Finally verified: Nuno played a Warmoth

aarontunes

Somewhere in the middle of nowhere.
Staff member
I've always been about 90% sure that the guitar Nuno is holding on the cover of their first album was a Warmoth:

Extreme%2B-%2BExtreme%2B%25281989%2529%2Bfront%2Bback%2Balbum%2Bcover.jpg

But I just saw this video (4 minute-mark) and it's confirmed from the man himself. (Or close enough to confirmed for me.)

I have to watch the vid again, as I missed that detail. Anyway, awesome that one of the greatest has a Warmoth guitar!

Last edited:
Apart from the interview, did anyone notice on that album cover it looks like the zip of the leather jacket behind Nuno, is growing out of the top of the Floyd locking nut?

Apart from the interview, did anyone notice on that album cover it looks like the zip of the leather jacket behind Nuno, is growing out of the top of the Floyd locking nut?
looks like the guy in yellow has a leg growing out of his chest too lol

Nuno seems chill, I mean, I'd smoke a bowl of corn flakes with him, but I do think the heel on his Washburn is real dumb, but u can't argue with his mad skills

The heel on the Washburn is a Stephens extended cutaway, which was introduced in 1987 by Washburn on guitars up to 36 frets to give good access to the upper frets. This was before the Nuno model.

Well in practice the Stephen's cutaway was actually really cool as you didn't need to change your hand position while playing up high. Seemed very stable too. The actual models Nuno played were made by Stephen's Stringed instruments on Eastlake in Seattle. They also made Tele styles and Strat styles with the cutaway. I used to go there to have work done on guitars. John Saba was a great builder/ luthier. He refretted my 1982 Smith strat with 6100's and did a great job! He may still build instruments and do repairs at Dusty Strings in Fremont.

I would have bought one of their Tele styles if I could afford one at the time. They made a strat style for Robert Cray too.

I talked to a friend who is a huge Extreme/Nuno fan and a has had subscriptions of various guitar magazines for ages. He told me that he's known since 1993 that Nuno has been playing Warmoths as he supposedly mentioned it in numerous interviews. Apparently the prototype for the N4 was a Warmoth, too.

Well in practice the Stephen's cutaway was actually really cool as you didn't need to change your hand position while playing up high. Seemed very stable too. The actual models Nuno played were made by Stephen's Stringed instruments on Eastlake in Seattle. They also made Tele styles and Strat styles with the cutaway. I used to go there to have work done on guitars. John Saba was a great builder/ luthier. He refretted my 1982 Smith strat with 6100's and did a great job! He may still build instruments and do repairs at Dusty Strings in Fremont.

Yep, I remember seeing the Stephen's Cutaway there many times, years before Nuno hit the scene.

Honestly, I don't know why Warmoth isn't used by many more famous guitar players. You can't get better quality anywhere.
Obviously the guitars need to be assembled by someone with the proper skills.

Back