VIP build - Dragon's breath glow

docteurseb

For once, I'll see if I can make a build in progress of my current project.

This one will be a VIP, I spec'd it end of January and received it earlier this week so construction time was pretty quick.
Attached is a picture of it along with Warmoth's pic of the top (wet).

The body is hollow, and weighs 4lbs 5oz.
The body has been sent for finishing, it'll be a "laguna dragon burst" which is seen on some PRS guitars.

I'll have a mahogany rear cover made for it. One of the rear cover holes was misaligned, I filled it up with mahogany and re-drilled.

I haven't spec'd the neck yet but it'll either be a Vortex or Warmoth shape with 24-3/4" conversion scale. I'm leaning towards ebony fingerboard+veneer, with the back being wenge, rosewood, or ziricote (from densest to lightest, and cheapest to most expensive...).

Update: the finish will now be a "glow" effect in dark red/orange/yellow color scheme. I like it better than the laguna one, but mostly it appears to be way easier to pull off that color scheme.

Attachments

• DSCF0736.JPG
    DSCF0736.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 94
  • LT2581a.jpg
    LT2581a.jpg
    416.7 KB · Views: 45
docteurseb said:
The body has been sent for finishing, it'll be a "laguna dragon burst" which is seen on some PRS guitars. I'll have a mahogany rear cover made for it. One of the rear cover holes was misaligned, I filled it up with mahogany and re-drilled.

Nice body! Who have you found who can do that kind of finish work? I've always been fond of PRS' "glow" finishes and if someone can do those, man that would be a tempting build...

assollc04uvsl0xkyto8.jpg

Pat Wilkins (http://www.wilkinsguitars.com) and Kip Elder @ Starr Guitars ( https://starrguitars.com ) are the two I contacted, and both were willing to take on the challenge.
The finishing cost isn't cheap for a dragon burst effect, I imagine the glow effect to be the same cost (I think it's the same finishing technique).

I'm also open to suggestions for adding inlays to an already built neck (fingerboard+headstock).

Black Ebony fretboard? With a dragonburst over curly body? I wouldn't put any inlays on the fretboard. Side dots only. And your name inlaid on the headstock.

docteurseb said:
Pat Wilkins (http://www.wilkinsguitars.com) and Kip Elder @ Starr Guitars ( https://starrguitars.com ) are the two I contacted, and both were willing to take on the challenge.
The finishing cost isn't cheap for a dragon burst effect, I imagine the glow effect to be the same cost (I think it's the same finishing technique).
Starr Guitars is just 10 min from me. Stopped by one time and they were quite nice. 

docteurseb said:

Perfect, thanks!

Cagey said:
Black Ebony fretboard? With a dragonburst over curly body? I wouldn't put any inlays on the fretboard. Side dots only. And your name inlaid on the headstock.

No inlays for now is definitely the most tempting option.
I just saw couple videos doing inlays using metallic paint+epoxy or crushed stone+glue. That looks quite good and *seems* easy. The usual caveat applies: I'm sure it won't be as easy as it looks once I try it myself on scrap wood !

Some small updates on this build:
- we're changing the finish to a Dragon's breath glow effect. So dark red/orange/yellow color scheme with a glow pattern. I preferred that slightly over the laguna (it may also be easier for resale if it comes to that), but also those colors are much easier to nail than the the laguna finish.
- got pics of the mahogany cover plate made for it.
- still haven't spec'd a neck, I'll wait to see how the body turns out first. But ebony fingerboard/headstock veneer is still the primary choice, with maybe RW for the back.

can you photo / may be better video how they have done the finish? as I have an unfinished VIP like this, haven't decided what to do with it yet.

You can see how PRS does the glow effect for the dragon breath finish here:
    https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/private-stock-friday.2297/page-100

Alright, the body is almost finished!
Attached are couple pics (courtesy of @starrguitars ) after the staining process and with some clear coat applied.

Looks great, I can proceed spec'ing a neck !

As Cagey suggested I'll go with ebony fingerboard+veneer without inlays.
I need to check if Warmoth has matching dark veneers to go with a black fingerboard, if not I could either stain it black or go with Macassar ebony all the way.

The back wood is not decided yet.
It's my first VIP build so I have no idea how well these bodies balance. Being 4lbs 5oz unfinished, it may be closer to 4lbs 9oz once clear coated.
If I spec a heavy neck I'd probably have to use vintage style tuners (SD90 locking) or it'll turn neck heavy.

The few options I have in mind are:
  1) Flame maple + DIY red to yellow fade (very PRS-ish). This probably wouldn't end well, I'll give it a shot on veneers this week-end if I have time and report back.

2) Rosewood.

3) Roasted maple, I never tried one before and imagine the feel to be similar to ebony. Cosmetically it should look proper on that build with the mahogany body.

Attachments

• stained.png
    stained.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 57
  • clearcoat.png
    clearcoat.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 85
The last VIP I put together I used an Ebony over Bloodwood neck, which up until a month or so ago was the heaviest neck I'd ever handled at 2lbs even, and there was no neck dive even with Schaller lockers on it. The VIP design would be very difficult to overbalance.

That's really beautiful. It reminds me of the hand-rubbed sunburst finishes Gibson used to do. Only better.

march92018-16-621x372.jpg

Cagey said:
The last VIP I put together I used an Ebony over Bloodwood neck, which up until a month or so ago was the heaviest neck I'd ever handled at 2lbs even, and there was no neck dive even with Schaller lockers on it. The VIP design would be very difficult to overbalance.

Great to know ! Sounds like it behaves more like a Strat than a LP balance-wise.

Very much so. There's actually not a whole lot of dimensional difference between them. The Soloist is the same way. If you just glanced at them sitting in stands, you'd easily confuse them. Gibsons, on the other hand, have a long history of imbalance.

Cagey said:
... Gibsons, on the other hand, have a long history of imbalance.

That's why I was concerned, I haven't had luck with my LP purchases so far.
If it's > 8.5lbs with vintage tuners, chances are it'll be butt-heavy when sitting but perfectly balanced with a strap.
If it's <8lbs with locking tuners, the odds are high it'll already be neck diving a bit with strap.

I still want one with their 60s V2 profile neck (best feeling neck ever for my hand), but good luck finding one with decently figured top, lightweight (<8lbs), and well-balanced.
The only way would be going the custom shop route spec'ing a chambered body or lightweight solid body (even that is no guarantee of final weight) and that easily puts you in the $5k-6k range  after discounts...
For now it'll be the VIP ;-)

I'd hate to appear stupid, but please could someone explain to me the difference between the 'glow' finish and a burst? Am I missing some subtle but fundamental nuance somewhere?  ???

Back