Wilkinson VS100 posts question

Voodoods

Hi everyone! I’m working on my first Warmoth project. I’ve tried to find the answers to this question but it’s probably so fundamental that everybody knows it except for me lol

What I have is a strat project and I have a Wilkinson VS 100 bridge. I’m just not sure whether I’m supposed to screw in those two posts all the way or am I supposed to raise them to raise the bridge up to a proper height, and then adjust the saddles. Frankly I’m used to a vintage six screw style bridge so I’m kind of at a loss.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 6E02937A-A684-42EA-971A-F7897C054BFD.jpeg
    6E02937A-A684-42EA-971A-F7897C054BFD.jpeg
    70.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 3FA9E5B8-BC4D-481E-8F81-5D1879E97B72.jpeg
    3FA9E5B8-BC4D-481E-8F81-5D1879E97B72.jpeg
    114.5 KB · Views: 16
  • B805E44D-AE4D-4AB9-BE60-09BD7AD92342.jpeg
    B805E44D-AE4D-4AB9-BE60-09BD7AD92342.jpeg
    117.6 KB · Views: 15
The posts are used to adjust the overall height of the bridge so they will not need to be screwed in all the way. The saddles are used for finer per string adjustments.

There are also two smaller internal set screw mechanisms that are used once the height is adjusted to "lock" them in position. The smaller allen key is used for that. Those are the black parts but should not be overtightened as it could cause the post to push out the bushing if overdone.

wt1c-h_1.jpg

Last edited:
Are you talking about the main pivot studs for the whole bridge?

If yes, then - yes! You screw those in so that channel around the stud is at the height that you want the front edge of your bridge to be.

Are you talking about the main pivot studs for the whole bridge?

If yes, then - yes! You screw those in so that channel around the stud is at the height that you want the front edge of your bridge to be.

He is but he is asking if they should be completely screwed in (all the way). They only need to be screwed in and adjusted for the height the bridge needs to be as you mentioned.

Yes, you and I were posting roughly simultaneously, and I see yours is a superior answer. Much more comprehensive and includes useful details about the internal screw to "lock" the stud at its desired height.

Yes, you and I were posting roughly simultaneously, and I see yours is a superior answer. Much more comprehensive and includes useful details about the internal screw to "lock" the stud at its desired height.

All good, just posted the clarification in case it was needed.

Hi everyone! I’m working on my first Warmoth project. I’ve tried to find the answers to this question but it’s probably so fundamental that everybody knows it except for me lol

What I have is a strat project and I have a Wilkinson VS 100 bridge. I’m just not sure whether I’m supposed to screw in those two posts all the way or am I supposed to raise them to raise the bridge up to a proper height, and then adjust the saddles. Frankly I’m used to a vintage six screw style bridge so I’m kind of at a loss.

Thanks in advance.
The Wilkinson vs100 tremolo can do the flutter effect that a real Floyd rose tremolo does. To do the flutter effect on a Wilkinson vs100 you will either want the tremolo floating far enough away from the body so that the tremolo does not hit the body when you flutter the tremolo or you have a semi recessed Wilkinson tremolo rout. Once you have the tremolo far enough away from the body so you can do the flutter effect then you can adjust the string height with the saddles.

Do the post locations retrofit the existing low E and High E locations of the mounting posts of a 6 hole vibrato, or are they uniquely a separate measurement? I've heard stories both ways, but I prefer to err to the input from my comrades here at UM. I've heard that all you have to do is center the outside two mounting holes on a 6 hole them, and install the appropriate sized drill bit to enlarge the hole for the stud mounting post's bushing. Is this true, or un-true. Similarly, can you do the same with the bridge mounting studs of a Gotoh 510 to drop into a 6-hole them by simply enlarging the stud holes to 10mm?

Put to case, I just received a Squier Strat from a neighbor who was cleaning out their garage. I've got lots of other parts laying around and figured I'd built another parts caster after many years. I hate vintage saddles under my palm, so I want to upgrade the vibrato on this one.

Last edited:
@TonyFlyingSquirrel many two point tremolos the measurements coincide with the outer holes of a six screw mount at around 55.9mm / 2.2 inches.

The Gotoh 510 and American standard trem posts conform to those measurements, the Wilkinson VS100 does not as the posts are not as far apart.

Also, might be an idea to plug the holes and then drill to avoid the bit wandering when enlarging. The exact size drill may vary depending on the posts, but can easily be tested in some scrap.

Nice to know the distinction between the two. Looks like the 510 for me. I have a jig to mount the body to, then load that jig on top of the milling vice that sits under my drill press. Drifting of the bit or chuck shouldn't be an issue.

What does a “properly” setup, floating, non-recessed VS100 look like from the side? Is the bridge parallel to the body but floating off the body by a few mm or is it angled to the body like a 6 screw looks?

What does a “properly” setup, floating, non-recessed VS100 look like from the side? Is the bridge parallel to the body but floating off the body by a few mm or is it angled to the body like a 6 screw looks?

It depends on how it is set up but I would aim for parallel or close to that.

Back