Tubes / Valves shortage ahead?

Logrinn

So I just placed a large order for ECC83's (12AX7's), EL84's and EZ81's for my Vox amps, because of ...

https://youtu.be/yv2_uiTwpTg

and

https://youtu.be/CATfmQTa-Cc

What do you guys think?
Time to consider an Orange Crush or some other solid state amp?
Or - like being said in the videos - some Fractal, AxeFX, Helix or something else?

Tubes and semiconductors at the same time. Neither is ony stockpile list.

I'm trying to figure out food I can stockpile which my Asperger's kid who eats about three things will eat. I'm not super worried about my fat self starving. A kid who lives in goldfish crackers, chicken nuggets and milk... I am a bit concerned that even "routine" shipping shortages of a few weeks could leave him in a bad place. 

Well, there is always JJ.  I suspect prices will go up, which hopefully will lead to JJ investing in more production.

Slovakia makes better tubes anyway...

Logrinn said:
So I just placed a large order for ECC83's (12AX7's), EL84's and EZ81'z for my Vox amps, because of ...

https://youtu.be/yv2_uiTwpTg

and

https://youtu.be/CATfmQTa-Cc

What do you guys think?
Time to consider an Orange Crush or some other solid state amp?
Or - like being said in the videos - some Fractal, AxeFX, Helix or something else?

Tl;dr I've got a big inventory of preamp tubes, and while I know those fail less often than power stage tubes, if anyone here is in need, I'll be glad to pass them along at my cost :).

First, I'm glad I did a deep dive into 12a(xt)7 tubes for my hybrid pedal amp. I'd bought a more than adequate inventory of both of these triodes including expensive NOS, less expensive used old stock, and new production. I've gauged them by quality & microphonics, so if prices skyrocket, I can maybe make some $$ profit on them.

Second, I think the 2nd linked video understates the value of modelers (as in good digital modellers are probably better for any level musician).

Way back when (1980s), a friend introduced me to the early modern SS amp designs which offered far superior fidelity to "A" class amp spec requirements which were based on 1940s tech assumptions. That amp was available in a "tweaked" version, which had been adjusted to match the transfer function of the then "best" available A grade amplifier. Additionally it offered 200w output as compared to the reference amp's 30w.

So I'm hip to the idea that objectively lower fidelity can sound better to the ear, and that it can be arrived at more than one way :).

Sadie-f said:
Way back when (1980s), a friend introduced me to the early modern SS amp designs which offered far superior fidelity to "A" class amp spec requirements which were based on 1940s tech assumptions. That amp was available in a "tweaked" version, which had been adjusted to match the transfer function of the then "best" available A grade amplifier. Additionally it offered 200w output as compared to the reference amp's 30w.

So I'm hip to the idea that objectively lower fidelity can sound better to the ear, and that it can be arrived at more than one way :).

I hear what you're saying, and I have tried so, so many amps over the years - I even owned and used several solid state amps - but I'm not up to speed with the latest types on the market, like the ones I mentioned: Kemper, Helix, AxeFX and so on.
The ones I've briefly tried left me very disappointed.
For me, I've often found that what seem to sound great in demos - and in fact they sound great also when I try them - is that there is something that feels very off when playing. The sound can be good, but it's like I have to work harder to play and it's never as enjoyable.

Eh, what do I know? I need to loose my negativity and try to embrace the new technology.

... but as of right now, I don't have to, since I have two lovely Vox amps that sound AND FEEL heavenly.
And two sets of backup tubes/valves on it's way when the ones in the amps needs changing. Which will probably be several years from now, I hope.
:icon_jokercolor:

I understand what you are saying but I’m almost the other way. 

I think the difference if using an Axe or Kemper is:
High end FRFR. Do NOT use a guitar cab
Superior IRs

I recently got a tube combo (Mesa MK V 35) for upstairs practice. Doesn’t feel as organic and overall much tighter.
I prefer my Axe

In fact I may stall a build I referenced so I can get a 2nd one for upstairs and sell the Mesa. It just does more of what I need unless I invest about another 800 -1000 into an analog pedal board. The delay alone is close to 500 and won’t do half the stuff I use regularly. 

Logrinn said:
I hear what you're saying, and I have tried so, so many amps over the years - I even owned and used several solid state amps - but I'm not up to speed with the latest types on the market, like the ones I mentioned: Kemper, Helix, AxeFX and so on.
The ones I've briefly tried left me very disappointed.
For me, I've often found that what seem to sound great in demos - and in fact they sound great also when I try them - is that there is something that feels very off when playing. The sound can be good, but it's like I have to work harder to play and it's never as enjoyable.

