 way toggle and slide switch as per usual Jazzmaster design, extra slide switch added next to the original?)and roller pots to be included if at all possible.

I really ahve to wrap this up in a month or so, it's just taking way too long and I have some music I need to record and this sort of incomplete project is holding things up! I have other guitars I can use but if I can use a good sounding EMG system for some lead breaks I will be happy.

Longest post ever :laughing7:
Got lost in the middle of the thing...

I may be a d!ck now, but I think you're trying to complicate even more a already complicated thing...

I don't know anything about the Jazzmaster, but why do you want 4 slide switch?
If the EMG are not working on it I would get another pickups... Remember that EMG sounds very sterile normally, so... Trying to fix something that is probably not fixing-able... EMG will sounds like EMG...

And why don't you get the 25k pots?  :icon_scratch:

This may be one case where the initial idea doesn't hold up to the reality - EMGs for jazz? two active circuits in one guitar? I think the initial Jmaster was too complicated, but it seems you want even more complication. I guess I agree with NT, but maybe somebody else will give you a better answer.

Thanx for the honesty guys, appreciate it.

Nonsense, the reason the post was so long was because I was hoping to answer all the 'wtf?" moments people would have reading the outline!
Apologies for the long post. I am not the best at telling stories in a short way, comes from my days of working with lawyers and having to write correspondence to them in such a language that there was no ambiguity.

Yes, agree it is a complex project. Not four slide switches, btw. I am hoping for 1 3-way toggle (neck-mid-bridge) and two slide switches (single coil-humbucker) for the individual pickups.

Re: Why not just 25K pots?  
Body is routed for Jazzmaster design. Two std. pots and two roller pots. EMG EQ circuits are installed on pots and need the space that is in the main control cavity, leaving only the roller pot cavity for the volumes. Normal mini pits won't squeeze in the roller pot assembly bracket, they are too deep to sit centred on the bracket, believe me, I have tried.

tfarny
Yes, it is a case of the reality biting hard.
Not so much of EMGs for Jazz, but the idea of the most advanced pickup design (actives, pre amp installed in pickup) for the guitar.
Of course I had entertained the idea of sustainer and synth pickups too, but dismissed that early on as I didn't know enough about them.

I'm not sure how hard is to find, but I'd be searching for 25k push-pulls to split them with a new pickguard... Remember that you can route everything UNDER the pickguard and nobody will know it :laughing7: Sometimes a step back helps more than one forward, I guess...

No need to apologize on writing a lot, I'm guilty of writing less than I should to make things "able to understanding"

NonsenseTele said:
I'm not sure how hard is to find, but I'd be searching for 25k push-pulls to split them with a new pickguard... Remember that you can route everything UNDER the pickguard and nobody will know it

Trying to keep the std. Jazzmaster configuartion, and you are assuming I am confident with a router - I am not! Push-pulls would have to go in the main cavity, and that is already taken up by the tone circuit pots. other wise you ahve to look at engineering ways to use the roller pot system or switching.

I think you have 295 times less things to worry of everything BEHIND the pickguard than routing THE pickguard....

And with the push-pulls I'd be leaving the switching levers to hell... would be the 3 way toogle with the pots only... You would be able to get the same H bridge/H bridge+neck/H neck or S bridge/S bridge + neck/ S neck... You could even put one push-pull for each humbucker...

Ummm, EMGs are NOT sterile pups, sorry, but that is false.  :doh:

I posted videos under "BLUE" in the Tele section of completed guitars, check out the clean section after the 3 chord lead in for "Hemorrahge". EMG 81/85 combo.

85 and 89 (85/SA combo pup)  EMGs are great warm pups that work well. With a maple body, you'll need that warmth.

DbU, it sounds exactly like the EMGs I've played or seen people playing :)
The niciest thing about EMGs IMO, is that they sound very consistent in different amps, etc... the 85/89 are more versatile (I saw people playing with good tones classic rock, etc) but EMG isn't exactly know by versatility... It's more like "get where you get, plug and the tone you're used will be there without much work"...

I said not in a way that I don't like EMGs, but for what he wants play Jazz on it, where I sould suggest other kind of pickups...
Check out this for Jazz tone:
http://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=18872.0

2x EMG 89 with
1x EMG SPC circuit
1x EMG EXG circuit
will give him any tone possible for what he's wanting to do and more.

