VIP arrived

That's a real looker, It reminds me of a book I bought a few years ago called " The Blue Guitar " it's a book of about 30 diferent guitars, all accustic, and all blue,

Built by the top luthiers in the world at the time. They are works of art. Seems it's time for an electric version of that book, and yours would fit in well.

It's been hard to tell from most pictures I've seen, until now, how well the transition looks on a dyed headstock laminate.  Does it look as good as it does in the pictures?  This one's got me contemplating again.  Absolutely stunning VIP, BTW!

Thanks, everyone.

I know it's cheesy to say, but I think the guitar looks better in person.  The pictures don't really show the dark trans. blue back or very much of the ebony grain fretboard and mahogan neck.

To Phrygian, the transition is pretty good.  At first, just out of the box, I was a little worried, because the headstock veneer is a somewhat lighter color than the body, maybe 10% lighter.  I was worried that I would put it together and it would be a huge mismatch.  But once it's i place, the headstock is (obviously) lined up with the center of the body, where the dye is lightest, so it works out pretty well.  It's still a little lighter, but nothing I could ever imagine complaining about.  The transition between the veneer and the headstock is clean and sharp, so no worries there. 

When I ordered, I really wanted matching headstock binding, but Warmoth doesn't offer it.  After having everything, though, I wonder if that would have been a little over-the-top.  I kinda love it the way it is...

For all the wiring gurus there - this is wired 1 Vol, 1 Tone, 3-way rotary (bridge-both-neck).  I thought the rotary was going to be a problem because the switch was a little smaller than the rout made in the top.  The switch was made to be mounted to a pickguard, and obviously this guitar was routed for a standard PRS 5-way, which is a little larger with a longer shaft (save the snickers and comments).  I had the local tech, a man who I'm pretty sure is God made flesh and tucked into his own shop at Sam Ash, work on it, and that switch couldn't be more secure.

I'm going to try for a better picture and submit to the VIP gallery.

agent317, what a stunner! I bet it sounds great!...

Note to Alfang - The Blue Guitar exhibit was a brainchild of the late Scott Chinery, gazillionaire guitar collector. He gave a quart of the same lot of blue stain to a bunch of the world's best acoustic archtop guys, and had them each make an instrument. (Imagine having the bankroll to commission 20 or 30 guitars at up to $50K a pop!  :eek: ) I saw that exhibit at the Smithsonian - Unbelievable craftsmanship and art on display. The framed museum poster sits in my studio.

Back