Eh, what do I know? I need to loose my negativity and try to embrace the new technology.

... but as of right now, I don't have to, since I have two lovely Vox amps that sound AND FEEL heavenly.
And two sets of backup tubes/valves on it's way when the ones in the amps needs changing. Which will probably be several years from now, I hope.
:icon_jokercolor:

Hehe, I'm also completely a fan of riding a horse you know and have history with.

I also own my Milkman hybrid for a reason, the magic in those preamp tubes is super easy to understand and moderately quick to hit a desired effect. Also, I paired it with a handmade cab using celestion's least "brown" speaker. The damn thing sounds nearly as clear as my reference headphones.

It does sound better than my SS amps, and the Axe, etc feels like serious overkill for my needs.

There looks to be a 25% price increase on various tubes at tube Depot, many of the Russian made ones are unavailable already, and most have an order limit of 10 units or less.

Team Axe / Kemper here.

Been playing tubes forever (Rectifier, Steavens Poundcake, Marshalls) but everything changed the moment I went Kemper (which was quite recently). No audible difference to tubes and unlimited potential rather than being stuck with one amp. This thread has a lot of background info on this: https://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=33813.0

But as TBurstStd said - don't go cab because it will color the sound way too much. I strongly suggest FRFR or good monitors.

All that said, I don't know anyone who went Kemper/Axe and then went back to tubes. The only reason I am keeping my Poundcake is romance.

alexreinhold said:
All that said, I don't know anyone who went Kemper/Axe and then went back to tubes. The only reason I am keeping my Poundcake is romance.

I did, or perhaps more true to say I have not replaced the Axe FXII and have a good tube/valve amp I have bought since then. I also have some UA plugins etc.

alexreinhold said:

I did, but I still have the Axe (two of them actually).  I do find that I can have a wider palette of sounds with the traditional rig.  But no one at the gig is gonna know :)

As I said, I went back to a tube amp for upstairs practice (bad back and don’t want or need to lug the rig up and down daily). 
About ready to ditch it.  I could keep the Mesa for the 1400 I spent and invest another 800-1000 for a minimal board ( so let’s say 2300 all in) or sell it for 1800 , use the additional 800-1000  and have 2700 towards a 2nd Axe FX. And FC unit. (Yes I plan to make 400 on the Mesa.  As I noted in another thread, got it for a good price).

To me it's a bit like cars. There is an inherent beauty in a purely mechanical 1970s Mercedes. You feel it, you enjoy it and it's awesome. But you know for a fact that a 2022 Mercedes is better in all regards. But you still you enjoy the 1970s Mercedes on a sunny Sunday more because it feels real.

I used to drive a 1999 0% digital Toyota Yaris for a long time and now I'm with a super digital Mazda. Is the Mazda better? Yes. Do I miss the Yaris? Yes. Would I go back to the Yaris. No.

That's how I feel about Kemper/Axe vs Tube.

Am I taking this too far?  :laughing7:

Lions and tigers and tube shortages.  Oh my.  Anyway I have my GT2 sans amp that doubles as a distortion pedal.

Tonally I'm more than happy with my previous generation Eleven Rack. The only complaints I have are that it's rackmount (and my only rackmount unit) and sometimes I wish I had more flexibility in routing silly stuff when I get a bug about doing something weird that probably won't be noticed by anyone listening. The only reason I could see replacing it is picking up that Headrush (son of Eleven Rack)  MX5 for when I play at church and don't want a rack to fiddle with. I paid $300 for it used. It's better than any of my tube amps - it actually sounds like they were supposed to.

Just had my Marshall completely retubed last year. Likely won't need new tubes again for a decade, and I have a complete backup set.

I'm more concerned about my EVH 5150iii 6L6. It's relatively new, still with the stock tubes. They likely won't need replacing for years either...but it's my main gigging amp. No backup set....but I'm not panicking. I've got other options.

Fact is, amp sales have been on the decline for years now. Modelers are where the future of guitar amplification lies. I'm a gnat's eyelash away from going ampless on gigs myself. Fractal modeling is indistinguishable from the real thing. The only thing holding me back is nostalgia....and all that empty space on stage.

You can always run an empty halfstack direct to the board for looks.

The Aaron said:
The only thing holding me back is nostalgia....and all that empty space on stage.

Easy to solve...
AqnfH8iCQAIXZ80.jpg

Back