TOM questions radius & height

S

swarfrat

What's the rundown on tune-o-matic bridges and radius/geometry? I know the big standard TOM is 12", but is it available for anyone with a 7.25"? I've been a die hard fender guy but I'm curious about a TOM for muting and cause it looks cool and I kinda want one for a hard tail shredder.

Anyone who's tried both recessed TOM and stop bar, did you have a preference? Was there anything you liked about one or the other? I suppose if there are no feasible radius options it's all kinda moot and I just need to find a fender bridge.

Well it really matters how comfortable you are with the distance of the strings from the body top in the picking area.

From a muting aspect, I don’t notice a difference.

If you are most familiar with Fender styles and not so much with Gibson styles, the recessed will offer the quicker transition.

I have multiples in both styles. Thoughts to have:
When playing Fender style, when going for an anchor point, go to the body. When playing Gibson style, go for the treble side adjuster ring.

I previously owned a cheap Ibanez guitar with a TOM and 25" scale length.  I found it really hard to get used to the higher height of the bridge and stop-tail compared to a flat-mount strat hardtail.  I wouldn't recommend this style of bridge unless you think its fun to adapt your playing style for no actual benefit.  The recessed TOM would feel more familiar, but I can't see a single good reason for choosing it over a conventional flat-mount strat bridge.

I'd suggest to look at all the flat mount bridges available - there are many!

I don't care for TOM bridges due to their design and comfort. They have too many sharp edges, and the saddles only have one axis of adjustment - no individual height adjustments. Then, they sit pretty tall so they require recessing to fix that.

When I think "hardtails", I often think of  Hipshot's offering...
41060C_800x.jpg

Read the description at the link - there's a lot to love about them. Machined brass base material, stainless saddles, softened edges, machined rather than cast, etc. Very comfy.

I wouldn't buy it from them, though. Shop around. It's clear Hipshot isn't interested in direct sales.

That looks functionally similar to the unknown possibly ESP bridge on my Zion.

I think I've sorta accepted that slab bodies and tight radius necks need adjustable bridges.

I'm actually on the edge of ordering a hybrid strat body and sticking the 7.25 boat neck on it. I have a bunch of poplar but was sorta looking to not get into another project and get a couple projects off the stack right now.

swarfrat said:
I think I've sorta accepted that slab bodies and tight radius necks need adjustable bridges.

Actually, more on carved tops than slabs, but especially with tight radius necks. In order to get good action without "boinking out", you need perfect frets and a fine-tunable bridge. Even then, a satisfactory setup will try your patience.

Yup. They're surprisingly expensive for being made in Taiwan, but in their defense I must say they're high quality parts of great design that perform well. I've used a few and have always been favorably impressed. The only thing I don't care for is the ostentatious trademark they apply...
613335_3600x2700_500.jpg

I understand being proud of a product, and they deserve to be, but there's a limit. If it weren't laser-etched on the part, I'd wager most people would remove it as it's quite tacky. It's like putting a bumper sticker on a Mercedes  :laughing7:

An alternative option to Hipshot might be Mann Made USA.
https://www.johnmannsguitarvault.com/shop/Parts/Guitar-Parts/Guitar-Bridges/MannMade-USA/p/MannMade-USA-FatBack-Hardtail-Bridge-2-18---Black-Nickel-x42807331.htm

If you're set on a TOM there are options out there with height adjustable saddles, that would make it possible to set it up with a 7,25" radius neck:

2585-010.jpg

From watching the Babicz TOM bridge installation video, it is supplied with a spacer to it sits flush with the body of the guitar, ie. Full contact.
Their website does not show full dimensions, but it looks like it probably wouldn't fit Warmoth's recessed TOM routing.  Interesting product though.

This might help someone else some day, but I've pretty much nixed the idea. I'm currently waffling on other bits to avoid pulling the trigger. At the moment it's between a Hybrid strat body and a Tele body, and whether I'll go poplar, basswood, or showcase (ash), and whether to use the wilky 3 saddle compensated bridge I bought or just find a high mass brass six saddle.

Cagey said:
Yup. They're surprisingly expensive for being made in Taiwan, but in their defense I must say they're high quality parts of great design that perform well. I've used a few and have always been favorably impressed. The only thing I don't care for is the ostentatious trademark they apply...
613335_3600x2700_500.jpg

I understand being proud of a product, and they deserve to be, but there's a limit. If it weren't laser-etched on the part, I'd wager most people would remove it as it's quite tacky. It's like putting a bumper sticker on a Mercedes  :laughing7:

I completely agree here.  I would buy that unit if it weren't for the obnoxious branding.  Ruins the look of a beautiful piece of hardware IMO.

Cagey said:
I wouldn't buy it from them, though. Shop around. It's clear Hipshot isn't interested in direct sales.

What do you mean? I purchased both a set of locking tuners and a TOM with stop-bar in nickel just recently and they were sent with no problems whatsoever. Are they cheaper elsewhere or something?

Right. They're a great company and a joy to do business with. Knowledgeable staff, good stock of a fine product, fast response, etc. But, they clearly want to protect their dealers, as they charge at or near list price for all their goods, while their dealers are allowed to compete with each other. As a result, it's generally cheaper to buy their stuff from a dealer than it is from them.

those babicz bridges always look like a 57 chevy boinked a zippo and birthed a guitar bridge. kinda overdesigned, imoo (in my own opinion). if you want a TOM with a small radius, bust out those spicy saddle files. most TOMs are made of really cheap metal, tbph (to be perfrectly honest) so it shouldn't be too hard. desperate times call for desperate housewives, dawg

Aah ok, I understand. I don't mind having paid a bit more to get my tuners and bridge directly from them, might as well give it all to the company producing it. They seem like nice parts as far as I can tell, though my guitar is still in process so I can't really test them out.

Back