Top-Rout Musiclander bodies

The OG fender Musiclander/Swinger/Arrow was such a cool guitar. You’ve already got the body shape, the mustang pickguard, and arrow-head necks available, why not make a top-rout option for the Musiclander body so we can make our own version of one of the coolest obscure guitars of the late 1960s!
I don’t know what CAD you guys use for your CNC operations, but my own experience with CNC operations leads me to believe you should be able to simply transfer the mustang pickup and control cavity toolpaths directly to the musiclander body with very little hassle at all— and I think it would become a *much* more popular body option if you made it available this way.

I would also appreciate a top-routed Musiclander option. However, I would not suggest the Mustang route even if it was scaled up properly.

First, Warmoth's 25.5" Musiclander variant offers up to 3 pickups. The Mustang's 2 pickup rout won't do, but an additional option for a universal swimming pool might for those of us who don't already prefer the structure of HSH carves and the like.

Meanwhile, Warmoth's rear-routed Musiclander has a relatively large amount of room for controls. To make up for some of the space lost with a front-routed body, I suggest carving at least one switch in a horn. I prefer the larger top horn, but that isn't covered by either the original pickguard or the Mustang's. The 2019 Japanese Musiclander kept the original pickguard shape and added a 2 pickup variant with the switch in the lower horn. I can see how that would be considered more consistent. Though I suggest specifically offering a blade switch in the custom pickguard wizard since most of us can drill a hole on our own.

Some, like me, also appreciate the front jack of the original and may still desire a metal control plate for stability. The Mustang plate might still work, but it was originally on a 22.5" scale Musiclander. From what I've seen online, the Japanese version was 24" scale and had an annoying gap between the plate and pickguard. I suggest first extending the Warmoth pickguard through any potential gap and perhaps all of the space the control plate covers to make it optional. Then we can just place the plate over it or cut into the pickguard if we desire.

Honestly, at this point I've lost nearly all of my fear of carving into finished bodies compared to the money/time involved in painting and poly-finishing a body in my area post-order. I'm curious if I can order just pickup and bridge carves with no controls. Then I'd buy a pickguard blank and carve what I want myself. I can see how that's not for everyone though.

I would rather see a mustang body redesigned for a 25.5" neck.  Either option would require an enlarged version of the mustang pickguard.

Incidentally, I don't mind the idea of a 3-pickup guitar, but I'm not sure how you are going to fit a 5-way blade switch onto a mustang pickguard.

I posted about my idea for a 25.5" scale mustang here:
https://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=32185

JohnnyHardtail said:
I would rather see a mustang body redesigned for a 25.5" neck.  Either option would require an enlarged version of the mustang pickguard.

Incidentally, I don't mind the idea of a 3-pickup guitar, but I'm not sure how you are going to fit a 5-way blade switch onto a mustang pickguard.

I posted about my idea for a 25.5" scale mustang here:
https://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=32185
There’s always the Adrian Belew blade switch location if the routing is significantly modified
uVcVvzpn8znZs9jJWwHioU-480-80.png

JohnnyHardtail said:
I would rather see a mustang body redesigned for a 25.5" neck....

Along those lines, a Musiclander body at a 24" scale could use a clone of the 2019 Japanese rerelease with the switch, use the Mustang control plate directly, and then work with Mustang/Jaguar necks. That would allow Warmoth to avoid arbitrary design decisions.

Granted, I don't care for the gap making me separate my pickups & switch from my knobs, but I'd likely get over it. Perhaps I'd try to come up with a solderless solution or maybe carve out the gap on mine and overlay a small pickguard patch.

ACWraith said:
Along those lines, a Musiclander body at a 24" scale could use a clone of the 2019 Japanese rerelease with the switch, use the Mustang control plate directly, and then work with Mustang/Jaguar necks. That would allow Warmoth to avoid arbitrary design decisions.
I love the Mustang control plate.  IMO Its an important part of what gives these guitars their vintage style.

It was interesting to see the Squire release the "Paranormal Cyclone" recently. 
I like the style, and I like the 24.75" scale length.
What I didn't like is the slide switches and lack of SS frets although its a Squire obviously..

Attachments

• 0377010509_fen_ins_cbr_1_nr.jpg
    0377010509_fen_ins_cbr_1_nr.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 107
Back