Water-based Lacquer on certain woods.

jeffjozwiak

Hi,

Does anyone have experience with using a water-based lacquer on possibly oily woods? I'm looking to use it on a walnut body and maybe in the future on wenge, bubinga, ebony, etc. Is this OK I'm concerned that it won't adhere. Any suggestions?

Joz

I didn't even know that "water-based lacquer" existed, guess that's a result of VOC concerns...  I wouldn't worry about it adhering, but a nice piece of figured walnut doesn't really need anything but WATCO Danish Oil for a finish.... http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=234.msg1274#msg1274

I tested early version of water-based lacquers when they were first being developed but have not shot any in quite awhile. I do know that some of the early versions did de-laminate from really tight grain woods like maple, in sheets! Those early versions gave way to new resins that may perform better but I have not used them so I would suggest that you contact the manufacture of the materials you are using and ask them directly if there are any limitations to the use of their product.  They will gladly tell you about potential pit falls since they do not want job failures with their products. You should be able to find a tech support number on the label somewhere or on the Internet. I would not seek the advise of the seller but the manufacture.

Back