top 100 solos...

yea that describes Buck Cherry about 100 percent
but, they are just the latest rendition of what has always been a an American right of passage; being the most obscene to parents guys on the block.
With out such bands sticking a finger up to society, we as Americans would lose our focus.

They Rock, Just because they sing songs like "To drunk to F*&K" does that make them bad? Come on how many times have you been there?

Personally, I would say that Buckcherry is Pretty has been, not like they've had an album be big for years now.

Avenged Sevenfold is a band that I would say has really taken the Cheesecore crown

and at least that band is really, really,really-really good  at what they do.

even if its... cheese.

Oh there's nothing wrong with Buckcherry per se; they make the kind of rock that's fun at a party (and great for getting frat boys with tribal tattoos all riled up :icon_jokercolor:). But for what it's worth, they're no worse than any other dude-rock band. Not my cup of tea, but I don't really have anything against them.

Then they bring us back to the original premise on 100 top solos
they are a party band, and in so are a great band, but as far as musicianship, have they created anything that will stand the test of time?
and so it goes, we want the 100 best solos, so we go by what we know, and then put Stairway on top?
when we can find some really great artist, that can play the fingers off Page and they do not even make the list?
which brings us back to BC again because my point is, what makes a great solo? and why is that important at which time?
party, musical theory, improvisation, or the ability to make your emotions peal?

I think when a mag like GW puts out a list, it is designed for the readership, not the musical community. Right now on face book you go to the site and they are polling the members about what they want in transcriptions, It seems they want to drop bass, and to add easy tabbed versions. OK, I read notation, I want music in notation, However the majority of readers can not even read tab and get it in time.

Think about it. I could teach most guys to play Stairway, so put it on top, if we try to teach someone to play slide and chicken pick as we manipulate the tone and volume we could put Roy Buchannon there, God forbid trying to get someone to Play a Al D song.

Personally he can be an a$$ sometimes, but as a guitarist I really respect Tad Kubler of The Hold Steady.  Check out Most People Are DJs.  At once it both makes fun of the classic guitar solo, and gives a schorching example to enjoy as well.  Its the best of both worlds, classic and new.

Viv Campbell in DIO:

- Rainbow In The Dark
- Last In Line

(this was Viv pre-puss-Leppard a.k.a. every album up to and including Pyromania)

THIS specific version of Peter Green and Fleetwood Mac doing "Jumping at Shadows" (live- Boston Tea Party 1970) has raised the hair on the back of my neck since the first time I heard it. The vibrato & note bending in the lead guitar work is phenominal. When Green is finishing the solo you can hear the cymbals rattling in the background....lots of passion in the playing. Gibson Les Paul (that Les Paul!) through a Fender Twin Reverb, I think.
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB6zg05CxYg&feature=related[/youtube]

Gotta admit to loving Eric Clapton's work on The Beatles "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" & the live version of SRV doing "Texas Flood" is one big jaw drop!

Newer stuff? I have always liked Pearl Jam's "Alive", Everclear's "Santa Monica" and quite a few others I can't put a name to at the moment.

ErogenousJones said:
Oh there's nothing wrong with Buckcherry per se; they make the kind of rock that's fun at a party (and great for getting frat boys with tribal tattoos all riled up :icon_jokercolor:). But for what it's worth, they're no worse than any other dude-rock band. Not my cup of tea, but I don't really have anything against them.

I think if Buck Cherry could've avoided the pop-hook trappings, they could've filled the void left by G 'n' R.  When I think of a Frat Boy rock, I think of Creed, Nickelback, Jack Johnson, Dave Mathews, and Incubus.  Incubus and Dave Mathews are Beethoven and Mozart compared to the other 3, BTW.

OzziePete said:
THIS specific version of Peter Green and Fleetwood Mac doing "Jumping at Shadows" (live- Boston Tea Party 1970) has raised the hair on the back of my neck since the first time I heard it. The vibrato & note bending in the lead guitar work is phenominal. When Green is finishing the solo you can hear the cymbals rattling in the background....lots of passion in the playing. Gibson Les Paul (that Les Paul!) through a Fender Twin Reverb, I think.
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB6zg05CxYg&feature=related[/youtube]

Wow man, that is stellar.  Thanks for posting, i wasn't familiar with this version before. 

