Want to change from Wilkinson VS-100 to Schaller Vintage 3801 tremolo sytstem.

sergejk

Hi there guys!
Is tremolo cavity (which is used on WILKINSON VS-100 tremolo) "compatible" with Schaller Vintage 3801 tremolo ?

If not ... is there any info about bridge route cavity dimensions for installing  Schaller Vintage 3801 tremolo ?

Thanks guys!
Brgds,
S.

This would be completely incompatible. Despite the name a Schaller Vintage Tremolo will retrofit a Floyd Rose type of mounting or rout.

The dimensions of Schaller Vintage Tremolos can be found here.

https://schaller.info/en/tremolos/349/vintage-tremolo

I guess you meant tremolo cavity rather than pickup cavity.

stratamania said:
This would be completely incompatible. Despite the name a Schaller Vintage Tremolo will retrofit a Floyd Rose type of mounting or rout.

Yes i corrected to "tremolo cavity" :) Thanks!
Sorry to ask but where did you find that this Schaller will retrofit only a Floyd Rose type of mounting or rout ?

Thanks!
S.

sergejk said:
stratamania said:

Yes i corrected to "tremolo cavity" :) Thanks!
Sorry to ask but where did you find that this Schaller will retrofit only a Floyd Rose type of mounting or rout ?

Thanks!
S.

I provided a link to the tremolo in question and the diagrams show that the dimensions are the same as those required by a Floyd Rose, plus its just part of my general knowledge of guitar bridges etc. so you will have to trust that I am providing you like many others with reliable information or verify the dimensions yourself. A Wilkinson rout is totally different even when you compare the distance centre between mounting posts for example.

Not to argue with the venerable Stratamania, but more just to head off any pedants...

The actual cavity route is not that different - my understanding is that the rear part of the Warmoth's routing for all the trems that use springs in the back is exactly the same; it's just the 'lip' at the front that varies. Modifying a Wilkinson routed body to accept a Floyd (or, therefore, the Schaller 'Vintage') would be a relatively easy job.

But... the holes for the studs are in different locations, so if they're already drilled, you would need to plug them and drill new holes. Not such an easy job - especially if you want it to look ok.

Useful info here.

I've re-filled stud holes with extra wood and re-painted whole Warmoth strat body. I need info only on bridge cavity measurements. It seems that the cavity only needed an extra 1mm chisel space on the tremolo bar side. I have then re-fitted new position of the stud holes and it seems ok now.

Thanks guys!
Brgds,
S.

So does anyone knows which tremolo cavity from attached picture should be chosen to fit this Schaller Vintage tremolo (Floyd Rose Style Tremolo) ?!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-09-02 081516.png
    Screenshot 2021-09-02 081516.png
    300.5 KB · Views: 135
Perhaps there has been some misunderstanding of what is being asked due to language differences.

The back cavity is of the same dimensions. It is indeed the stud or screw mounting and openings that is the main difference between the tremolo routings rather than the back cavity.

If you ordered the Tremolo Back cavity only and drilled for the studs etc yourself that is an option. Or Floyd with an angled pocket, or Schaller Floyd recessed but with that you would end up with a recess for where the fine tuners would go and you might not want that.

stratamania said:
Perhaps there has been some misunderstanding of what is being asked due to language differences.

The back cavity is of the same dimensions. It is indeed the stud or screw mounting and openings that is the main difference between the tremolo routings rather than the back cavity.

If you ordered the Tremolo Back cavity only and drilled for the studs etc yourself that is an option. Or Floyd with an angled pocket, or Schaller Floyd recessed but with that you would end up with a recess for where the fine tuners would go and you might not want that.

Exactly my point ... there is no option to choose "Floyd with angled pocket" :(

sergejk said:
stratamania said:

Exactly my point ... there is no option to choose "Floyd with angled pocket" :(

That option is available with build to order bodies and should be I believe also with unfinished bodies. It may be the option has been missed on the new website or it is now only build to order. If you contact Warmoth sales they should be able to confirm.

Back