TOM bridges w/ adjustable string height?

Isurus

I posted something similar in the Hardware category, but will rephrase here.

I've never used a TOM or similar bridge.  Aside from filing the individual string slots, are there any TOM or similar hardtail bridges with individual adjustable string heights?  I'm planning my next build and like the 10-16" neck radius.  But I haven't seen a 16" radius TOM so assume one needs to adjust individual string height in some other way.

Also - as a newbie to this style of bridge, I'm also looking for feedback on the standard Warmoth options for bridge routes - Gibson-style vs Gotoh wraparound vs recessed and string through.  Any opinions on these options are appreciated.

Its a good question!  However I would question why not choose a flat mount bridge.  Adjustable radius is much preferable, as a fixed radius is never going to allow fine tuning of the action.

If you haven't used a TOM bridge before, you should be aware of how bulky it feels under the palm of your hand.  I haven't tried the recessed TOM route, but I'm reluctant to ever own a guitar with a TOM bridge again.

Not a traditional TOM but Babicz make a version that does have individually adjustable saddles.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWtFH0EOj6Y
[/youtube]

At a 2.125" string spread at the bridge, the height difference between a 12" and a 16" radius (measured on the outside strings) is only 0.012".  You should be able to do that with a diamond file if you detect any problems.

+1 on the Babicz bridge.  I use Babicz bridges on most of my builds. 

Bill, tgo

Back