Warmoth Walnut Soloist

Alright Connor, way to go man......
clap.gif
imslow.gif

Very sweet axe indeed, I just see one thing amiss. Wondering why you used a string retainer.. :icon_scratch: No need on angled headstock...

DangerousR6 said:
clap.gif
imslow.gif

Very sweet axe indeed, I just see one thing amiss. Wondering why you used a string retainer.. :icon_scratch: No need on angled headstock...
Well, I did need it because the strings were going sharp.  Must have something to do with the nut.

Oh and thanks for the kind words!

Wana's_makin'_a_guitar said:
DangerousR6 said:
clap.gif
imslow.gif

Well, I did need it because the strings were going sharp.  Must have something to do with the nut.

:icon_thumright:

Wana's_makin'_a_guitar said:
DangerousR6 said:
clap.gif
imslow.gif

Depending on the tuners it can happen or no, does it have adjust of height??

Its one of the counter arguments to having as less winds as possible on the post to stay in tune.  Some argue that more winds down means that the string gets a lower angle to the nut.  But sometimes the nut or shelf or tuners can be just out enough so that you still need the bar.

The more I look at that guitar, the more I like it.  What are you playing it through for amp and pedals?

Blue313 said:
Its one of the counter arguments to having as less winds as possible on the post to stay in tune.  Some argue that more winds down means that the string gets a lower angle to the nut.  But sometimes the nut or shelf or tuners can be just out enough so that you still need the bar.

The more I look at that guitar, the more I like it.  What are you playing it through for amp and pedals?
I'm playing through a amp that I believe doesn't deserve such an awesome guitar, my not so bad, but not enough grunt Marshall MG30, (what an intro) And my 95 crybaby.

Sometimes I go over to my neighbors and play the MG100 Halfstack, but I haven't got the chance to do so with the soloist yet.

I found an Awesome setting on my amp to go with my guitar. Gain at 2:30 bass at 10 o'clock  contour at 9 o'clock and trebble to the max! Great for Metal and Rock.

Blue313 said:
If you're still going to omit the tone pot, the JB's got a decent tapped tone.
When I get around to getting the rest of the stuff, i'll see if I can get a push pull for that. I'm not omitting the tone and vol. just postponing it till I can find some decent parts here in Aus.

And when you say decent, Do you mean "good" or "not so good, But tolerable" ?

I've had a love/hate relationship with its scooped mids depending on the song,  but I'd have to say its lead tone is its best part.  It cuts through nicely when you really need to.  It's not as full as a PAF style but it definitely screams under high gain without being muddy.  The tapped tone pulls some really nice cleans though.  A very versatile pickup IMHO and balances well with a PAF type in the neck position.

Blue313 said:
I've had a love/hate relationship with its scooped mids depending on the song,  but I'd have to say its lead tone is its best part.  It cuts through nicely when you really need to.  It's not as full as a PAF style but it definitely screams under high gain without being muddy.  The tapped tone pulls some really nice cleans though.  A very versatile pickup IMHO and balances well with a PAF type in the neck position.
I'd have to agree with you there (apart from the PAF and split cause I haven't tried it yet), It screams with clarity Which is good for me!

This project has got me pumped.  I've been eye-fornicating a Walnut Tele body in the showcase.  I'm thinking of doing a finish like you did.  Did you use grain filler?  Does Walnut need grain filler?

Back