Tobacco Burst Black Korina Strat

As I see it, a genuine "F" neck deserves genuine "F" tuners. By Schaller. I've used these tuners in the past and really like them.
Assy1.small.jpeg

Sometimes it's a project to retrofit these tuners, but on this American neck they were a drop-in replacement. Which hurt my feelings not at all.
Assy2.small.jpeg

Assy3.small.jpeg

Assy4.small.jpeg

The neck pocket on this Strat body was remarkably clean, most of what you can see here is "in" the wood as opposed to "on" the wood.
Assy5.small.jpeg

Just a little touchup around the front lip and the back wall and corners.
Assy6.small.jpeg

Attaching the trem claw ground.
Assy7.small.jpeg

I was all ready to get into drilling those awful trem claw screw holes when I saw that Warmoth had taken care of that for me. I was most pleased.
Assy8.small.jpeg

Installed using genuine Callaham screws. Everybody knows that's the secret to creamy Strat tone.
Assy9.small.jpeg

A healthy countersink to clear the finish from around the bridge screw holes. Another set of holes that I am most pleased to have Warmoth take care of. I've done them by hand and it's stressful; if they aren't perfect the trem will never work right.
Assy10.small.jpeg

As I was installing the first screw, I could feel it bottoming out against the bottom of the existing pilot hole. To avoid any unpleasantness, I went ahead and drilled them out clear through to the trem cavity. Good thing, 'cause they used all of that and then some. The Callaham screws must be a little longer to hold the extra tone. The little chip is unfortunate, but if it had to happen anywhere, inside the trem cavity under the springs is about as good a place as could be had!
Assy11.small.jpeg

Looks good to me!
Assy12.small.jpeg

Looking very guitar-like! And I like it indeed.
Assy13.small.jpeg

The pickguard she's modeling is a plastic one that I have lying around, still waiting on the black anodized aluminum one from Tone Guard. I won't drill the pickguard holes till I have it. I actually sent this picture to Wayne at Tone Guard, saying, "Sure would be awesome to have my pickguard right about now!"

Thanks muchly, and welcome to the forum! Your screen name immediately put Jeff Beck's "Big Block" in my head, which I reckon is plenty fitting for a Strat thread!

If anyone needed a reminder about how gorgeous Black Korina can look, they don't need to look any further...

It really is an impressive wood, seems every example is just astounding. I've got this going right now, then there's a Black Korina Jazzmaster finished in Transparent Red waiting in the wings. I've kind of developed a bit of a "thing" for it I think... The Jazzmaster can bee seen here if you're looking for some more BK eye candy.

I installed the strap buttons today and went ahead and strung her up. No reason I can't be tending to the setup while I wait for the pickguard fairy to arrive.

Verne Bunsen said:
Thanks muchly, and welcome to the forum! Your screen name immediately put Jeff Beck's "Big Block" in my head, which I reckon is plenty fitting for a Strat thread!
I would say it is! 

Hopefully that pickguard fairy shows up soon.  :blob7:

So still no sign of the Tone-Guard pickguard. I finally caved and ordered a matte black guard from Warmoth; I'll pursue getting a refund on the other. But if you see a brand new black anodized aluminum Strat pickguard pop up in the "Gear For Sale" section, then you'll know what happened. I'm still holding out hope that the two Jazzmaster guards I have on order from him will come through, I've got a little while before they start putting me in a bind.

So it's matte black with parchment knobs, pickup covers and switch tip. Although not pictured here, the trem arm tip is also parchment. I initially wired it up with a push pull for phase-reversal on the middle pickup, but during the post wire-up "tap test" I found the middle pickup was cutting out intermittently and the shaft of the switch had to be wiggled about with gusto to get it back. I yarded it out and swapped in a regular pot. Wiring up a pickguard at 2:00 in the morning leads to very efficient problem solving... As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I used a Super Switch to allow me to get the full bridge in position 1 and the tapped bridge in position 2 without any extra fumbling. I opted for separate caps for the tone controls, a .047 on the rear and .022 on the forward. Switching goes:

1) Full bridge / Rear tone (.047uf)
2) Tapped bridge + Middle / Forward tone (.022uf)
3) Middle / Forward tone (.022uf)
4) Neck + Middle / Forward tone (.022uf)
5) Neck / Forward tone (.022uf)

Pickguard1.small.jpeg

Pickguard2.small.jpeg

Well, this is coming along beautifully. What a drag, tho’, about the pickguard! Would love to hear how it sounds once you've got it all together!

Thanks Glimmer! I'll definitely get some sound clips posted down the line. The pickguard thing has been a drag. The guy has evidently had some unfortunate stuff to deal with in his personal life. The lead time would be more tolerable if not for the constant communication blackouts. He finally sent me an e-mail a couple of weeks ago and I replied just hours later with some follow up questions, no response from him. Right back in the dark. That's the frustrating part. Whatcha gonna do?

Hopefully I'll get to hear this thing today!

Verne Bunsen said:
Hopefully I'll get to hear this thing today!

Aside from occasionally noodling on a bandmate's Strat I've no experience with that model guitar and can't imagine what all the custom bits do / sound like, hence my question. I'll look forward to any clips you may post and in the meanwhile wish you good luck wrapping up this beauty.

Done and done! She sounds fantastic and plays very nicely. I am really happy with how the pickups turned out. Sound clips and Glam Shots will be forthcoming, but here's a couple of candids for now:

Final1.small.jpeg

Final2.small.jpeg

Final3.small.jpeg

Thanks! There is certainly a family resemblance there... I'd be lying if I said your JM didn't have some influence when I was spec'ing this one out.  :eek:ccasion14:

Thanks! This Strat + some vibe + my SuperSonic 22 on Burn channel = Mad Season tunes all afternoon  :guitarplayer2:

the finish on that body is gorgeous, i also like the weber attenuator sitting on top of the fender tweed, waiting to be plugged in, been down that road before buddy, haha!

maxwell edison said:
the finish on that body is gorgeous, i also like the weber attenuator sitting on top of the fender tweed, waiting to be plugged in, been down that road before buddy, haha!

You know the score, Blues Deluxe is a beast! Phenomenal amp though, I'm re-surprised by how good it sounds every time I plug in to it.

Back