Warmoth Peel n Play Giveaway - Enter Now!

Aaron I like your Warmoth parts guitar. Can you tell us how much of the assembly did you do yourself and how much and which parts did you use a professional to assemble? Did you do all the internal wiring? Did you do a fret leveling job on the neck?

I like the guitar and your taste. Maybe Warmoth will let you assemble 1 guitar a quarter but they would keep it and hang it on the wall in the background as idea generators for those of us who prefer building our own guitars rather than buy a factory made guitar.

WindsurfMaui said:
Aaron I like your Warmoth parts guitar. Can you tell us how much of the assembly did you do yourself and how much and which parts did you use a professional to assemble? Did you do all the internal wiring? Did you do a fret leveling job on the neck?

I like the guitar and your taste. Maybe Warmoth will let you assemble 1 guitar a quarter but they would keep it and hang it on the wall in the background as idea generators for those of us who prefer building our own guitars rather than buy a factory made guitar.

I assemble my guitars myself, including wiring. I have neither the time nor the inclination (nor the tools, nor the ability) to do fret leveling, but thankfully all my guitars play just fine as they are. Someday I WILL send one to Cagey, just to see what all the fuss is about.  :icon_biggrin:

As far as the other issue, I have tried and tried to get Warmoth to let me build a personal guitar every month for free, so I can show them off on YouTube, but so far they haven't listened to the voice of reason. What I need is a groundswell of support....grassroots support from guys like you. Write in, demanding I get my way. Recruit your friends to write in. Make your voices heard!

Just grab the parts you need and go. Easier to get forgiveness than permission...  :laughing7:

Aaron we have the same attitude, do the assembling and wiring (even when we get it wrong) and leave the fret jobs to the pros. Although like you I haven't needed a fret leveling yet. I do spend a lot of time tweaking the string height/neck straightness looking for the ultimate sweet spot.

As for the "suits" do you have an email address for us to plead the case for more Aaron built sample guitars to expand our minds to builds we should want to try? I do have a bias. As much as an unassembled body looks good online it doesn't come alive until I use the "picture it" tool to see what the guitar will look like with the parts and neck attached (when I can get it to work). Doesn't Warmoth go on the road to NAMM and other shows and bring assembled sample guitars to use as decoration as well as letting people see how good they feel and sound?

WindsurfMaui said:
Aaron we have the same attitude, do the assembling and wiring (even when we get it wrong) and leave the fret jobs to the pros. Although like you I haven't needed a fret leveling yet. I do spend a lot of time tweaking the string height/neck straightness looking for the ultimate sweet spot.

As for the "suits" do you have an email address for us to plead the case for more Aaron built sample guitars to expand our minds to builds we should want to try? I do have a bias. As much as an unassembled body looks good online it doesn't come alive until I use the "picture it" tool to see what the guitar will look like with the parts and neck attached (when I can get it to work). Doesn't Warmoth go on the road to NAMM and other shows and bring assembled sample guitars to use as decoration as well as letting people see how good they feel and sound?

Well, as far as sending in letters to the suits, I am only kidding.*

Also, Warmoth does not currently attend NAMM or any other trade shows. I've been pleading my case on that as well. They are very expensive to attend. We will see what the future holds.

*Well....mostly kidding. I'd say 60% kidding.

Cagey said:
Just grab the parts you need and go. Easier to get forgiveness than permission...  :laughing7:

You mean build it one piece at a time? And it wouldn’t cost him a dime... He’d have the only one there was a-round!

The first day he got him a tuner hole, and the second day he got one pickup switch pole, and then he got a neck and a plate and all four screws...

-VB- said:
You mean build it one piece at a time? And it wouldn’t cost him a dime... He’d have the only one there was a-round!

The first day he got him a tuner hole, and the second day he got one pickup switch pole, and then he got a neck and a plate and all four screws...

Isn't there a Johnny Cash song about that?  :icon_biggrin:

[youtube]https://youtu.be/ws-_syszg84[/youtube]

The Aaron said:
-VB- said:

Isn't there a Johnny Cash song about that?  :icon_biggrin:

[youtube]https://youtu.be/ws-_syszg84[/youtube]

I’m smelling a marketing campaign...

It’s a Tele- Strato- Mooncaster- Jazzmaster- SG- Flying V- Single Coil- Humbucker- Hardtail- Tremolo- Baritone- music machine....

aaron I'm kind of surprised that they don't even attend NAMM. Is there a national show for player/builders that Warmoth does attend to show off parts? I know Warmoth probably doesn't want to give you a guitar a month b/c after a while you would just be selling them off for cash. But I do like the idea of building some odd combination neck/bodies just to generate some mind blowing concepts. I'm sure that the vast majority of the builds bought from Warmoth are the standard Strat neck/body or VIP/vortex etc. I think we need some mind blowing examples to generate some new ideas.

I think there may be a pent up demand for some new styles. I really do like the Strat style but I might be tempted to build an Ibanez style if Warmoth made an Ibanez style headstock which I think should be added to the selection. Plus I like their counter sunk offset neck screw set up.

Anyway, Thanks for the new neck wood comparison I have a lot of comments that I will make on that video thread but it is very interesting.

I think a good part of the reason for this (unofficial) forum is Warmoth doesn't have to do that--they have us and others creating unique guitars from their materials.

Basically crowdsourcing exactly what you said. People can check out the galleries and read what the end user has to say.

Not one month goes by where a GOM doesn't have 3-4 mind-blowers. I mean who doesn't find making a choice hard each month?

Seamas said:
I think a good part of the reason for this (unofficial) forum is Warmoth doesn't have to do that--they have us and others creating unique guitars from their materials.

Basically crowdsourcing exactly what you said. People can check out the galleries and read what the end user has to say.

Not one month goes by where a GOM doesn't have 3-4 mind-blowers. I mean who doesn't find making a choice hard each month?
Well said.

The entry period for Peel n Play Giveaway #7 is now open! This month you have the chance to win either a Strat® or Tele® body....and register your votes for the best rock band of all time! Get in here: https://www.warmoth.com/sweepstakes.aspx?mobile=no

60162494_10158662850548289_8618491391464439808_n.jpg

Really? I thought I'd heard it was cancelled this month  :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:
It's MINE! Back away you little guitar grubbers!!! That tele is MINE!

I had to choose between Santana and the Grateful Dead.  That's like asking me which child I love better ... by the way Carlos is on the iceflow.

That one wasn't too hard for me. I like a few Dead tunes,but overall not really a follower.
Judas Priest vs Black Sabbath was harder for me, as neither one was really my thing.

All were pretty easy for me. Most difficult was Floyd vs Hendrix but I'm definitely listening to more Floyd than Hendrix right now :)

Rick said:
I had to choose between Santana and the Grateful Dead.  That's like asking me which child I love better ... by the way Carlos is on the iceflow.

Yeah.
While I rank Santana's first two albums among my favorites, I think the Dead's whole body of work gave them an edge. (I prefer Carlos as a player to Jerry though)

Back