What is your favorite LIVE musical video?

Cagey said:
You're taking this much too seriously. Nobody's puffing their chest and feeling superior, or saying their opinion is better than yours. They're just offering their opinion, the same way you did by posting a music video in a thread asking for your favorites. How is it you can have an opinion, but it isn't allowed for others to have one? You've essentially puffed your chest out and said "Look at me! This band is superior!" Is this your band? Do you play in it? Are you its mother? And even if any or all of that is true, does that make them or their music superior? I'm afraid not, Spanky.

You like them, that's fine. Now we know. Some others will or won't and may or may not say why, and we'll know that, too. In the grand scheme of things, it matters not a whit.

Just for the record, I don't enjoy that kind of music, so I'm not sure those guys are any good at it. My guess is they're not, if we're judging by musical talent/composition/listenability/etc. Close as I can tell, there's a demon growling something unintelligible in the background, a guitar player with a super-compressed tone playing some kind of fabricated scales at the speed of light, and a drummer having wild monkey sex on a set of acoustic drums. I'm sure they're having a blast, and there are those who enjoy that sort of thing so much they'd even pay to see/hear it. That's fine. Fun's where you find it. Personally, I couldn't care less if you paid me.

You're taking this much too seriously.
You have been defending a post of which you are not even the author. The only reason for defending a post which isn't even your's is that you, too, are taking this "much too seriously." If pabloman had simply said "not my cup o tea. Don't dig the constant sweeps and over compression of the guitar," then THAT would lead to discussion. Instead he had to write something to put it down.
It hardly ever applicable in anything decent besides the "I want to show my technical prowess" garbage.
Which could also be stated as, "This isn't decent, and it is garbage." So, according to you, Cagey, that statement will lead to discussion(which it sort of has).

They're just offering their opinion...
No. pabloman was simply putting down and entire GENRE of music (as you do later in the above quote). Why call a band "lame" or "garbage" when you clearly do NOT listen to the genre of music they play and thus nothing to base your judgement on? The answer would be, as I was stating before, to feel better about yourself. To reassure yourself that what you listen to is the greatest. No other type of music is better because your music is best. No music should ever have sweeps very often because the music you listen to doesn't. That type of closed-mindedness is what was wrong with his post.

How is it you can have an opinion, but it isn't allowed for others to have one?
Notice how I didn't comment on any of the other videos posted. I didn't trash talk anyone else's favorite live videos. I left their opinion of "favorite" as it is, because it has nothing to do with me. As I was saying before, this thread will NOT change anyone's taste in music. And up until pabloman's post everyone was doing the right thing. "Oh I don't listen to that music, so I won't critique their playing technique since I am in no way associated with that particular type of music. However, here is my pick for 'favorite live music video'" pabloman's trash talk of some of my favorite music was what really irked me. There was no sign of it before my post in this thread, and maybe it's simply because I'm new here. Either way, I'm not just going to roll over on this issue.

Nobody's puffing their chest and feeling superior...You've essentially puffed your chest out and said "Look at me! This band is superior!"
I'm not sure what to say about this, since you went from nobody to everybody within 3 sentences... :icon_scratch:
I suppose I'll make a rebuttal to the second statement. I was, in no way shape or form, declaring Brain Drill to be superior. I guess it was "superior" on my own list of favorite live videos, but I wasn't stating that it was better than anything else on this thread. I essentially said, "Hey, check out these guys. I saw them live and now I use thumbpicks." I was kind of hoping to get some discussion relating to my statement I had after the video and not so much the video itself. Sort of like, "Have you ever been to a concert and picked up something they do or how they play?"

Is this your band? Do you play in it? Are you its mother?
I friggin wish! They probably get drunk a lot, though, and I don't drink... Cool dudes, though. I talked to them after the show. Oddly polite. Also, don't call me Spanky and I won't call you Shirley.

so I'm not sure those guys are any good at it. My guess is they're not
Why? Why judge something you yourself admitted you know nothing about? I don't go to the Olympics and judge the curling event. You shouldn't judge a speed death metal band when your favorite live music video is of Deep Purple. Which is the point I was trying to make earlier. I like death metal, I'll leave pop rock and classic rock alone. Why? Because I honestly have not a whit of an idea as to what's good in either of those categories. To me it's all the same, as I'm sure all death metal is to you. If you can't see a difference in any song in a genre, then I believe you have no right to sit and judge any artist within that genre.

Phew! Okay, having said all of that I would like to apologize to lidesnowi for getting so far off on a tangent. Cagey, you mentioned that the drummer looks like a monkey(I'm assuming the best and thinking that isn't meant to be racist) and I'd like to state that generally, death metal IS in fact goofy. I totally agree with you on that. The vocals are goofy, the lyrics are goofy, the music that they're creating is well... goofy(goofy goofy goober goober YEAH!) When metal(or, in my opinion any music) starts getting serious, it is either really sad(a song in memory of... type thing) or really watered down. I tend not to listen to music where the artist isn't having fun. Ted Nugent is a great example of being able to hear that he's having fun. Devin Townsend is another example, and is actually the reason I started listening for fun in the music.

