wenge strat underway

onedrop

Woods arrived last Friday, got some things done with only a few minor glitches so far. Spent almost a whole day drilling the control holes, but they turned out perfect... So far so good. And took some pics finally too.

Was surprised how much weight the PW tuners added to the neck, after those went on it is a little neck-heavy. Maybe once all the controls and the bridge are in it'll balance out again.

Wenge back/ rosewood top (hollow)
Wenge neck/ macasser ebony FB (59 roundback)

This thing sounds like a drum when you tap it, super resonant, exactly as I'd hoped.
Made a rosewood control cover out of some veneer, looks cool with the wenge back, although I chewed up a bit of the wood drilling the counter-sink screw holes... (sorry no pictures of the back)

Oh, dear.

That puppy is SWEET!

Just one comment, all (mostly) Wenge and you can notice the weight of the PW (?) tuners?

You, Sir, have built the manliest of manly guitars. What does this bad boy/girl weigh?

It is actually not that heavy, the body weighed in at 4.6lbs, the neck 1.5lbs. Before the (PW = planet waves) tuners went on it was really nicely balanced, now it's a little less so -- we'll see when the rest of the hardware goes on how it is.

Let me tell you, I'm just digging the heck out of this guitar.

Are those Swineshead pickups?

Wow!!
Dark woods, No Dots, Recessed Tom, PW's, Sounds like the ultimate Strat for me!!
Can't wait to see more pics!
What color hw (bridge and PW's) are you using?

Looks nice!

Hope it's not black hardware as it's looking like... Going to look overdark (to me) with the black hardware

Do a rain of pics when the guitar get finished

NonsenseTele said:
Looks nice!

Hope it's not black hardware as it's looking like... Going to look overdark (to me) with the black hardware

Do a rain of pics when the guitar get finished

It is perfect. Let the man be.

:icon_biggrin:

Hey, thanks guys. Yeah most the hardware is black, I'll prolly use these rosewood barrel knobs, but the bridge, tuners, strap pins, switches all black. Deal with it!  :laughing7:

Still debating a couple of mini toggles for extra coil splitting options. Left room for them at the back, but will prolly wire it up first before drilling any more holes, and do some auditioning.

The pickups are Reed James Custom -- wound on cocobolo bobbins (those aren't just covers). I met him while looking for wooden pickup rings, and after talking on the phone and exchanging a bunch of emails, I figured I'd give em a shot. Plus he had a sale on this month, so they weren't all that expensive.

Neck is 7.8k, bridge 9k. The coils are wound unevenly to give a more complex sound (I think dimarzio calls this dual resonance). He'll wind them to get whatever tone you're looking for, and will rewind them if you don't like them -- pretty cool guy.

Yeah, man, that thing looks friggin incredible!  Interesting thing there about the cocobolo bobbins. I will have to keep that name in mind for the future.

onedrop said:
The coils are wound unevenly to give a more complex sound (I think dimarzio calls this dual resonance)

Scatterwound is the name I've heard from many builders

Shite bro.

That looks amazin'.

I'm loving the Wenge ( i just ordered some new wardrobe doors made out of Wenge......well, it says Wenge but it's probably just Wenge effect)

Let us know how the pickups turn out.

Good Times

VERY interesting build - and mighty good looking, too! Sound clips should be interesting, as well! Glad it's resting on your shoulder...

Back