troubleshooting my electronics... help?

jayson

hello,
I'm not getting any sound from my Warmoth thinline!. It's several months old and never given me any trouble before. Everything looks great. I can't see anything wrong with the wiring. Wiggling everything around does nothing. the jack seems to work since I can still tune the guitar with my electronic tuner plugged in but there's no sound through an amp, no hissing, popping, nothing. It worked one day, and the next nothing. I had no warning signs at all.

I'm thinking there must be a bad component but I have no idea how to pinpoint the culprit. All components are high quality so I'd hate to have to replace everything.

does anyone know how I can pinpoint the problem?

Much thanks,
jayson

Are you using a different, shorter cable to plug into the tuner? Makes no sense that you get signal to the tuner but not the amp. Have you tried another cable or your other amp?

Note: If you've been hitting the bong, make sure amp is turned on, plugged in and not set to 0...

Thanks for the reply,
I new the amp question was coming and no i wasn't smokin' anything, but I just checked the tuner again and you're rite I'm not getting anything now. I'm pretty sure i tuned it up yesterday before plugging in though. So I think i'll replace the jack tonight and see...

Is this an act? You gotta be kidding you dont even know if it's a cable, guitar or amp?

turn on the amp, plug one end of guitar cord in amp, put the other in your mouth, this might narrow things down a bit, I hope it points to your guitar.

What the hell are you talking about? Of course it's the guitar. You think i didn't check the damn cable and amp? I have 3 guitars 4 amps and a few cables. Everything is working except my thinline which i'm trying to troubleshoot rite now without your useless coments.

The jack was fine. anybody have anything useful to say here?

Yes i'm asking about GUITAR electronics not amps and cables.

Thanks

-CB- said:
Jeeze Alfang... lighten up on the bro.

thanks,
seems i got off to a bad start here. I guess when i wrote "component' he thought i meant my whole damn rig. i was refering to the guitars electronic components.

We know that, don't pay any attention to Alfang... When you said you were getting signal to the tuner but not the amp, the first thing to troubleshoot is cables/effects/amp etc.

Pull the strings and pickguard and just go through the circuit, pay attention to the leads coming from the jack to the vol pot and a grounding point, most likely cause of no signal are broken solder joints at those connects, but check for anything else loose while you're there.

Thanks again jackthehack. All the connections feel strong. I guess i'll start checking with a hot iron next.

What brand/make is the Thinline? You have a multimeter to check resistance? How old is the Thinline? You could have a broken volume pot. but I never saw a bad pot that didn't feel "funny" when you turned it....

It's a partscaster. Warmoth body and neck with parts ordered from all over the place. I do have a multi meter. I'm getting a reading of 527K on the tone and no reading at all on the volume with it all the way up or down. does that point to a grounding issue or just a broken pot? 

Here's a pic
DSC00332.jpg

OK i just quickly replaced the volume pot with a new one i had here and now it's working. I'll wait for the weekend to resolder it properly. the old pot is a cts only a few months old. it feels good so i don't know exactly what happened. thanks for your help!

jayson said:
OK i just quickly replaced the volume pot with a new one i had here and now it's working. I'll wait for the weekend to resolder it properly. the old pot is a cts only a few months old. it feels good so i don't know exactly what happened. thanks for your help!

mate the exact same thing happend to me. except only half the volume pot died. so it was working up until you got past half way and then it would just crackle and cut out. But at least it gives you an excuse to open up the guitar and get the soldering iron out!  I like your thinline also, whats the body made of?

jr

Sorry, I really didn't want you to get hurt. Your Guitar looks great;. love the wood and the pearloid pickguard.

No problem Alfang, I normally would have laughed and I realize that my post was confusing, but I was just a little ticked off at the time because I couldn't figure out what was wrong.

Jackthehack, thanks, It's my favorite guit rite now. It's a little blingy, but it sounds awesome.

JR, it's an alder body. It was actually one of the cheapest thinline bodies at the time and I bought it in order to paint it black but once i saw the maple top up close I just couldn't put paint on it.

Thanks CD

Back