Death metal is my most listened to type of music and is, by nature, funny. But, as pabloman inadvertently stated, they do have technical prowess.

(WARNING: excessive swearing)
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ_VBf38XUA[/youtube]

I'd just like to say that I listen to classic rock and metal. Most metal bands wouldn't even exist if it weren't for classic rock bands like Deep Purple, Zeppelin and Sabbath, to name a few. Those bands weren't always refered to as "classic rock". It's classic because it's over 25 years old. Just like bands today will be refered to as classic 25 years from now. Also, not all metal bands are "goofy". Opeth is one of the best bands around and they don't write goofy lyrics or music. I used to listen to Cannibal Corpse a lot while in high school, 11 years ago. They are great musicians and the musical ability is very impressive but it doesn't take a lot of skill to write lyrics about killing people. Not saying that every song has to be serious, I'm a huge Primus fan and they are definately not serious. Might I suggest sitting down with a few classic Deep Purple or Sabbath albums. You'll definately hear where newer metal bands got their influence from, even though it may not be 100mph all of the time. That gets boring anyway, listening and playing. I was in a prog/thrash metal band a few years ago. It was fun but it got boring for me after a while.

Opeth Does have fun, though. A guy I know has been to one of their concerts and Mikael is hilarious on stage. I've listened to Led Zepplin. A lot. My dad was wayyy into them and I heard a lot of it growing up. Along with the Beach Boys which I still listen to at least once a week. When I mean "serious" I am mostly referring to bands that are actually into the crazy stuff their lyrics are about. Death metal bands that really worship satan. That music just plain sucks. Those bands tend to not have any of the skills set that a fun-loving, so to speak, death metal band would. I was/am in a thrashy metal band and I thought it was a lot of fun. After a year of working together with my band mates, we're calling it quits, but only because of job relocation.

And it will DEFINITELY be really weird 25 years from now hearing Opeth and Cannibal Corpse on 97.1. I'm really wondering what will be replacing it... What will be the new "100 mph" music, you know?

I saw Opeth on the Progressive Nation tour with Dream Theater, Between the Buried and Me and Three. Mikael is pretty damn funny. He made a reference to him looking like David Coverdale because his hair was getting really big and said that Opeth was a cock rock band. They randomly went into a little jazz jam for a few minutes, their set was really laid back. It sucks that your band is splitting. It's hard keeping stuff like that going. It seems that every good band I'm involved in splits up long before it should.

With metal musicians becoming faster and music becoming heavier, it's probably going to cause the earth to fall off of it's axis and float into the black hole, lol.

"Back in my day we only blasted at 220 bpms." Then I play my grand kids some classic Berserker. They they're like "You have you use your hands? This is like a baby's toy."

And no worries about the band splitting up. I'm in 3 other ones, haha. One is pretty typical metal with some weird time sigs thrown in once in a while, another is really kind of all over the place we just play what we feel like play at the time, and the 3rd one is with my brother. We're just starting this project up. We're half native american and we're wanting to learn more about our heritage. So, we're going to listen to a lot of tribal music and incorporate that into a drum and bass sound(since those are our respective instruments). We named it Native American Head Charge.

10maxpower01 said:
and the 3rd one is with my brother. We're just starting this project up. We're half native american and we're wanting to learn more about our heritage. So, we're going to listen to a lot of tribal music and incorporate that into a drum and bass sound(since those are our respective instruments). We named it Native American Head Charge.

That's a cool idea! My drummer plays in a bass/drum band as well but they do doom/stoner metal. It's pretty cool, the bassist used a Fender Jazz bass, big muff and a 3 amp/3 canbinet setup.

Our project would be a lot of break beat stuff, but we're both into doom, I'm sure we'll throw some in the mix.

I was thinking about getting a Big Muff sometime, did it sound pretty decent?

10maxpower01 said:
I was thinking about getting a Big Muff sometime, did it sound pretty decent?

That bassist uses an old one meant for guitar but my bassist uses the bass big muff and it sounds great! We're only a 3 piece, he uses it sometimes when I go into a guitar solo. It really fills up the sound.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcS793J3OXY[/youtube] Johnny Cash

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OeNKlEvxa4&feature=player_detailpage[/youtube]
:hello2:

This thread needs a Floyd

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wtiNzci1Wc[/youtube]

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SvEMPyZFRj0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I'm a 44 yr old metalhead, and I decree that this was heavy before heavy was heavy.  :headbang:

Back