Vic's new Tele TFG parts

-CB-

Epic Member
Got Vic's parts today.  So far everything looks about perfect, but I have some minor bitches (very minor).

One is - why do they put that sticky label across the neck at fret 14?  I take the label off, and a gooey mess remains on the fretboard.  I'm sure it will clean up with naphtha.  But if this was a maple board neck, I'd wonder how the nitro would do when shot over the places the glue was. 

The other is the body seems to have some sort of oily drips on it... on the edges at the upper bout, and a few on the side.  Looks like something might have splashed.  Again, sure it will clean up with some naphtha.

And... holes for the pickup wires would have been nice, or are these supposed to be left undone?  I don't recall having to make those holes in the past... but either my memory is shot, or maybe things have changed.

And finally... we have a diamond inlay at fret 1, but no side marker.  Not sure how its supposed to be, but all the necks I've seen that that had inlays at fret 1 also have side markers at fret 1. 

Without further complaint (minor minor complaints... just mentioned for W's feedback more than anything).

IMG_8878.jpg

IMG_8880.jpg

IMG_8881.jpg

IMG_8879.jpg

IMG_8882.jpg

Hopefully I can start the filling and dye process tomorrow, get first nitro onto it by tomorrow night or Sunday - its gettin delivered soon after Labor Day!~

This is what we're shootin' for

bft2.jpg

??? Haven't done a thinline yet, but haven't ordered anything in VIP/Strat flavors that didn't have the holes drilled from pickup routes to control cavity already???

Vic...

Guitarist extraordinaire, record producer, Tantoholic, man of the world, Drambuie provider, man of many talents, Mudwogweap founder, member of the Order of Carrier of the Major Calibre, and brother-in-the-blues. 

He does Tele.

Hey I have two questions more....

Is it ok to plug that hole in the butt of the neck?

Why is the neck mahogany always darker than the body mahogany?

And what size key does the truss rod take

Ok that was THREE questions....

-CB- said:

Because the God of neck is stronget than the God of body and, to show it to the weak, he catch the most part of the color... :laughing7:

Answers to yer Qs:

Jack=> Sure, but you MUST use one of my special Butt Plugs, $49.32, PM me your email and I'll PayPal invoice you

Jack=> You get the darker mahogany neck ONLY if you order the lighter mahogany body. If you order the darker mahogany body you will be shipped the lighter mahogany neck. Gregg's side job is mismatching all mahogany neck/body orders

And what size key does the truss rod take

Jack=> Throw away key in plastic bag shipped with neck, experiment with metric allen wrenches; after you strip hex, cut lip and use BFS.

Re: sticker glue; don't know about neck, but on lighter body expect to sand the residual glue from small circle sticker at top of neck pocket unless spraying solid color, won't take dye/stain evenly till sanded.

I'm Vic, and I've approved this message!

Lookin' GREAT, CB!~

LOVE the inlays and grain on that baby!

Man! I am stoked!

I got dem ol' Cosmic Tele/Warmoth Blues........

Key with the neck?  There was no key with the neck!  Only a bag with a fold out sheet and a Warmoth waterslide.  And that @#$@# stick on thing on the fretboard!~ <gggg>

BTW, I've discovered that a LP "shorty" toggle switch will fit in that F hole just fine, so thats a go.  It does need the deep cup retaining nut, as there is not enough thread on the switch to use a 1/4 inch thick top.  Thats pretty much the same as a LP does.  I'll go get that on sleazE-bay this weekend.  Needa get Vic's P90 too, and do the proper surgery on it so it can be whacked out of phase.... and the 4p3t rotary alpha switch as well.

-CB- said:
Hey I have two questions more....

That looks to be a vintage modern neck.  No problems plugging the hole that I have ever heard of.

Necks are dipped in an oil sealer and that can give the wood a slightly different appearance.  The sealer protects the neck during transit.

Going back to the initial post, yes, there should be wire channels going between the pickup cavities and control cavity.  Email or call in if you want to send it back to have those done.  My apologies.

Already drilled... no problemo, just wondering.

How bout that fret 1 side marker?

Yo CB-    I bet your a soduko wizzard,  Many of your answers are in puzzle format

-CB- said:
Vic...

Guitarist extraordinaire, record producer, Tantoholic, man of the world, Drambuie provider, man of many talents, Mudwogweap founder, member of the Order of Carrier of the Major Calibre, and brother-in-the-blues. 

He does Tele.

So wll attempt to unravel your puzzle:  he's agood guitar player, and producer, he's addicted to tanto, he's been everywhere, buys you alcohol, good at a lot of things, founded the Mud polywog sympathizers ass.  (probably on the mud frog board as well)  Calibre sounds like caliber in mexican, so he's a major in the armed mexican UPS or fed ex delivery service. and Finnaly he's bummed out to be your brother?

That wasn't as hard as I expected, it's all about breaking things down in to simple components  I still need to figure out what or who tanto is

HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tanto NOT Tonto................

Mudwogweap is the nickname I gave this place (about 30 years ago) where I live...
(was Mudbogweap but it's too beautiful to be a bog)

I usually always order Warmoth Pro necks, they always come with an allen wrench for the side adjuster; the one Vintage Modern I've used I got from eBay and it had one in the bag with the foldout; assumed it came with the neck, never used it.

-CB- said:
Already drilled... no problemo, just wondering.

How bout that fret 1 side marker?

I just double checked and adding a 1st fret side dot is not a standard operation, even with 1st fret inlays.  Good observation though!

Well put a bug in Kens ear...!  It SHOULD be! 

Thanks!~

I've got some nice endgrain mahogwood plugs.  Maybe I'll stick one up the back door there.

Or you could start a new thread about the relevance of what type of wood butt plug to use and how it will affect the tonal properties of the guitar.

Back