Warmoth 40 Year History Video

aarontunes

Somewhere in the middle of nowhere.
Staff member
Finally got the green light to release this today! Check it out:

[youtube]https://youtu.be/O6MKuEWK2aY[/youtube]

Couldn't help but get misty eyed at 14:10. I was honored at the age of 41 to transition out of one career that I had been burned out of after 17 years to go to work for one of the most innovative and influential luthiers in the business, with a personal recommendation and phone call by my other favorite luthier and personal friend Neal Moser. Finally, after many years of perusing catalogs and long distance phone calls to ask questions and gain knowledge, I was now in a position to give something back. I greatly enjoyed my time there, and when the economy forced a layoff a year later, I was nothing but thankful.

Even after I left, Ken and I still stayed in touch for a few more years, and if I was in the neighborhood and saw his truck in the parking lot of the shop on a Saturday morning, I would pop in just to say ”hi” when Ken always followed up with a short tour of “what’s new”. Well into his 60’s, he was a kid in his own candy store. It can never be overstated just how much of an impact that he has had on the guitar manufacturing industry, with many comments from his own peers.
RIP Ken Warmoth.

This is cool!  I will watch later when I don't have a pile of work in front of me :)

Cool video, very informative.

I had not realised the iconic Mt Ranier was this visible from the Puyallap area.

stratamania said:

I had not realised the iconic Mt Ranier was this visible from the Puyallap area.

Oh yes....we are very close to it, much closer than Seattle. All it takes is a short 30-40 minute drive and it's time to put your climbing boots on.

The Aaron said:
stratamania said:

Oh yes....we are very close to it, much closer than Seattle. 40 minute drive and it's time to put your climbing boots on.

That is cool. I would love to see it one day for real. I remember seeing the Matterhorn a number of years ago now and visiting Zermatt nearby. There is something about some mountains that visually are really aesthetic - at least to my eye.

The Aaron said:
stratamania said:

Oh yes....we are very close to it, much closer than Seattle. All it takes is a short 30-40 minute drive and it's time to put your climbing boots on.

I could not help thinking of that old Ranier Beer commercial with the guy blasting through a mountain road on a motorcycle: "Raaaaaaaaaaaaanieeeeeeeeeeeeeer  Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeer..."  :headbang:

Mayfly said:
I could not help thinking of that old Ranier Beer commercial with the guy blasting through a mountain road on a motorcycle: "Raaaaaaaaaaaaanieeeeeeeeeeeeeer  Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeer..."  :headbang:

Fun fact: before I worked at Warmoth I worked in the high-end jewelry world for decades. For that last 6-7 years I worked in the old Rainier Brewery building just south of downtown Seattle....the iconic building with the Rainier "R" on top, that you may have seen pictures of.

iu

The inside of the building is a literal labyrinth of hallways and doorways, and all the concrete floors were tilted slightly in one direction or the other....not a level floor to be found in the place. I learned this was so workers in the brewery could easily hose down the floors, and the water would run out of the building.

It hasn't been used to brew beer for decades now. Most of it has become artists lofts or band rehearsal rooms. Very cool, artsy vibe there.

Fantastic vid.  Makes me remember being a kid and seeing the Warmoth ads in the back of Guitar World and Guitar Player magazines.

Didn't know that Warmoth made neck through designs early on.  Would love to an offering for this, but understand financially might not make sense.

Great job Aaron!

Whoooaaa, great video. Haha i know I'd buy a 23-fret Gibson scale neck

U4bUfjG.png

#oof on dat 'tremelo' spelling tho

stratamania said:

The view of the mountain from the parking lot... ignore the billboards and gas station.

Attachments

• mtrainier.jpg
    mtrainier.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 145
Mayfly said:
The Aaron said:
stratamania said:

I remember that commercial when I lived in Seattle in the late 70's and early 80's, my uncle used to drink that beer.  :toothy10:

The Aaron said:
Mayfly said:

Fun fact: before I worked at Warmoth I worked in the high-end jewelry world for decades. For that last 6-7 years I worked in the old Rainier Brewery building just south of downtown Seattle....the iconic building with the Rainier "R" on top, that you may have seen pictures of.

iu

The inside of the building is a literal labyrinth of hallways and doorways, and all the concrete floors were tilted slightly in one direction or the other....not a level floor to be found in the place. I learned this was so workers in the brewery could easily hose down the floors, and the water would run out of the building.

It hasn't been used to brew beer for decades now. Most of it has become artists lofts or band rehearsal rooms. Very cool, artsy vibe there.
When I was there in Seattle from 79-82, I remember seeing the Big Red R all the time going downtown, we'd skip school and wonder around town exploring...

Outstanding! I thought I had dug up most of the history of Warmoth, but you surprised me with a few things. Great work by everyone involved with the vid's production................... :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Wolff05 said:
stratamania said:

The view of the mountain from the parking lot... ignore the billboards and gas station.

I have several similar images from the Warmoth parking lot on my phone!

When the situation is just right, the sun rises behind the mountain and casts a shadow upwards into the clouds. I'd say it happens 4-5 times a year.

A mountain near Seattle called "Rainer", but mispronounced by the locals on purpose (because the West Coast Boston mirrors the east)

Wolff05 said:
stratamania said:

Cool sky thanks for posting.

swarfrat said:
A mountain near Seattle called "Rainer", but mispronounced by the locals on purpose (because the West Coast Boston mirrors the east)

I mis spelt Ranier in my earlier post but all reliable references I can find show that the correct spelling and name is Rainier.

Great video and some fond memories being in the loop over its history.  I started off mail ordering since Boogie Bodies then Warmoth. Got to know Gayle like how I know Spike now.  Heck, I was even a 30% discount dealer until it ended.  Ken and I corresponded often first via snail mail, telex then fax and we used to talk about other things un-guitar related.  Got to know Sandy here much later.  Here am I, still building guitars mainly using Warmoth parts and what a therapy in my advanced age.

Back