VIP build - Dragon's breath glow

-VB- said:
If Sauron played guitar, he would play THAT guitar. I would definitely name it Orodruin.
Indeed......
the-eye-of-sauron_3133429b.jpg

Thank you everyone.

I'm happy to report the guitar is now complete (almost, I still have some ideas for the back cover and tuner buttons...).
It got pretty close to the one that inspired this build (PRS Private Stock from www.brianguitars.com):
DSC_7709.jpg

For the wiring I ended up with a coil split and resistor trimmers to keep the 2nd coils connected when split.
I'll need to check my wiring again, I'm either deaf or it's not connected quite right but I just can't seem to perceive a meaningful difference in tone or volume for different values. I set them to 2.7k for the neck and 3.3 for the bridge for now.

Attachments

• VIP1.jpg
    VIP1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • VIP2.jpg
    VIP2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
  • VIP3.jpg
    VIP3.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
  • VIP4.jpg
    VIP4.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
  • VIP5.jpg
    VIP5.jpg
    993 KB · Views: 2
  • VIP6.jpg
    VIP6.jpg
    978.7 KB · Views: 3
  • VIP7.jpg
    VIP7.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 4
  • VIP8.jpg
    VIP8.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
  • VIP9.jpg
    VIP9.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
Those pictures are so hot this thread should be marked “NSFW”. It’s more than just the eye-popping top and finish, the whole thing is just impeccably concieved and executed. Nice job man.

Outstanding! This looks way better than the one that inspired you. Great vision, beautiful work, amazing guitar.

Awesome guitar, who did the neck roll and fret ends, amazing work, looks very comfortable love the attention to player detail.

KOABUILD said:
Awesome guitar, who did the neck roll and fret ends, amazing work, looks very comfortable love the attention to player detail.

docteurseb did the job himself, see earlier in the thread.

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=29129.msg422734#msg422734

Thanks for the compliments !
I did spend an awful amount of time on that neck over several days, I'd say close to 6 hours.

I started doing this to my necks couple years ago after getting a Masterbuilt Clapton Strat.
The fingerboard edges were incredibly rolled and fret ends rounded, it was the best feeling and playing neck I had ever had by far. I replicated that and then sold that guitar :)

I'll have to polish the frets again as bends still have a tiny bit of friction pretty typical of stainless steel frets not perfectly polished. I did rush the polishing a little bit hoping that would be enough, that'll have to wait for the next string change though.

I've had very good luck using these little buffers in my Dremel motor...

514OExy0oKL._SL1100_.jpg

They're dirt-cheap... like $3.29/dozen. But, they're pretty consumable/disposable. Takes about 3-4 to do a neck. Still, mated with some good polishing compound, you can make short work of polishing a set of frets. I use 'em on stainless all the time. Get a mirror finish in no time flat.

Rgand said:
Thanks for those links, Kevin. I needed both and ordered them.

I think you'll be pleased with the results. Just be sure to turn your Dremel motor's speed down as low as it'll go, or you run the risk of overheating things.

Cagey said:
Rgand said:
Thanks for those links, Kevin. I needed both and ordered them.

I think you'll be pleased with the results. Just be sure to turn your Dremel motor's speed down as low as it'll go, or you run the risk of overheating things.

I used the Dremel too (with the mini buffing wheel/disc) and had good results in the past, it's just that this time I may have rushed a little too much when using the fine sandpaper (not going high enough grit maybe) prior to polishing the frets.

I use one of these diamond crowning files...
StewMac_Double-edge_Diamond_Fret_Files.jpg
...as a backer for gradually increasing grits of polishing paper to get the frets close, then do the buffer w/ compound thing last to get the shine on. It adds steps, but stainless is so hard that the compound alone won't work until the frets are pretty well shaped and cleared of all grinding scratches.

Back