Warmoth clear satin nitro

genethomas

Hi

Just received my Strat neck which was ordered to have a clear satin nitro finish.
To be honest I cant identify whether it has been finished or not! My Fender Clapton start has a satin finish (not nitro) but obviously its clear there is a finish.

My question is how thin do they apply a clear finish? I've not seen it referred to as a "thin skin"

I have tried to add close up images. I wondered if there were any quality control or identifying markers like the orange dots that might indicate the finish applied?

Thanks
Gene

Attachments

• DSCF9519.JPG
    DSCF9519.JPG
    381.9 KB · Views: 204
  • DSCF9520.JPG
    DSCF9520.JPG
    554.3 KB · Views: 167
  • DSCF9521.JPG
    DSCF9521.JPG
    331.3 KB · Views: 164
  • DSCF9522.JPG
    DSCF9522.JPG
    551.2 KB · Views: 192
  • DSCF9524.JPG
    DSCF9524.JPG
    341.2 KB · Views: 154
  • DSCF9526.JPG
    DSCF9526.JPG
    460.9 KB · Views: 210
The satin finish is VERY thin.  The colored dot sticker means yes, it's finished.  Congrats on your new neck!

Definitely finished!

Mine looks the same. Easy to see if you look at the frets - they are clearly covered in a thin Satin finish

Yep, to the orange dot.

Also, on a Maple fretboard there will finish over the frets, which will become evident the minute you start playing. It will need to be scraped off, which will happen naturally as you play, or as part of the initial set-up.

Thanks all.

Customer service has confirmed everything you have all said!
The coloured dot indicates the finish "Satin finishes are as close to raw wood as possible while still protecting the neck.  The finish will shine up over time with play"

Many thanks for the responses!
Gene

This is so funny, I had the EXACT same reaction to my first satin finished neck. 

What finally sold me on the fact it was finished was that they finished the fretboard after the frets were installed.  Eventually some of that finish scraped off.

ghotiphry said:
This is so funny, I had the EXACT same reaction to my first satin finished neck. 

What finally sold me on the fact it was finished was that they finished the fretboard after the frets were installed.  Eventually some of that finish scraped off.

Yeah I wondered the best way to get it off. I wondered if is masking up and using fret rubbers might do the trick.

genethomas said:
ghotiphry said:

Yeah I wondered the best way to get it off. I wondered if is masking up and using fret rubbers might do the trick.

I just ran an exacto blade along where the metal meets the wood and let natural wear take its course

I like to use any kind of a plastic scraper, or even the edge of a credit card.

I had the same reaction with my satin finish. It gives the neck such a nice texture!

Michael

Good morning

Gong back to my original post, now I have established my neck has a very thin nitro coat. Is there anything I can do to enhance the flame in the wood?

I didn't order it with the vintage tint as I didn't want anything as dark and I've already got one, but there is some fantastic flame I just want to enhance.

Would another thin coat of a lightly tinted lacquer over the existing finish achieve that? Maybe something like:  https://www.dartfords.com/nitrocellulose-guitar-neck-lacquer

Thanks
Gene

Back