VIP build - Dragon's breath glow

docteurseb said:
Cagey said:
Rgand said:
Thanks for those links, Kevin. I needed both and ordered them.

I think you'll be pleased with the results. Just be sure to turn your Dremel motor's speed down as low as it'll go, or you run the risk of overheating things.

I used the Dremel too (with the mini buffing wheel/disc) and had good results in the past, it's just that this time I may have rushed a little too much when using the fine sandpaper (not going high enough grit maybe) prior to polishing the frets.

I had a similar experience when I did SS for the first time. I had gone to 12000 grit micromesh and polished also with a dremel. It was earlier skipped grits. You can read about it at the link below if you want.

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=22445.msg338072#msg338072

I use a file like that too, it's just that this time I either started at too high of a grit or skipped a few intermediate grits I shouldn't have.
I did see micro scratches under bright light. With regular frets those would go away after a few bends, not so much with SS frets...

docteurseb said:
I use a file like that too, it's just that this time I either started at too high of a grit or skipped a few intermediate grits I shouldn't have.
I did see micro scratches under bright light. With regular frets those would go away after a few bends, not so much with SS frets...

That certainly matches what I found. The good thing is once the SS is done they won't wear like normal frets and stay in good shape...

I finally got to try to cut my own back plate with a router and experiment with stains.

Cause if you're going to make a PRS look alike, you may as well go for the gaudy look 100% with a matching back plate.

This one didn't go too well. I went too fast around the corner and chipped the wood with the router. I'm using it for practice to see what else will go wrong (it's about 3x as thick as the cover needs to be so I plan to use the router to make it the proper thickness around the edges).

Attachments

• IMG_4030.JPG
    IMG_4030.JPG
    873.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4029.jpg
    IMG_4029.jpg
    287.3 KB · Views: 26
... and some attempt at a Laguna color scheme on the other side (somehow the picture is a lot less saturated when viewed in a web browser).
I don't take credit for the mix ratios, I was given hints by one of those dye manufacturers and they turned out to be spot one.

Attachments

• IMG_4036.JPG
    IMG_4036.JPG
    346.8 KB · Views: 22
Still working on this one !
I built a new back plate in December, and got several sets of curly flame buttons last week.
Stained both and have had a few issues finding a suitable finish...

For the back plate I tried two types of Krylon acrylic paint that were UV resistant and they both took an awful time to harden (I should have read the reviews). The last attempt seems to be better though, at least I don't see my fingerprints anymore when touching it. I may not be patient enough too, so that usually doesn't go well with finishes like that.

For the buttons I tried Minwax polycrylic spray which sprays so thickly you end up over-spraying to get a smooth layer, thus it doesn't dry very well either.
Redid them with Minwax Wipe On Poly and that seems to be going well enough.

Once everything is ready I'll re-shoot pics and post in the "completed" section.

Attachments

• IMG_4841.jpg
    IMG_4841.jpg
    377.1 KB · Views: 24
I really like the way you carry the coloring into the buttons as well. Darn nice looking.

Thanks!
I take no credit for this ;-) It's being done on many PRS Private Stock model and I think it'll go well on this build (the neck and tuners being so dark).

Back cover: I gave up on acrylic spray cans, I stripped and stained it again. A local body shop put several coats of poly, next steps are to sand it flat and bring it back for a final clear coat.

I hope that will be the end of it!

Had a bit of scare installing the wood buttons: the screws wouldn't reach the shaft anymore even though they did prior to staining/finishing. :icon_scratch:

Removed couple washers, tightened the screws and that was just enough to compress the wood/finish to put all the washers back.

Weird. :dontknow:

The finish is so thin it shouldn't have interfered (wipe on poly).
Maybe the grain raised ever so slightly while staining, I used denatured alcohol though.
I'll keep this in mind for my soloist build which will use identical wood buttons.

Anyhow, here it is:
vipbuttons.jpg

The backplate should be ready tomorrow so expect updated/final pics of the complete guitar this week-end (weather permitting) !

The stain could have perhaps added moisture to the buttons causing the wood to expand causing the difference in fit.

I call that one done.

Attached are the updated pics with the dyed curly maple buttons & back cover. I'll post it in the completed builds soon.

Attachments

• VIP_V2_7.jpg
    VIP_V2_7.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
  • VIP_V2_6.jpg
    VIP_V2_6.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • VIP_V2_5.jpg
    VIP_V2_5.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
  • VIP_V2_4.jpg
    VIP_V2_4.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
  • VIP_V2_3.jpg
    VIP_V2_3.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 21
  • VIP_V2_2.jpg
    VIP_V2_2.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 23
  • VIP_V2_1.jpg
    VIP_V2_1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 29
  • VIP_V2_8.jpg
    VIP_V2_8.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
I'd say you have the dying process down. That's spectacular!  :icon_thumright:

That is absolutely gorgeous! Colorful, yet entirely tasteful. Bravo Sir, a stunning result.  :icon_thumright:

(I'm also extremely thankful that you applied the finish, so my current build doesn't  have to compete with it!)  :icon_jokercolor:

That is truly a tremendous piece of work.  The color-keyed tuner buttons just knock me out, but even without them, it would be a head-turner.  I hope you get many years of love with that axe.  The world won't see its like anywhere else.  Thanks for sharing your journey with us.

BigSteve22 said:
That is absolutely gorgeous! Colorful, yet entirely tasteful. Bravo Sir, a stunning result.  :icon_thumright:

(I'm also extremely thankful that you applied the finish, so my current build doesn't  have to compete with it!)  :icon_jokercolor:

Thanks !

Well it's only partially stained/finished by me ;-)
Body: stained and finished by a pro finish shop
Tuner buttons: stained and finished myself with wipe-on-poly.
Back plate: built/routed and stained myself. While I tried to clear coat it myself, none of the acrylic clear spray cans I tried (3 of them) worked well. They just remained too soft and I had to strip, dye again, and have it clear coated w/ poly at a local shop.

My next build is the Soloist laguna dragon breath on the other thread, that one I'll try to stain the body and neck myself very soon. I'll have them clear coated by a pro finishing shop though.

Had to send this back to the top - such a heroic and inspiring effort.  Love how the headstock ties in with the theme of the body.

Thank you all !
I'm actually even more excited about the soloist "laguna dragon breath" build that is almost complete (sent for finishing today), since I did all the stains for the body/neck/tuner buttons/trussrod/tremolo+control back plates.

Back