Finally verified: Nuno played a Warmoth

I do, because I can count on one hand how many famous players I've seen playing or endorsing Warmoth guitars.

You won't see many artists endorsing Warmoth because Warmoth doesn't do endorsements in the traditional sense. There isn't much marketing value to us. Most people will see a Fender headstock shape on a stage and assume what they're seeing is a Fender.

It's sometimes fun to look through the names on our daily orders and see a famous person in there. In fact, I just saw a very famous metal player's name go by a couple days ago (someone not in the list below) who ordered a Tele® replacement neck of all things! These people order off the website and pay full price for their parts just like anyone else.

As far as famous players who have ordered and use Warmoth parts....there are tons and tons. Off the top of my heard, EVH, Nuno, Billy Gibbons, Joe Walsh, Arlen Roth, Chris Shifflet, Dweezil Zappa, Joe Perry, Maddie Rice, Paul Crook, Rivers Cuomo, Scotti Hill, Vivian Campbell, Eric Wilson, Steve Von Til, Billy Sheehan, Clark Vogeler, Matt Sharp, etc.

Here's a few pics, just for fun:

Dweezil_Zappa_2.jpg

Joe Perry.jpg

Joe Walsh.jpg

big_maddie-rice.jpg

download.jpg

While it's not EXACTLY Warmoth, it's Warmoth-adjacent: Satriani used a Boogie Boy Strat with two different pickguards (one humbucker, one single coils) to record rhythm guitar on Surfing with the Alien and Flying in a Blue Dream.

While it's not EXACTLY Warmoth, it's Warmoth-adjacent: Satriani used a Boogie Boy Strat with two different pickguards (one humbucker, one single coils) to record rhythm guitar on Surfing with the Alien and Flying in a Blue Dream.

Whoa! I did not know that. Any pics or source? I will add them to the archives.

Do you mean "Boogie Body"

Where he couldn’t afford more instruments, Joe also took some more innovative approaches to tone-seeking, using his so-called Boogie Body Strat.

“I also had a guitar that I had put together from parts. It was a Boogie Body Strat body made out of hard-rock maple. It was an ESP neck that was ’59 vintage style, 7.5 radius, ebony fretboard neck.

“I worked at a vintage guitar store and the owner had ties with a lot of Japanese manufacturers and US manufacturers that were beginning to pop up. So I was ordering parts and screwing them together and contacting local luthiers to finish and do frets and things, and I had put together two guitars, a red one and a black one. The red one I eventually sold, but the black one is the guitar that I wound up using a lot.

“It was a hardtail, so if I didn’t need the whammy bar I’d use that guitar: clean, funky, bluesy. I still have that guitar today. It’s on every record doing something. It’s an odd-sounding guitar because of the wood, and what I did was I had Gary Brawer make me two or three different pickguards that were preloaded with different kinds of pickups.

“So for the ‘humbuckers in the Strat body’ sound I had a black pickguard with two Seymour Duncan pickups in it. It was a ’59 in the neck and a JB in the bridge, and I would screw that one in when I needed that kind of a sound, and then when I needed to do really Stratty kind of sounds, I would tell John Cuniberti to take a break, I’d take the strings off, unscrew the pickguard, put in a new pickguard with the Strat pickups, screw it and string it up, and then do that part. That’s basically because I couldn’t afford to have all these different guitars; I just had three guitars and a bunch of pickguards. The poor man’s guitar arsenal!”

Where he couldn’t afford more instruments, Joe also took some more innovative approaches to tone-seeking, using his so-called Boogie Body Strat.

“I also had a guitar that I had put together from parts. It was a Boogie Body Strat body made out of hard-rock maple. It was an ESP neck that was ’59 vintage style, 7.5 radius, ebony fretboard neck.

“I worked at a vintage guitar store and the owner had ties with a lot of Japanese manufacturers and US manufacturers that were beginning to pop up. So I was ordering parts and screwing them together and contacting local luthiers to finish and do frets and things, and I had put together two guitars, a red one and a black one. The red one I eventually sold, but the black one is the guitar that I wound up using a lot.

“It was a hardtail, so if I didn’t need the whammy bar I’d use that guitar: clean, funky, bluesy. I still have that guitar today. It’s on every record doing something. It’s an odd-sounding guitar because of the wood, and what I did was I had Gary Brawer make me two or three different pickguards that were preloaded with different kinds of pickups.

“So for the ‘humbuckers in the Strat body’ sound I had a black pickguard with two Seymour Duncan pickups in it. It was a ’59 in the neck and a JB in the bridge, and I would screw that one in when I needed that kind of a sound, and then when I needed to do really Stratty kind of sounds, I would tell John Cuniberti to take a break, I’d take the strings off, unscrew the pickguard, put in a new pickguard with the Strat pickups, screw it and string it up, and then do that part. That’s basically because I couldn’t afford to have all these different guitars; I just had three guitars and a bunch of pickguards. The poor man’s guitar arsenal!”

Thanks for that. Sounds like it was a BB body with an ESP neck.

FYI for anyone who may now know, Boogie Bodies was the predecessor of Warmoth, where Ken Warmoth worked and developed his chops before starting Warmoth.

He has decried the crappiness of the strat he used on Surfin' in a number of interviews - would it be THAT Strat?

Believe it or not, the first one has the name Dweezil. It's not a very common name in North America, the next one has the prosaic name: Joe (Perry), which is the same first name as the third one, also named Joe, he's Joe Walsh, next one according to the file name is Maddie and the last one I don't know.

I've actually seen Maddie on snl and didn't know it. According to the interwebs she's on an american TV show, that airs on Saturday nights. They tell topical jokes and skits. I met one of her predecessors on the subway, a guy named Smith. He had his tele and he was reading some music.
Me: Getting ready for Saturday?.
Him: yep.
Me: Good luck.
Him; Thanks.
Then I opened up my newspaper.

Back