CAD models of ALL Products Available Upon Purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this may be a collision of one mindset with another, and the request the OP makes here would be reasonable in one context, while many of us see it as unreasonable or even uncouth to frame the request here.

In the opensource and maker community, it's good manners to share your design files and to build on stuff others share and then reinject it back into the community.  Indeed, it's bad manners to NOT participate that way.  But as a general proposition, the manufacturers participating are small scale operators, or hobbyists, and are - in many cases, but by no means all - just in it for the love of the undertaking, rather than primarily for profit.  NB:  A somewhat different dynamic characterizes software development, but some issues of sharing vs. proprietary development inhabit that world as well.

But for a larger, strictly for-profit entity, and perhaps more particularly one that deals in parts rather than finished instruments, the design files for those parts are at the heart of the product.  Warmoth is not an open-source participant for the goods it manufactures (except to the extent it conforms to specifications promulgated by Fender for certain products, which is not exactly open-source but is instead a de facto standard), and as such Warmoth does not rely for its success on the cross-pollination that the open-source world thrives on.  It competes with other larger, mature entities (Allparts, WD, Mighty Mite, etc.) as well as new entrants for whom the barriers to entry are not really substantial.  So Warmoth, by releasing its design files, would essentially be subsidizing the development costs of its new-entrant competitors and possibly rendering unearned competitive insight to its mature market adversaries.

For those of us who don't build our own parts from raw materials, and instead depend on Warmoth and other manufacturers, it is important that an ecosystem of healthy competitors in the field exist so we can reliably and consistently get what we want when we need a part.  As a member of the buy-not-build crowd, I'm okay with the top shelf supplier I prefer keeping its secrets.

I don't reckon the OP is looking to go into business in direct competition with Warmoth, but even if he is only an end-user, every part he builds himself is a lost sale opportunity for other players in the market.  It is unreasonable to expect a manufacturer to facilitate a lost sale.

And to the OP:  Describing the response of folks who are loyal customers as "bootlicking" is not a good way to ensure calm, rational dialog, so please consider being a little less judgmental while you remedy gaps in your knowledge.

Sorry if this is meandering, and I know my sentence structure is in places abominable.  Y'all be decent to each other.

Ian- Well said.  :icon_thumright:

TBurst Std said:
Mayfly said:
Hi Harry,

I really like your designs, but I build my own guitars.  Can you share your CAD files with me so I can have them made locally?

Thanks!
Mayfly
Post of the year
My thoughts exactly, that post should be framed, and hung on a wall!

I think Bagman67 may have hit the nail on the head somewhat regarding expectations between an open source and proprietary model.

In the software world, Microsoft has a proprietary OS, whereas there are variants of Linux which are open source, contributed to and largely free.

The problem arises when those who have adopted an open source free model think that proprietary property is in some way available to be shared or given away too and expect it to be so. That is then what is called piracy. Piracy is not romantic or sticking it to the man, it is often literally taking food out of honest working peoples mouths. Look what has happened to the recorded music industry itself.

Whatever model you choose is OK, but you have to recognise also where the boundaries are between the two models and not expect one to be the other.

Who the hell buys a $650 neck and then complains this much about it when they have access to a CNC and know how to use 3d modeling and design?

Obviously someone who has more tools than they do brains. I've seen people build their first neck from scratch with basic tools and have less issues than you are having with just cutting fret slots and figuring out how to route a neck pocket.

I really don't think it's Warmoths responsibility to supply cad models to the public. I use cad everyday and was able to find enough info online and through general measurements to develop my own models. I've had several guitar bodies made for me from cad drawings I created and were all spot on just from information I was able to glean on my own.

harryprayiv said:
Should’ve known I’d get these bootlicking replies on here.  I’ll just 3D scan their neck and share it online then. 

Hey harryprayiv, we are glad to have you here, but ad hominem attacks will not be tolerated on this forum. If you have any questions please read this: https://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=26498.0

harryprayiv said:
At the bare minimum, providing actual measurements of the neck that I just shelled out $650 for is a COMPLETELY reasonable request.

No, it's not. The price of the neck did not include an obligation to surrender the CAD files. As you said: designing this stuff is very difficult. Warmoth has many processes and designs that took years to develop and fine tune. We have spent literally millions on R&D over the last 40 years. That intellectual property is valuable to us, and we don't have any plans to make it "open source" any time soon. If people want to tear our bodies and necks apart to figure out how we built them, they can go ahead and do that, but we won't be giving the info away.

I could list thousands of companies, from food and beverage to auto, to pharma, to sports equipment, to any industry you care to name, who have tightly-guard IP, but I won't. Suffice it to say, Warmoth refusing to make their CAD programs public is not some weird bonkers thing.

harryprayiv said:
Untrue in my experience.  I got a lot of pushback about the options I wanted.  I’d have preferred to create my own radius on the fingerboard and neck profile but that was not an option even on the phone.

Warmoth does their best to accommodate all customer requests. We want make guitar parts for people. We have a dizzying array of custom options on all our products, that expands every year. Despite that, we are constantly asked for more, and sometimes have to say no. We are a production environment, and we can't spare one guy for one day or one week to work on one project that will get sold one time to one customer.

If you've bought the neck, measure the dimensions of the heel. There's your pocket size. As for the frets...[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6NRVTd960M[/youtube] 

Thank you for your more than gracious attempt to put this to bed.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWSxikeQKpY[/youtube]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back