TINTED TRU-OIL ON ALDER?

jamesabrush

Hey guys, I was wondering if by any chance some of you have tried tinting tru-oil and applying it to alder.  I just got my strat body in the mail today and I have the tru-oil and the tint, but I can't decide if I want to first lay down a couple layers of tru-oil, then add the tint to the oil and continue, or if I want to tint the first coats as well.  I'm going for a sort of black, translucent finish.  Any comments would be much appreciated!

I personally have never seen it done, but I dont see why you couldnt as long as the tint is oil compatible. If you try it and it works post some pictures, I think it would be cool to do.

Having never tried it, not sure how that's going to work; what kind of tint are you going to try to use?

This will no doubt take a bit of experimentation to see if it'll give you the results you seek. As you live in S.C., I know there's a Home Depot or Lowe's near you, go spend a couple of bucks there and get a piece of red oak 1x4 board there to experiment on. If you need to build up your arm muscles, you can use a part of a flat surface on the Strat body that would be easy to sand back down.

Go to a drug store and get a graduated eyedropper or a syringe without a needle that will allow you to measure out 1 cc of the Tru-oil. Put that in a small cup and add the tint a drop at a time and test it on the board/body to see if you can get the effect that you're looking for. If that works out, extrapolate the number of tint drops to the number of cc's in the bottle and go to town.

Post pics?

Well, I have a black Mixol universal tint that I'm going to use.  It is supposedly compatible with almost any type of finish imaginable - that's why I got it.  You said to go get red oak to test on... Does that wood have similar qualities to alder when finishing?  I have already taken some pics of the bare body and I'm gonna try and take pic all along the way - hopefully I can post them as I go and you guys will be able to see the whole process.

Here's the body I just received.  Its a SSS hardtail alder strat body.  I like the grain and its super smooth so I'm looking forward to working with it.

jamesabrush said:
Well, I have a black Mixol universal tint that I'm going to use.  It is supposedly compatible with almost any type of finish imaginable - that's why I got it.  You said to go get red oak to test on... Does that wood have similar qualities to alder when finishing?  I have already taken some pics of the bare body and I'm gonna try and take pic all along the way - hopefully I can post them as I go and you guys will be able to see the whole process.

The coloration's a little different, but it's cheap, similar in grain and readily available, should work for getting the tint/Tru-oil mixture right.

I tru-oiled my alder body. Works great, dents easily, I can still feel the grain of the wood. Exactly what I aimed for.

Check it.  Three coats of tru-oil.  Starting to really have quite a bit of depth.  I'm really liking the character of this piece of alder - lots of subtle grain.  So I did tint up the tru-oil and I have it ready to go... However, I am debating whether or not to do it.  Right now, this picture is just the tru oil.  If I add the tinted coats, the final product will merely be darker... Do you guys think I should go for it?

I'd say go for it, BUT, test it out in the pickup/controls route first before overlaying the rest of the body. If you test it on part of the body that shows and need to sand it back because it doesn't work out/you don't like the result it will be a bitch getting the finish back level.

jackthehack said:
I'd say go for it, BUT, test it out in the pickup/controls route first before overlaying the rest of the body. If you test it on part of the body that shows and need to sand it back because it doesn't work out/you don't like the result it will be a bitch getting the finish back level.

+1, use some of the wood that is going to be covered up anyway. Im with Luke though, that thing is nice all on its own.

Well, here's a picture of the front.  It's turning out to be nowhere near what I thought it was going to be... But it is looking really nice.  The only problem I can see with testing the tinted oil out on the routing is that it is much rougher and wouldn't give an accurate representation of the final product.  Also, the tinted tru-oil worked great on a piece of scrap wood as a first coat.  It really worked like a tru-oil stain if there were such a thing.  However, my attempts to add color to the scrap wood when it already had a couple layers of non-tinted tru-oil were somewhat in vain.  The layers of tru-oil that go on after the first few coats are so thin that the color of the coats after the wood is already filled matters very little.  Basically, unless you use the tinted tru-oil first, on the wood that you want to tint, it will be very hard to get any depth of color out of coats following the first few.  The only reason I didn't do that in the first place is that I've heard alder can be very blotchy when it is stained. Is that an accurate statement?  Anyway, I don't want to sand all the way back down to wood again - in fact, I'm not even sure how possible that would be with tru-oil - so I'm just gonna build the guitar as it goes and jettison my original plans.  I'm thinking about a white pearloid pickguard and gold hardware with this one...  What do you guys think?

Ya... I'm leaning towards the natural look.  But does anyone know a good way to add color over top of tru-oil? Shellac maybe? French polish?

I love it the way it is, but I would like to see you try the tinted tru oil anyway.. :)

Looks great!  I'm thinking of doing the same thing to alder but would like it a little darker as well....  Same boat as you I guess.

Back