John Sykes (Whitesnake) - Crying In The Rain

At 2:56 into the song Sykes says, "Your solo sucks!":

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYv3Y36bs54&feature=related[/youtube]

^ My daddy was a Roadie for Whitesnake. you know know roughly one third of what I know about him...

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Creed, Nickelback, Jack Johnson, Dave Mathews, and Incubus.  Incubus and Dave Mathews are Beethoven and Mozart compared to the other 3, BTW.

I COMPLETELY agree.

ErogenousJones said:
I still can't get into the Dave Matthews Band.  :dontknow:

Ditto - I attribute that to them being a generational thing (as in "not music from my generation").

...plus the navel-gazing cowboy-chord-strumming woe-is-me stuff never appealed to me - zzzzzz

Never could figure out why the flannel-wearing angst-ridden suburbanite teenager generation
always had this super-negative depressive vibe about life.  :icon_scratch:  Crank up the amps man!  :guitaristgif: 

AGWAN said:
^ My daddy was a Roadie for Whitesnake. you know know roughly one third of what I know about him...

About John Sykes?? tell us everything! I am a big fan!
(was he there for the Adrian Vandenberg and Steve Vai periods?)

Superlizard said:
ErogenousJones said:
I still can't get into the Dave Matthews Band.  :dontknow:

Ditto - I attribute that to them being a generational thing (as in "not music from my generation").

...plus the navel-gazing cowboy-chord-strumming woe-is-me stuff never appealed to me - zzzzzz

Never could figure out why the flannel-wearing angst-ridden suburbanite teenager generation
always had this super-negative depressive vibe about life.  :icon_scratch:  Crank up the amps man!   :guitaristgif: 
are you talking about the group who is represented by a person who became a millionaire off his music, then had a child so he goes off and sticks a shotgun in his mouth and pulls the trigger.

yea, I cannot figure that one out either. If I made it to the top and had a child, last thing I would want to do is leave it fatherless in the hands of a skanky whore.

With that kind of money, drop out and live a normal life.
why off yourself when you have arrived? Kinda stupid if you ask me.

Jusatele said:
are you talking about the group who is represented by a person who became a millionaire off his music, then had a child so he goes off and sticks a shotgun in his mouth and pulls the trigger.

yea, I cannot figure that one out either. If I made it to the top and had a child, last thing I would want to do is leave it fatherless in the hands of a skanky whore.

Generally, yes.

Music-wise in general and specifically, rock-genre:

70's - life's a party
80's - life's an excessive party
90's - woe-is-me-my-life-sucks-even-though-I-benefit-from-suburban-living-and-have-plenty-of-opportunity

What happened in the 90's?   :icon_scratch:

I view the popular music of each decade as a sort of "societal mental health" index
because preference in music is a major personality identifier.

I guess judging by Britney in the 00s then that decade is "party till you self destruct"

I think the entire 90s thing was a rebellion of the excessiveness of the 80s, How many more pyrotechnics, how many more necks on guitars,  how much higher can the hair go. How faster can we play a chromatic solo, Everything was insane, including my hair spray bill. Arena Rock with concerts that packed in thousands and you had to out perform last weeks hero.
Guys just anted to slow down.
then came along the Boy Band and instead of playing you had to be able to dance.

Superlizard said:
Jusatele said:

Generally, yes.

Music-wise in general and specifically, rock-genre:

70's - life's a party
80's - life's an excessive party
90's - woe-is-me-my-life-sucks-even-though-I-benefit-from-suburban-living-and-have-plenty-of-opportunity

What happened in the 90's?   :icon_scratch:

I view the popular music of each decade as a sort of "societal mental health" index
because preference in music is a major personality identifier.

well even the great frank zappa says music reflects the times, it doesnt make the times.

One can only assume something in society demanded the need for music to become dark and depressing. People seem to completely ignore the amazing opportunity. So many people back in school and even now at college have no idea what they want to do with their lives. i personally can't understand why, theres only 3 things ive ever wanted to do in my life.

Make music, learn about the world and the universe, and fly aircraft.

Back