Finish Suggestions for a Roasted Maple Top

Dero08

Hello finishing experts! i am I finishing this Mooncaster, but not quite sure what to do with the top. I am thinking about a hand-rubbed oil (danish, tru, or Tung), followed with some arm r seal. however, I am worried that the top won’t look good as it is. Any suggestions? I have some keda, JE Moser, and trans tint aniline dyes I could apply.

I will be going with gold hardware.

If you got dyes ... what colors float your boat? Have you looked at finishes in a book like 1001 Guitars to dream of playing before you die? You could probably get the book for 10 bucks on Abe or thrift. Or maybe you have some other source of inspiration like a memory of a beach at sunset. Generally, finishes will age with a little bit of yellowing, so maybe something orange or transparent yellow? Also, bursts are a lot more complicated than all the same tint.

i said it before, ill sayit again, i am not the one you want advice from but... what i have done in the past on one is a colored shellac, i would do it again, maybe

If you're feeling up to it, perhaps let the roasted maple sing its own song, and rub on a darker walnut burst edge with the dye. Clearcoat it and call it a win.

You could try experimenting on the exposed maple in the control cavity before committing to the whole finishing schedule.

Thanks everyone. For dyes, I have some brown variants (light to dark), amber, yellow, orange, black, etc. i was thinking maybe a coat of dark brown, then sanding it back, then applying the oil ... Something like that? I suppose I could try to get a test roasted maple from woodcraft

Ok, now I’m just confused … I sanded the top with 400 grit sandpaper, and now it looks really bad. The top and bottom are different shades, and the figured grain like disappeared from some sections … any ideas on what is going on here? I’ve never seen anything like this:

Ok, now I’m just confused … I sanded the top with 400 grit sandpaper, and now it looks really bad. The top and bottom are different shades, and the figured grain like disappeared from some sections … any ideas on what is going on here? I’ve never seen anything like this:

It was natural, when you sand it, the grains seems to be lighting, but all of them will pup-up when you oiling on it. no need to worry.

Ok, that makes sense … when they mailed it, it must have had a light coat of something on it. Thank you all!

on a side note, the maple looks really nice on the side with the danish oil … might have to just use that on the top. I may have some oil soluble dye I can mix with the danish oil to lighten it up a bit. I’m using the golden oak from Watco, but adding some amber may lighten it more. Or, I can use the polymerized tung oil and add some amber.

Back