Vic's new Tele TFG parts

Here's a quick wash of the top before filling - and an equally (and incomlpete) sand off.

The idea - go black, get dark stripes, sand back quite a bit, then go blue over it.

But I took the pic to show the grain.  W did good!

IMG_8884.jpg

And after seeing this picture... yes, thats linked 7.62NATO in the background.... <ggg>

Kind of sorta... almost... in a way.. trying to replicate this:

IMG_6666.jpg

Its an imperfect finish, on an otherwise great guitar - imperfect by design, like faded old jeans

IMG_6702.jpg

IMG_6682.jpg

IMG_6727.jpg

IMG_8893.jpg

deja vu

IMG_6692.jpg

dont mind the boxes of parts... at least I got da ammo out of the pics

very cool, im planing on doing this to a swamp ash body some time in the next couple years when i start my warmoth bass,

and i was wonderin, what mad it turn green, im planing on making a blue effect, and i don't want it to change colors (other than the dark grain)

what did you do? im very interested.    :headbang1:  not as blue as this guy, i think he's choking, some one should help him.

Two strikes against dyed blue.

1.  The underlying wood is amber... amber plus blue... green.  You get a bit of a turquoise look.
2.  The dye itself - most dyes I've seen - where metallic colors are used, will separate under capillary action.  You can see this on a paper towel where you actually will get blue, green and a brownish color from blue dye.  Don't ask why, I don't know.  The result, again, turquoise.

For a real blue dye job, I'm imagining that the dye will have to be a bit purplish to come out blue.  Thats my wild (semi educated) guess.  Follow that with a transparent blue overcoat then clear.  Again total conjecture, I'm sure the guys at W will have a more precise recipe.

That said, the color is quite attractive in its own right.

so if i stain black, sand the piss out of it, and then spray trans blue it won't turn green right?

but where to get trans blue, and im not worried about spraying, my dads a journeyman painter. and he's good enough to spray cars for a living.
he doesn't, to much to screw up is what he says. 

and im sure him and i could jerry rig a paint booth, if not i can use the finish room at the high school shop.

To get transparent blue, all ya really need to do is add blue dye to lacquer.

The Mohawk blue dye can be added that way, no problemo, just test it first for strength of color (its POTENT stuff!).

FWIW, I got a drop on my finger, and it looks like I've just voted in the Iraqi election...

Black dye... I used an alcohol based metallic dye... called ProDye, a leather dye actually, but very colorfast.  It penetrates to a medium level, and seems to be easy to sand back (as you can see).  Could have sanded back even more but with sanding block... whew... lots of sanding.  I think it came out ok tho.  The idea is that different softness/direction/opennes of the grain gets different color and vibrancy.  I think this what W does when they do a "Bengal Burst" - one of their nicest finishes, imho.

In your case then, you can black dye, sand back, sanding seal, sand back, blue lacquer to achieve color, then clear for some buildup of finish.

ive been interested in this stuff for a while, and it can be mixed with pretty much any thing, i e clear lacquer, shellac, waterbase finishes or catalyzed varnishes or lacquers. what do you think?

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishing_supplies/Colors,_tints,_and_stains/ColorTone_Concentrated_Liquid_Stains.html

i really like there blue.

Well, it goes like this -

The "color tone" products are actually Behlen, which is an arm of Mohawk.  Stewart/McDonald repackages it, and really makes a good deal of bling on it.

That is - you can get a QUART of dye for what they charge for that little squeeze bottle.  Same stuff.

Similarly...

You can get a quart of sealer for what they charge for a pint of "ColorTone".  Except for black (which is what I wanted) is a color they have made for them (or make themselves).  Behlen/Mohawk stocks it in clear, natural (light blondish), medium and dark brown.  But, you can tint it easily enough....

I like StewMac... but things like "$95.00" fret crowning files are just for the birds.  And... some of their stuff... the dual sided fret files for instance ... are iffy at best.  I've got some here that are noplace close to the specified size.  So, I had to gauge and remark them.  They work well enough, and one is now relegated to file starting only (its supposed to be .015 but is actually a near knife edge).  You have to really be careful with them.  But, the finishing stuff is good, just expensive.  Go online to Mohawk, and find a distributor close to you... buy it direct.

ok, i went to mohawk, they don't have distubutors near me,
and im not going to use that much stain, so me thinks im going to get them from stew mac.
little more cash for the convenience of the stew mac site.
I only need a little, and none of my other project ideas will be blue or black.

thank you for the help.

i just told my dad, and he said i could get small quantities at sherwin williams for cheap, and that way i won't have to order off the internet or go all the way to grand rapids. (i live in MI)

so i am happy as a clam.
i've done some stain work in the past, and my dad use to do it every day at work so i shouldn't have any problems,

and thank you for all the help CB  and you BFG and TFG both look awesome and a half.

its just a universal dye pigment.

edit:
my dad has an account there so he can get them to give him a little dye that they use to tint the paint.
and if the don't wanna he can get some from is boss.
but he's sure it will fly.

I get these updates from CB and get even MORE stoked!

WOW! Lookin' GREAT!

That neck looks sweet too! Love those diamond inlays!

Just to keep yer interest....

IMG_8900A.jpg

I've got some other pics... but... for now, here's the top, finish more or less final, ready for level and polish.    The neck is ready to nitro.. probably wednesday as things are looking... 12 hour days at work it seems.

I thought getting the bushings in before level and polish would be good... they sit under the surface by a bit... I'll just put some cotton in holes so the compound doesn't get too bad in there.

er, CB, you ever sleep?!
It's not a race, yah know!

Man! it's coming along nicely!

TY X 222,222,222,222,222,222,222,222,222,222,222!

Back