Wood and construction have a lot to do with the tone EMGs produce. They are not a true "cookie cutter" pup where every guitar sounds identical. If 2/3s of the people play EMGs in mahogany bodies and necks then 2/3s of the people will have a similar sound.

Seriously, I have EMGs in my Gibson Gothic Studio, my PRS Custom24, "BLUE", "Burn Unit", my Jackson Stars Kelly, my Ibanez 7-string  and two of my Hamer Californians USA Elites with solid flame maple bodies and they all have that EMG active liveliness, but at the same time sound different.

I know you didn't say anything about not liking them.  :icon_thumright:
I for the life of me just can't figure out why they get put down the way they do?? They have some of the broadest frequency range output and fit many styles well.

Fernando, I'm not shooting to get a jazz sound at all. The idea is to take the idea of lots of electronics, much like the Jazzmaster must have been when it was first released, and take that idea into the modern age by employing the active EMGs and tone circuits. Versatility rather than jazz tone.

If you sat down and had a look at the std. pot for even a  25K pot, you'll soon realise if you look at the roller pot assembly design, that the std. sized pot, or even one that may be marketed as a mini sized one, will not fit there. Adding a push-pull switch underneath that, makes the situation worse, and I doubt you can find mini pots that are push-pull (with a DPDT) and 25K (unless they are OEM for piezo systems). They are simply not made and I have, in the past, trawled the 'net far and wide for them. :sad:

Death by Uberschall said:
Ummm, EMGs are NOT sterile pups, sorry, but that is false.  :doh:

I posted videos under "BLUE" in the Tele section of completed guitars, check out the clean section after the 3 chord lead in for "Hemorrahge". EMG 81/85 combo.

85 and 89 (85/SA combo pup)  EMGs are great warm pups that work well. With a maple body, you'll need that warmth.

What I was hoping for, using the maple body, was more than enough sustaining properties than I'd probably need and a tight tone that can be better controlled through active eq circuits. That way, with the 18v headroom, I'd have more tone than I need to mush up through the tone circuits and, if anything, have to turn things down! But I think the ebony fretboard and the maple neck have made the tone go too far in that direction and the raw tests I did showed the tone very toppy and lively, hence the absolute need to use eq circuits.

If the roller pot isn't fitting properly what's wrong with drilling a new hole for a standard pot? Maybe a rotary switch for the split single coil/humbucker sounds?

First time trying to upload from Photobucket.......bear with me. :icon_scratch: :tard:
I think these are clickable thumbnails if you want a larger size image. (That's how they work for me, but maybe for visitors to my Photobucket page it may be different?)

Guitar body as it is today. EMGs fitted but no tone circuits. Battery box only temp. fitted.

Body with Pickguard off.

Close up of Upper Bout cavity.

See how Jaguar bracket is not wide enough... Pot holes do not match up to slots in new pickguard.
(Since posting this Thread I have done some further checking around and fair enough, there is a Jazzmaster bracket - and it is longer than the Jaguar. Can get them at GuitarPartsResource.com  http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/hardware_other.html)

Notice how a 25K pot hangs down from bracket. Will that touch the top part of where the pickups are housed?

Another view of the larger sized pot hanging down. 250K, 500K and push pull pots would be worse.

Rear & Front view of where I'd like to rout a slot for the second slide switch.

Watching this build intently as i am going the 12string JM next and might pickup some what not to do and can do.

Looking good Pete

TonyW said:
Watching this build intently as i am going the 12string JM next and might pickup some what not to do and can do.

Looking good Pete

Don't hold your breath Tony, this project has been years in the making and I'm about to junk the body and neck if I can't squeeze these electronics into it. Passive pickups would sound horrid in this - so much sustain and the maple makes things sound pretty thin. Had a set of Kent Arnstrong Firebirds mini humbuckers at one stage in this guitar, and it sounding very thin and trebly indeed.

Dunno what sort of wood and pickup combo you could try for a good 12 string sound? Rickenbacker get away with a lot of maple in their guitars, but that's a lot of frequencies flying around, and I bet Ricky use some very select tonewood maple for the 12s.

But if you can learn from some of my mistakes, go right ahead! :laughing3:

Perhaps you should just scrap the body. Get one that's routed for a battery box in the rear, and you'll free up a ton of real estate for electronics.

Back