VIP build - Dragon's breath glow

Body is on its way and I should get it Friday. In the meantime I just saw a picture of it under sunlight (attached below) and it's as good as I was hoping for !

Attachments

• VIP_sunlight.png
    VIP_sunlight.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 87
GalaxyQuest1.gif

The VIP is likely using a larger 1/2" switch hole ?
I was thinking about using a 5-way rotary switch but that wouldn't work well with a 1/2" diameter:
https://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_Electronics/Components_and_Parts/Switches/Rotary_Switches.html

On the other hand I just found this one and that's rather intriguing, it seems like it'd fit perfectly and provide all the tones I'd want from a HH body:
https://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_Electronics/Components_and_Parts/Switches/Free-Way_Pickup_Switch.html

Got the body all in one piece! It's going to be an interesting build :)

Are LP-style mounting rings (curved bottom, tapered top, short neck+tall bridge) the 'recommended' choice for a VIP ?

I was planning to use a spare set of plastic PRS rings (flat bottom, flat top, height in-between the short neck and tall bridge of Les Paul rings), and while those bend easily to follow the top's curvature it may look a little weird once the pickups are installed.
I swear some used this type of rings in the VIP section but they don't seem to be curved at all, is it possible that the older VIP bodies had a flat top around the humbucker cavities, but the newer bodies are curved ?

If you put a straightedge across the pickup cavities in both directions, I think you'll find that the top is flat in that area. So, no curved/relieved mounting rings.

Cagey said:
If you put a straightedge across the pickup cavities in both directions, I think you'll find that the top is flat in that area. So, no curved/relieved mounting rings.

Thanks Cagey, it is quite flat indeed along the length of the body.
In the other direction, it looks much flatter than a LP but I'd be concerned using wood or metal rings (at least the ones that are thicker than couple mm) as they may not bend easily enough ?

Attachments

• vip_top.jpg
    vip_top.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 222
I've never had a problem, and I use the metal rings more often than not.

I did get most of the HW so far in cosmo black (pic).

Tuners Gotoh SG301 tuners coming soon, I want to check the fit on another neck (to be sure the Schaller tuner holes are the proper choice for this) before I proceed with spec'ing the neck for that VIP.

Attachments

• CosmoBlack.jpg
    CosmoBlack.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 30
Ordered the neck couple days ago, it'll be wenge + ebony fingerboard/veneer, no inlays, and 59 profile.

The neck is on its way and should be here tomorrow!
Now the pressure is ON to finish my part selection... mostly the wiring, pickups and pickup covers (I want cosmo black/smoked chrome).
I have a set of Gibson Burstbucker 2&3 pickups (somehow I like those) but I'm hesitant replacing the chrome covers on them. I may be better off finding used ones without covers...

Super nice choices so far, and that finish is amazing. I really like the choice of Cosmo Black too. I"ve been contemplating a build with it for a bit now but can't decide which color to go over for the body.

Looking forward to seeing it finished.

The only thing is it can be a pain to find all parts in that finish.
For example good luck finding Gotoh vintage inline tuners or a vintage-style bridge (found some via eBay that need to be ordered from Japan or Australia...)

docteurseb said:
The only thing is it can be a pain to find all parts in that finish.
For example good luck finding Gotoh vintage inline tuners or a vintage-style bridge (found some via eBay that need to be ordered from Japan or Australia...)
Anything Gotoh makes, in any available finish:
http://www.japarts.ca/
Based in Canada, only North American Gotoh factory dealer.  :glasses9:

Thanks a LOT for the link!
I knew any Gotoh part was technically available in CK, the issue was finding a store to order those. This website is perfect.

Attached are a few pictures of the neck, it's a gonna be a fun week-end rolling those fingerboard edges...

Attachments

• wenge_ebony_neck.JPG
    wenge_ebony_neck.JPG
    633.1 KB · Views: 29
I finally got to roll the fingerboard edges, now I can move on to more exciting things !

Attachments

• IMG_3433.JPG
    IMG_3433.JPG
    492.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3432.JPG
    IMG_3432.JPG
    449.6 KB · Views: 23
Back