Warmoth Pro or Vintage?

Watchie

Can anyone provide input as to the effective difference between the Warmoth Pro and their Vintage line?  I understand the Pro has a double truss rod, but in the end will the two necks have any real difference in stability?  My cosmetic preference is the Vintage, given the "skunk" strip on the back, but I don't want to give up anything in terms of long term quality.

Thanks for any and all input.

I also prefer the skunk stripe of the vintage neck,
I know the 2 way adjustable neck is a improvement and evolution, but I live in Southern California and my necks do not need to be adjusted very much, in fact when they do need adjustment it is a event. seriously we are spoiled here.
well anyway I think it is a preference we can afford to chose as it mainly is a convenience thing, or at least I see it that way.

I have MANY Warmoth builds/necks.

So far I've never had to readjust a Warmoth Pro neck after initial setup, have a couple installed 5 years.

Vintage/Vintage Modern necks tend to need re-adjusting on an annual/seasonal basis.

Watchie said:
My cosmetic preference is the Vintage, given the "skunk" strip on the back, but I don't want to give up anything in terms of long term quality.
Jusatele said:

Real quick, if a 2 piece neck, like a Maple neck with Rosewood fretboard, the Total Vintage has no skunk stripe whereas the Vintage modern does.  They make 3 necks, not 2.  Total Vintage, Vintage Modern, and Warmoth Pro.

Jusatele said:
I know the 2 way adjustable neck is a improvement and evolution, but I live in Southern California and my necks do not need to be adjusted very much, in fact when they do need adjustment it is a event. seriously we are spoiled here.
well anyway I think it is a preference we can afford to chose as it mainly is a convenience thing, or at least I see it that way.

Except the state is broke, has some of the worst taxes, and its more of a Mexican colonial territory than a state of the union.

Then, you know, you have the happy "feel good" aspects of California...

Smog, brown-outs, earthquakes, mud-slides, forest fires, volcano's, hurricane's, possible tsunami's, and that whole possibility of "falling into the ocean" thing...

:laughing7:

ORC

ORCRiST said:
Jusatele said:

Except the state is broke, has some of the worst taxes, and its more of a Mexican colonial territory than a state of the union.

Smog, brown-outs, earthquakes, mud-slides, forest fires, volcano's, hurricane's, possible tsunami's, and that whole possibility of "falling into the ocean" thing...

ORC

...Medical marijuana
ph34r2.gif

boy do we have you guys fooled

I mean now that you will not move out here and we can have more to ourselves

Yea we have a few problems, not any ore than any other place, Ah no hurricanes Ora,haven't seen a brown out in my area, all that was one county, and if you study plate techtonics, we are moving north, not into the sea.
But say what you will about taxes, we also have the 2nd biggest economy in the nation, just behind the entire nation, we make double the national average so high taxes come with the income level. Wanna take Mexico? We a colony?

You a Racist ?  Are you afraid because a large portion of this state is Hispanic, I bet you talk about the blacks in the south don't you?

Anyway, I prefer SoCal over most of the united states. I can go Skiing in the morning and be at the beach that afternoon, I can count on more days of sunshine that anywhere else in the US, I live 60 miles from the beach, about 20 miles from a major mountain range, and 60 miles from the desert. My options for recreation are very wide and varied.  Yea I will continue to live in this Screwed up state, It has one of the best standards of living in America.

So, how's about those skunk stripes?  In the end, the skunk strip on a 2 piece neck is actually just an indicator of where the truss rod adjustment will be.  No stripe, it's at the heel (or side adjust on the Pro).  Stripe, it's at the headstock. 

crash said:
ORCRiST said:
Jusatele said:

ORC

...Medical marijuana
ph34r2.gif

Come to Ontario!  Possession and Use in your own home is legal!.  So is going topless in public for women (although it's so cold right now no one is gonna do that)

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOYdBWIQW0I[/youtube]

BTW, I don't have much to add to the original discussion except that here in Ontario (which has one of the biggest annual temperature swings in north america - 80 deg) I have never adjusted my warmoth pro necks, of which I have five.

Don't have any total vintage ones, so I can't comment on that. 

Anyway, gotta go - got the munchies....

Pittsburgh PA here.
My main Warmoth lives on a stand near my bay windows. Sometimes I pick it up on winter mornings and the bridge is really cold. I've had it since the mid 80's
and have only tweaked the neck adjustment once and that was a few yrs. after I got it and to fine tune it after getting more used to it.
It's never needed any adjustment since.

My second build is only a few months old but it's not needed a second adjustment. I set it once and it's been stable since then.
It lives in a case on the other side of the room.

They're both warmoth pro but the old one (my avitar) is before they started using the side adjustment.

Steve_Karl said:
Pittsburgh PA here.
My main Warmoth lives on a stand near my bay windows. Sometimes I pick it up on winter mornings and the bridge is really cold. I've had it since the mid 80's
and have only tweaked the neck adjustment once and that was a few yrs. after I got it and to fine tune it after getting more used to it.
It's never needed any adjustment since.

My second build is only a few months old but it's not needed a second adjustment. I set it once and it's been stable since then.
It lives in a case on the other side of the room.

They're both warmoth pro but the old one (my avitar) is before they started using the side adjustment.

Same area, same experience with my Pro. It's Goncalo Alves (which is really stiff) in combination with the side adjust = rock solid stability.

I live in MD, which can be super humid and 100 in the summer (or well over like this last summer...) and 10 or below (like this wonter). Last year our AC broke almost on schedule once every couple weeks. My room (with my Pro necked Telecaster Deluxe) would get up to 95 degrees. The heat went out last winter and the house got down to around 55 degrees. No problems with the neck at all! Plus it resonates beautifully. I wouldn't buy the BS that the double truss rod sucks tone  from your guitar. While it might be true, it's not nearly enough to keep me away from them. Only good things to say for them! They're solid as a rock.

They're both stable; with the double being moreso.

However, from a tone standpoint:

- single has more mids than double; double seems slightly scooped in the mids dept.

Sorry... I happen to think old school has worked fine for all these years.  Vintage

I remember in Louisiana bringing in the guitars to have neck tweaks was a regular thing, as opposed to now finding it is a rarity. Once setup a guitar stays that way here. Maybe it is just how low I like my action. 

Sorry... I happen to think old school has worked fine for all these years.  Vintage

I'm with CB.

Remember; young men have dreams but old men have vision! :laughing7:

Back