Warmoth neck on Jackson body?

ghostrider25

I have a 1998/1999 Jackson DK2 and I'd like to replace the neck. Any idea if the Warmoth necks would fit? I haven't removed the neck yet but I think that the heel on the Jackson is more square than the Warmoth/Fender style (?)

Warmoth neck will fit just fine, Jackson uses the same neck pocket as Fender... :icon_thumright:

DangerousR6 said:
Warmoth neck will fit just fine, Jackson uses the same neck pocket as Fender... :icon_thumright:

Don't count on it.  In general, the answer has been no, they don't fit.  Best bet is to check the Will it Fit page.

Wyliee said:
DangerousR6 said:

Don't count on it.  In general, the answer has been no, they don't fit.  Best bet is to check the Will it Fit page.
Well all the Japanese Jacksons I have, have the same neck pocket as Fender. The DK2 he speaks of is a Japanese guitar, so in theory they should match up...But I guess without actually measuring the neck pocket you can't really know for sure... :dontknow:

StubHead said:
The number of frets and whether there's an overhang are really, really important.
Yes, with this into play makes all the difference. The neck pocket of the Jackson body is pretty close. I measured mine and there's just a few thousandths difference in the major width of the pocket. Length wise it's the same 3", bolt pattern is the same and in the same location. So the 2 major problems seem to be: 1 the radius on the end of the neck heel(which I have no way to check without taking apart a guitar), 2: as aforementioned the number of frets, Jacksons typically use 24 fret necks with a 2 fret overhang. So with that into the mix, I was wrong in saying that they will fit. Physically yes, correctly, I'd say no.. So Wyliee was right...

Thanks for all the replies, guys. Warmoth does make some 24 fret necks with the extension, though the pickings look pretty slim. Just by eye-balling it, this looks like it would fit.

mn1553B.jpg

What I'm not sure of though is if this is a neck for a Warmoth body ONLY and just has the Jackson style OR if this can actually be used as a Jackson replacement. What I would ideally like to have is a neck that will fit but with a different than "stock" neck/headstock. I would assume if this can be used as a Jackson replacement, then Warmoth should be able to build something for me that is the same scale with the extension.

Another question... if the Jackson neck pocking is 1/16" narrower than the Warmoth heel, which it seems like that is the case, assuming everything else was right, couldn't I just carefully sand 1/32 off of each side until it fit? That's such a small amount that it sounds OK in theory.

The neck pocket on the Jackson body is actually bigger than the neck heel of the Warmoth neck.

DangerousR6 said:
The neck pocket on the Jackson body is actually bigger than the neck heel of the Warmoth neck.

I think you're right. I think I got the heel and neck pocket measurements reversed. That sort of screws up my plan then, doesn't it?  :(

Neck pockets can be shaved, or shimmed as needed - if the Warmoth neck is narrower, I personally would not have a problem with some slight shimming on the sides of the pocket, as the great majority of the string pull is pulling straight towards the bridge. I want to be sure that your definition of the question is what I see. That is, that on different 25.5" scale guitars, the frets will all be located the same distance from the nut, but the actual neck mounting chunk with the screw holes can be closer to the nut or closer to the bridge?

In which case, the length of the neck from the nut to the end of it's heel block is the critical measurement. I don't have a loose Warmoth 25.5" scale neck off a guitar, but I did just measure one as best I could that's mounted on a guitar. Firstly, my measurement of the nut to 22nd fret - 18 5/16" (18.312")
I checked this with a fret calculator which said the 22nd fret on that scale length should be
18.344" - so I'm already off by 0.015" (or 1/64").

So, I'm not going to guarantee this past 1/16" or so,but on a Warmoth neck with 22 frets, the bottommost part of the curved Strat pocket just barely kisses that 22nd fret - I'd still call it 18 5/16" from the nut, possibly 18 21/64". A Telecaster neck is going have the end of the heel block 18 5/16" from the nut, all the way across.

That may be close enough to tell - I mean, they're either made to the same general spec, or not - if not, it's going to be off by way more than a sixteenth.

Not sure how much it helps but, it appears to be 12 3/4 from the nut to the 12th and 18 3/8 from the nut to the 22nd fret.

ghostrider25 said:
Not sure how much it helps but, it appears to be 12 3/4 from the nut to the 12th and 18 3/8 from the nut to the 22nd fret.
12.750(12 3/4) x 2 = 25.5

The relationship of the 22nd fret to the end of the neck heel is what matters here - like I said, they look to me to be the same. If the 22nd fret on your Jackson neck is right over the end of the heel, I'd say it's a go (I'd check with a second source too :icon_biggrin:). If the heel is in any other place, it's a no.

StubHead said:
The relationship of the 22nd fret to the end of the neck heel is what matters here - like I said, they look to me to be the same. If the 22nd fret on your Jackson neck is right over the end of the heel, I'd say it's a go (I'd check with a second source too :icon_biggrin:). If the heel is in any other place, it's a no.

Thanks. I got a reply from Warmoth and they said it's a no unless I want them to build something custom by hand for a price that far exceeds the value of the guitar.  :sad1:

Oh well, it was worth a shot. Thanks to everyone for your help.

Well unfortunately that sucks, but there are still plenty of Jackson necks on ebay... :dontknow:

I wonder why there are so many Jackson necks on eBay? Must say something about them. I'm not picking on them; I have too little experience with them to have an opinion. It just seems strange. Are all the bodies falling apart so there are a lot of leftover necks, or are the necks undesirable and so being replaced?

DangerousR6 said:
Well unfortunately that sucks, but there are still plenty of Jackson necks on ebay... :dontknow:

Yeah, I know. I was hoping to update with something a bit less "pointy shredder" though. Plus I like how I can customize the whole thing with Warmoth (wood, contour, fret size, etc, etc) so I could have something that was a little more fitting for me and more unique than the standard ole Jackson neck. Oh well, not gonna work I guess.

I share your lack of fascination with the pointy parts. They just look juvenile to me, like something KISS might play for the prepubescent crowd.

KISS_682_508335a.jpg

I... wanna pretend I'm young all night... and party every day!

EricCartmanPubes.png

But, as Stubhead said earlier in the thread, if there's some gappage on the sides of the pocket, it's not the end of the world. You can stuff something in there if it'll make you feel better, but really, the connection between the neck and body is taking place at the floor of the pocket. The side fit is really only important for aesthetics, so it doesn't look like a Guitar Center blisterpack guitar (free pick!)

Just buy the neck of doom, and if you can't make it work, then you'll have a serious excuse to buy the body you've always wanted. Snatch the hardware off the flasher, and you're all set. Toss the leftover wood parts in the fireplace, or put them on eBay like everybody else does.

Cagey said:
I wonder why there are so many Jackson necks on eBay? Must say something about them. I'm not picking on them; I have too little experience with them to have an opinion. It just seems strange. Are all the bodies falling apart so there are a lot of leftover necks, or are the necks undesirable and so being replaced?
I hated my dinky, especially the trem and neck. just a thought.

Back