Warmoth #2 - Purple Strat NEW PICS WITH NECK!!!

Unwound G said:
I think you should name it after your grandfather.  What a gracious man he is.

Mr. Unwound has a very good point...
Grandpa made this axe possible and he obviously demonstrates great love for you by making your wishes come true.
You owe this naming to honor grandpa...
Grandpa's rock :headbang1:

He's a WWII vet, I would feel weird naming a purple and magenta guitar after him.  I think he would be like "Why did you put my name on the girly one?".  When I build my steam punk mahogany Tele, that would make more sense.  Actually, he's a pilot, so I was thinking when I eventually get to that Tele, I might put some antique airplane parts in it.  That would be a much more fitting guitar to put his name on, and I'm sure he'll help me out with that one as well.  He donated a bit to the Les Paul fund as a Christmas gift when I built that one as well. 

Either that or when I build a tube amp, I'll do something with that.  He's an electrical engineer, so he would actually probably be much more interested in that type of project. 

hannaugh said:
Actually, he's a pilot

COMPLETELY off topic, but did he fly during the war? my grandfather was a waist gunner in a B-24. i've always been fascinated by WWII history and especially the air force because of him.

anyway, a little more on topic; that thing is coming together pretty nicely  :icon_thumright:  love that canary neck!

Congrats on the neck!  Warmoth really sent your an outstanding plank-o-wood - I'd call it purrrfect for that body 
wolla.gif

That is an excellent neck, the guitar and neck look made for each other, definantly a beautifull guitar, and certainly one of the more "asthetically pleasing" guitars on the site, Great Job!!!  :icon_thumright:

JaySwear said:
hannaugh said:
Actually, he's a pilot

COMPLETELY off topic, but did he fly during the war? my grandfather was a waist gunner in a B-24. i've always been fascinated by WWII history and especially the air force because of him.

anyway, a little more on topic; that thing is coming together pretty nicely  :icon_thumright:  love that canary neck!

Yeah, he was a B-29 commander.  He wrote a book about his experiences which you can get here: http://www.booksamillion.com/product/9781425780388 
Jimmy Stewart actually is the one who taught him to fly.  After the war, he went to school and became an electrical engineer/rocket scientist (worked on various missile guidance systems) and then later got back into flying and was a flight instructor for 20 something years.  My mom and I take him to the Fullerton airport for lunch every Monday because there is a big group of older pilots (several of them are also veterans) that has lunch there that day, so he gets to have fun hanging out with them.  I'm sure when it comes time for me to find parts for that guitar, I can find some antique airplane stuff by asking that crowd. 

Anywho, thanks for all the comments!  This axe is going to be fantastic when it's done!

That's a great-looking guitar. But I must admit that my ears (err, eyes?) really perked up when I read "steam punk mahogany Tele."

hannaugh said:
When I build my steam punk mahogany Tele, that would make more sense.  Actually, he's a pilot, so I was thinking when I eventually get to that Tele, I might put some antique airplane parts in it.  That would be a much more fitting guitar to put his name on, and I'm sure he'll help me out with that one as well.

Like these? I'm a huge steampunk fan.

steampunk_guitar_1.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_vv5SDGCiuso/SKGdBFJRFwI/AAAAAAAAA2U/K9Lz7BzdnLg/s1600-h/nautilusGuitar.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_vv5SDGCiuso/SKGdBLW1cuI/AAAAAAAAA2M/z9HvRl80wrc/s1600-h/Guitar_Steampunk_Small.jpg

The Tele is still being formed in my mind.  It's not goign to be quite as extreme as that V, but it is going to be old school.  That's why I was asking about brass and copper parts a while back. 

hannaugh said:
The Tele is still being formed in my mind.  It's not goign to be quite as extreme as that V, but it is going to be old school.  That's why I was asking about brass and copper parts a while back. 

This guy can be a little expensive, but he does brass Tele parts with just a thin coating of some sealer on it to keep them purdy..

Taipantone.com

hannaugh said:
JaySwear said:
hannaugh said:
Actually, he's a pilot

Yeah, he was a B-29 commander.  He wrote a book about his experiences which you can get here: http://www.booksamillion.com/product/9781425780388 
Jimmy Stewart actually is the one who taught him to fly.  After the war, he went to school and became an electrical engineer/rocket scientist (worked on various missile guidance systems) and then later got back into flying and was a flight instructor for 20 something years.  My mom and I take him to the Fullerton airport for lunch every Monday because there is a big group of older pilots (several of them are also veterans) that has lunch there that day, so he gets to have fun hanging out with them.  I'm sure when it comes time for me to find parts for that guitar, I can find some antique airplane stuff by asking that crowd. 

Anywho, thanks for all the comments!  This axe is going to be fantastic when it's done!

Wow...
That is a really cool story about your grandpa.  Sounds like a cool cat. 
My dad was in the airplane industry and retired from Boeing many years ago.
He is a volunteer for a club that is rebuilding a B-29.  The plane is at the Boeing plant in Kansas.
Boeing supplies a lot of the parts and the volunteer club supply all the labor and knowledge.
It is one of the last remaining B-29's around... 
I know he woud love to have lunch with your grandpa.  He could go on for hours and hours about aircrafts.

Black Dog said:
hannaugh said:
JaySwear said:
hannaugh said:
Actually, he's a pilot

Wow...
That is a really cool story about your grandpa.  Sounds like a cool cat. 
My dad was in the airplane industry and retired from Boeing many years ago.
He is a volunteer for a club that is rebuilding a B-29.  The plane is at the Boeing plant in Kansas.
Boeing supplies a lot of the parts and the volunteer club supply all the labor and knowledge.
It is one of the last remaining B-29's around... 
I know he woud love to have lunch with your grandpa.  He could go on for hours and hours about aircrafts.

I'm sure they would!

Just ordered the extra hardware I need so I can work on it whilst TroubledTreble works on the pups.  Yay tuners!

hannaugh said:
Just ordered the extra hardware I need so I can work on it whilst TroubledTreble works on the pups.  Yay tuners!

You're gonna LOVE those pickups.  I'm excited for you.

-Mark

The extra parts arrived yesterday, didn't get to it yet because I worked late last night, but this weekend is a possibility.  It's gonna be tough though because I now have no days off at all for a while until my boss hires an extra person because someone quit. 

I have to say, I'm already impressed with the feel of this neck.  It's so smooth and luxurious! 

Back