Tubes / Valves shortage ahead?

stratamania said:
Almost any electronic device made today (if not all) has parts sourced from various parts of the world including Asia regardless of where they may be designed or put together into final product.
True, but there is still the labor involved in the final manufacture/assembly. And there are other issues with products fully assembled far from one's local economy. Environmental issues for one. Shipping costs for final products might tend to be higher also. But your point is well taken, in the global economy, and especially electronics, many parts used in local made products are sourced internationally.

Sourced globally, indeed ... just look at ehx.  Final assembly is here, in NY, but parts are scoured from around the globe.  Good stuff on tubes and how he designs.  Love that the designers have guitars next to their desks.  I miss working at home.  No guitar at my desk now :(

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wL2tCvRxPuE[/youtube]

alexreinhold said:
Ozopart said:
One question on the various options is where they are manufactured. I am looking into Kemper, Fractal and Neural at this point and it is unclear where they are made. Generally my theory is when they don't clearly tell you where they are made, you can assume Asia. Which would mean all three are made in Asia, but I am hoping at least one isn't.

Only read this now. I was at Kemper HQ. All devices are made in Germany. Next to their small business HQ, there's a actually a big factory building in which the Kempers are assembled - so 100% not Asia. That said, no clue which and how many of the parts are imported from Asia.
Good to know. As I said below, I understand global parts sourcing but it is good to know that final manufacture is not done in Asia. Germany has always been a high quality manufacturing country so I would be 100% good with Kemper.

Here's how to remedy tube shortages!

Attachments

• Quilter tele.JPG
    Quilter tele.JPG
    336.2 KB · Views: 59
I do like tubes however. Tube shortages have been on and off for years.

Attachments

• Marsh.JPG
    Marsh.JPG
    415.6 KB · Views: 53
Honestly, from what I've read, I'd be more worried about potential food shortages due to both the Ukraine & Russia being major wheat suppliers.

I have one tube amp combo that I love dearly but for home studio use I mainly use the Kemper. The combo amp is an extravagance to me.

No doubt, there will be a disruption to supply. If there's suitable demand, manufacturers could well find themselves setting up away from conflict/war zones & sanctioned countries. The main staples for a gigging musician's rig is well known, so if you are doing work, it might be best to up your pre planning a notch.

@Re-Pete Good post. There are already concerns in parts of Western Europe of shortages as Ukraine is a large producer of wheat and sunflower oil.

Personally I am more concerned about the people than whether or not I can replace tubes or valves in a  couple of years or more.

I have been travelling the last week or so and am in a EU country that borders Ukraine. Twice this week I have met two Ukrainian families staying at the motel for one night on their way to an uncertain future. From a humanitarian point of view this is tragic.

stratamania said:
@Re-Pete Good post. There are already concerns in parts of Western Europe of shortages as Ukraine is a large producer of wheat and sunflower oil.

Personally I am more concerned about the people than whether or not I can replace tubes or valves in a  couple of years or more.

I have been travelling the last week or so and am in a EU country that borders Ukraine. Twice this week I have met two Ukrainian families staying at the motel for one night on their way to an uncertain future. From a humanitarian point of view this is tragic.

I second this 100%. I refrained from mentioning it because I think this forum's rules say we shouldn't talk about politics. But the situation is dire and tragic. As Europeans (we have not been more united in decades...), our full focus lies on giving shelter and aid to the women and children (the men stay to fight) who are fleeing from a war that makes no sense but to satisfy the power hunger of a lunatic. Europeans are suffering from critical energy supply shortages, Russians are suffering from brutal sanctions from the west and Ukrainians are dying...

Poland is collapsing because of the amounts of refugees coming in. Berlin is collapsing for the same reason - so, like so many others, I have been volunteering to funnel those families (who literally left everything behind - think about that for a second: jobs, companies, families, everything...) westbound.

So yeah, thinking about a tube shortage seems a bit trivial in this context. Though, it just goes to show how far-reaching this non-sensical war is...

rick2 said:
Well, I’m impressed, we made it 4 pages with out politics.

Did I do something wrong?  :icon_scratch:

I mentioned the elephant in the room. There is a war breaking out in Eastern Europe and it's where the music world gets many of it's tubes from. But more significantly, it's where a large chunk of the yearly harvest of wheat comes from. China supplies a lot of Tubes now with OEM supply for amp manufacturers. Inevitably they may step up production.
A wheat shortage, however, will impact around the world, not just the music industry. Prices of basic foods will rise & some foods will be unavailable as they prioritise where the remaining wheat stock is to be used.

rick2 said:
Well, I’m impressed, we made it 4 pages with out politics.

No one has given a political view, just stated some facts regarding an actual humanitarian crisis.

Pete Thorn has just done a video about his experience with purchase of power tubes. He went to Tube Amp Doctor in EU, bought their Red Base EL34 and then did an A/B on the same amp, with Dave Freidman, no less, doing the bias adjustment in between.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cgR0kI3PNY[/youtube]

Tube Depot has most JJ tubes back in stock (though at a slightly higher price than pre-shortage) for those who hadn't heard. I don't really need any at the moment, but I kind of feel like I should buy some for backups...  :tard:

https://tubedepot.com/t/brands/jj-electronic-tesla

Well that's a problem solved.  I'm not buying as i've got some nice NOS 6V6s in store and have no need for more.

I realize it's apples-and-oranges and these ain't claiming to be power tubes, but has anyone had any experience with gear sporting the Korg Nutube components?  Is it cloudy water, or is it soup?

https://korgnutube.com/en/

Back